ATr v EA – The Battle

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
A well thought out and constructed piece Jeff, I feel there should be only support for both organisations if this is instrumental in improving our fisheries.
Perhaps if ATr had more members then it could begin initiatives to force water companies to treat all sewage properly, both that discharged into rivers and the sea. Will it take a death or massive compensation claim before the water companies act?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
That was a good read. Despite a few shortcomings on both sides, that was quite a persuasive argument for parting with £52 a year.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Evening Boys and Girls,

This will no doubt reignite a lot of old arguments. We probably all know who is pro or anti the ATr by now, and unless you want to break the law you have to buy a licence, it is a compulsory tax, a legal requirement to pay if you want to fish. So, although this will probably be spitting in the wind, we don't need to rake over the old coals, ’the ATr are this or that’, ‘the web site doesn't mention me etc.’. ‘The EA have done, haven't done, won't do this or that’. They are what we’ve got.

We need Govt. influence and we need a pressure group to represent us, put our case to them and make them take us seriously. Otherwise, we simply do not exist, we will be ignored.

Jeff has put the two organisations into perspective, so how do we want Angling Politics to be run? You have a Govt dept on one side, a Govt who don't want to and won't deal seriously with loads of little groups, they demand one point of contact. No one point of contact = no high level discussion = no influence!

What do you want on the other side and how are you going to achieve it? Most of us won't pay a pound a week, if that continues the Govt will quite rightly conclude that they can happily cr*p all over us. (as they have literally done on the tidal Thames over the weekend!)

My current view is that after a very shaky start the ATr are beginning to make a difference. However, with the current pathetic levels of backing they are severely limited and that will limit the weight that they (we!!!) can add to the argument.

Any positive views on how to get some unity into angling? There are enough of us to be feared in the corridors of power, but little men on their own will be and are ignored.

I am not holding my breath but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised!

Stu

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
This will no doubt reignite a lot of old arguments.
That I didn't want either, like you say Stu, we know where everyone stands.

I just wanted to clear the ground between the two. How one has the law on it's side and the other can lobby to change the law. The two cannot do each other's job so in my view we do need them both.

The EA you have to support through the rod licence, as you say, that's the LAW. The ATr is voluntary, but it can do what the EA cannot do and dare not even get involved with.

As much as the ATr is not perfect yet (crikey it's only been going 2½ years isn't it?) it is has as been said a zillion times over, the only show in town so therefore the only body that can represent us. Now some (count them on the perpendicular digit) have said soemone else may come along and do it better, but soemone already had a go and it failed. If it was that easy then I am sure someone else would have done it by now.

Like I say though everyone known on here has made their mind up by now, fair enough, it's voluntary, you don't have to, but please don't use this thread as a stick to beat the bejasus out of ATr. All I was trying to do was highlight the two distinct roles that both organisations play.

thames steve

Reaction score
Well laid out arguments Jeff and shows where both the EA and ATr have their niche...and that we benefit from both.

EA Fisheries and the ATr talk to each other a lot. What one can't do, they ask the other to do as neither can do it all on their own.

When we get EA Fisheries, the ATr and fishing clubs like TVAA or TAC all working for the same things, as is happening, angling is much stronger for it.

chav professor

Reaction score
Well written artical. I havent read it untill now as I wanted to give it the time it deserves. What comes accross clear is that fishing needs both if its future is to continue in its current form. It concerns me that the ATr has so much on its shoulders and so few members - far from being a gravy train, I suspect most services offered to the ATr cannot be paid for at a reasonable rate and time given freely.

Sadly, unless anglers part with £25 (lets face it - unless you are under real financial pressure, the term 'tight-wad' springs to mind). Decisions will continue to be taken over our heads and we will have no credible representation. The limitations of EA fisheries is made quite clear - but the artical made me think how much work is done behind the scenes for the benifit of anglers - against the odds at times from within the same organisation (and I thought anglers were divided)......

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Why can't either the EA or Atr or preferably both allow people to pay monthly by DD ? Just about everybody else allows this. Ask me to stump up £52 in one go and I'll baulk....ask me for £5 a month and I'll sign up now.

Put this in context....when beloved daughter went to Uni we had to economise wherever we could and simply by not buying a daily paper I shall save £250 a year.That will pay for all my club memberships,licence and Atr subscription but I'd rather pay for them all at £20 a month than in one go.

Interesting article,nicely written. Christian...see me after for extra spelling lessons:D

Last edited:

klik2change

Reaction score
A useful comparison and clarification of the ATr and the EA, well written as Woody's stuff always is. Thanks Woody... however I do not think it helps to call it "The Battle" because it isn't one is it?

chav professor

Reaction score
Interesting article,nicely written. Christian...see me after for extra spelling lessons:D

I'm dyslexic.... for real and have support for teaching:D - computers are a life saver, Microsoft word, spell checker and cut and paste. You should see me try and do handwriting - its practically illedgibel:D:D:D