Surprise captures from the amazing River Thames

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
My sincerest apologies to Steve who submitted this last year and I must have filed it in the wrong folder on my PC. I have only just found now whilst looking for other stuff. :eek:

However, it has not been outdated, the information contained is still of considerable interest.

andy_venn

Reaction score
Jeff,
Im sure, knowing Steve he will not mind a bit. This is one of a few reports that Steve has written about the TAC and the EA which goes a long way in explaning the EA's work on the thames.
More information on the TAC website.
andy

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
What a great article. Nice one.

And sort of pokes one in the eye of all those people who were complaining about the Thames being a fishless desert destined for the scrap heap and not worth wasting their time one.

Turns out it wasnt the lack of fish after all...they just did not know how to fish it and opted for easier options like the Trent instead ...:wh:wh

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Enjoyed that, good to see the thames alive and well.

Fish Richmond bridge area myself now and then. Had some good Bream and chub from there also.

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Time for a summer FM Thames Fish In? I saw three of four anglers bream fishing, and doing really well, at Canary Wharf a few years ago.

I think the tidal Thames is free to fish.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Mark,

I was up at Canary Wharf about this time last year.

Taking a 'smoke break' outside of the office I stood watching 32 Cormorants (yes, I counted them) standing on one of the moored barges in the river. There were 4 further barges with similar infestations of the same damn birds, and that was just in about 200 yards.

Still want a Canary Wharf Fish-In?

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
When everything froze solid earlier this year, I had a last-ditch session on the Nene where there was still some flowing water. About 25 cormorants greeted me on my arrival, all on one, 25-foot-wide pool. Lord knows what they'd managed to eat before my arrival.

Of course, the fact that they are there tells us that there are fish there, too. How many is hard to tell. But we know from the article that the main river is alive with silvers, and that's got its fair share of cormorants. It's also where I was suggesting we fish - on the main river, in the centre of London.

Thinking about it, fishing in such a public place might be a great opportunity to get some core messages across about angling's benefits to the environment - some massive banners reading something like: 'The Thames was dead. Now it's full of fish. Angling achieved this.'

As you can tell, I'm not someone who, faced with problems, just gives up.... ;-)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Fishing at Barnes Bridge

I fished many years ago (15 years) at Barnes Bridge which is just downstream from Richmond Bridge. I well remember catching 2 very small flatfish. I couldnt tell at that size wether they were dab or plaice but they both had very tiny reddish spots. I was very surprised at the time so, this article confirms the fact. Very interesting article..thanks

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Great work!

Often wondered where sea and freshwater territories crossed and this article goes some way in showing this and gives a good idea of river condition.....I was certainly suprised to see what they dragged up!

thames steve

Reaction score
My sincerest apologies to Steve who submitted this last year and I must have filed it in the wrong folder on my PC. I have only just found now whilst looking for other stuff. :eek:

However, it has not been outdated, the information contained is still of considerable interest.

No probs Jeff :) I thought the article didn't appear as must've been boring so noted to myself that I must try harder next time! :D

Glad some of you found it interesting.

---------- Post added at 10:39 ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 ----------

I fished many years ago (15 years) at Barnes Bridge which is just downstream from Richmond Bridge. I well remember catching 2 very small flatfish. I couldnt tell at that size wether they were dab or plaice but they both had very tiny reddish spots. I was very surprised at the time so, this article confirms the fact. Very interesting article..thanks

The red spots make people instantly think plaice but they were almost definitely flounder Mark....flounder, of course, sometimes also have red spots.

The tidal Thames is a main spawning area for flounder and they're seen some years even up on the non-tidal at Molesey/ Hampton Court, which is completely freshwater.

Dabs and plaice almost certainly wouldn't be that far upstream as they prefer higher salinity.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
No probs Jeff :) I thought the article didn't appear as must've been boring so noted to myself that I must try harder next time! :D

Glad some of you found it interesting.

---------- Post added at 10:39 ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 ----------

The red spots make people instantly think plaice but they were almost definitely flounder Mark....flounder, of course, sometimes also have red spots.

The tidal Thames is a main spawning area for flounder and they're seen some years even up on the non-tidal at Molesey/ Hampton Court, which is completely freshwater.

Dabs and plaice almost certainly wouldn't be that far upstream as they prefer higher salinity.

Thanks thames, I am sure you are correct. It was quite a long time ago and my memory is a bit faded but I do remember the red spots. The fish were very small and the spots very faint but, I didnt know flounders also have them on occasions.