Fishing Magic Update June 2011

Richard Hewitt

Administrator
Reaction score
FishingMagic Update. June 2011

I am delighted to update you on developments at FishingMagic.

As many of you will be aware FishingMagic was one of the earliest coarse fishing websites and started to really make an impact when Graham Marsden joined as Editor in 1999. Since then the site has developed into one of the largest and most respected coarse fishing websites in Europe.

Fish & Fly purchased the site in February 2009 from Magicalia Group and Graham continued as Editor until January 2010 when he retired specifically to concentrate on writing more of his wonderful fishing books whilst retaining the title of Editor Emeritus in recognition of his outstanding services to the site.

Since that time FishingMagic has been editorially steered by Jeff Woodhouse and Geoff Maynard reporting to our Fish and Fly Editor Paul Sharman. We have also enjoyed incredible support from our members producing some top quality and engaging content.

As part of our continued development and confidence in Fishing Magic and its superb supporters we have decided to appoint a new Editor and a new Sales Executive to the team.

Editor

I am pleased to advise that one of the UK’s leading and most respected anglers Ian Welch has agreed to join the team as Editor of FishingMagic with effect from 8th June 2011. Ian will also join our management team at Fish & Fly.

FishandFlyImage.jpg

Ian will be well known to most of you as a highly accomplished and respected angler and industry professional with extensive freshwater fishing experience and with a very wide range of published articles in the leading angling journals. His achievements in fishing are legendary and include the largest freshwater fish ever landed a giant freshwater sting ray weighing in excess of 55 stone from the Maeklong River in Thailand.

I know that working with the existing team Ian has some exciting plans for the site but not wishing to ‘steal his thunder’ as a taster here is a quote from Ian.

“Fishing Magic has long been regarded as the premier online angling site with a wealth of news, views, reviews and information to entertain, instruct and offer informed opinion to anglers of all disciplines and abilities.

Advances in digital technology now make online angling resources potentially more important and exciting than ever and I am delighted to be joining the Fishing Magic team at a time of great, and positive, change in the industry.

My input will continue to deliver the very best of what FishingMagic does now but will begin to expand the site to deliver a wealth of new material and to bring a fresh, new dimension to the whole online angling experience!”

Sales Executive

We are also delighted to advise that Will Barnard is joining us on the 8th June 2011 to head up the small team that will be advising both existing and new clients how best to market their services and products using digital media. Will also joins our management team at Fish & Fly.

Will_Barnard_Perch.jpg

Will is a highly motivated individual with extensive angling experience and industry knowledge with his recent roles including Account manager at Fox International and
Angling Development Officer at Reading Borough. He is also head coach for Reading and District junior angling initiative that includes coaching to young people from deprived and underprivileged backgrounds.

Will has contributed to FishingMagic previously with his articles and most recently with a feature on the Haven Caravan Park and Fishery at Burnham on Sea which has proven very successful for our client.

Working closely with Ian and the team here Will adds yet another new dimension to Fishing Magic.

………………………………..

I am sure these appointments will be seen in a very positive way and will also be an assurance that Fish & Fly are committed to grow FishingMagic and make it an even better resource for the members and guests that visit the site.

If you are not a member and wish to receive our free newsletter and to enjoy conversations on our friendly forums then please register here;

Sign-up

In the meantime thanks from all the team here go to our members and guests who support the site.

Richard and the team at Fish & Fly

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
A big welcome to Ian and Will.

I am still very thankful to Ian for securing us two waters free of charge to hold my sons memorial match via FM.

Welcome both of you.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
So thats why he didnt reply to my post, when I asked what he was doing after Cemex.

Right I notice Baz isnt around again, can someone let us know what is going on, please .

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
It's certainly excellent news that Ian (on the Editorial side) and Will (on the Sales side) have joined FM. I'm sure there will be further announcements and clarification soon, they don't actually get in the door (so to speak) until Wednesday!

As for Baz, unfortunately he overstepped the mark and has been banned (again!) by the site owner. A shame really, as there was a lot of behind the scenes work to get him back on, he just didn't play his part.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Re: Fishing Magic adds two new members to the team

Bu66er. There goes the neighbourhood! :)
Welcome aboard chaps.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Good luck Ian and Will. I think it goes without saying that you'll do an excellent job.

Regarding Baz, Jeff pleaded his case and went out of his way to get him back on board. He made certain promises to Jeff and I said it was fine by me when I was asked, as the person who banned him in the first place.

But he let everybody down and made a post that tried to made a mockery of the ban.

But that's all water under the bridge, should be forgotten, and the new team given all the support they can get to settle in and start a new era on FM.

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Re: Fishing Magic adds two new members to the team

You do wonder whether Richard H has fobbed them off with a look at some other website while encouraging them to take the job. Did they know this place if full of lunatics?

Too late now for them, though;)

In all seriousness, welcome gentlemen. Hope it all goes well for you.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Welcome Mr Welch, and Mr Barnard, may I suggest you join PaSC ASAP to have any credability on here, will mail you the subscription fee's for 2011,

PS. Not joining is not an option.
PPS. He's a little b u g g er that Baz, shame

Last edited:

nicky

Reaction score
welcome guys i think this is good news hopefully it will spark some fresh life into the site

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Well I'm not happy about this

Jeff and Geoff were doing a fine job and would have been happy to carry on doing the job for free if Richard had given one a signed Terry Pratchet pointed hat and the other a cane with a gold (coloured) top to go with his purple crushed velvet suit, cape and fedora.

and then Richard the owner decide he'll hire Ian Welch (jus cos he's Rachel's dad and promised him that fur bikini she worn in that stone age film), for upward of £10,00 a year when he could have bought that FM lake I asked him to.

I'll be giving this editorial upstart a hard time when he start (unless he wants to send me some free stuff of course)

brian01

Reaction score
Jeff & Geoff Has done a great job for FM, Jeff Got the site back to what it should be, members talking about angling, and put a stop to all the bickering that was on here not so long ago, as it did bring the forum down, so a big well done from me Jeff.

Now as for Baz's post yes I did read it and I never seen anything wrong with it before it was moderated.

Seems to me that there is double standerds being played here.
Have a good read through this, not very nice is it.

Settling In Nicely, Thank You! - The Anglers Arms

Reaction score
Well Brian..thanks for the comments.

Perhaps as we welcome a brand new editorial team with a new vision and dynamism, dragging old sores isn't the most positive example for our new bods...but then you're entitled to do as you wish...within the very liberal rules of the forum.

So looking forward to continued positive support from you for the exciting ride which FM is starting on.

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
It's funny how the owner sees one of the few posts Baz made but ignores my 100's of post and never even sends me a shimano 4000 (and not one of those cheap ones but a stradic):eek:

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Jeff & Geoff Has done a great job for FM, Jeff Got the site back to what it should be, members talking about angling, and put a stop to all the bickering that was on here not so long ago, as it did bring the forum down, so a big well done from me Jeff.

Now as for Baz's post yes I did read it and I never seen anything wrong with it before it was moderated.

Seems to me that there is double standerds being played here.
Have a good read through this, not very nice is it.

Settling In Nicely, Thank You! - The Anglers Arms

I've been asked to plead with people not to post any more links to TAA as they been overwhelmed with applications since this one appeared, which is a waste of time as it's a private forum.

And PJ Tartley is not amused!:D

The Monk

Reaction score
Good luck with the new positions guys, sorry to hear about Baz, no Chritmas joke this year either eh, lol