Big Chub – Thoughts and Observations

chav professor

Reaction score
Simon, a fascinating insight into the River Lea and your methods. Perhaps you have addressed a number of reasons why the bolt rig should comprise part of the Chub Fishermans armoury. Much of my fishing has taken place in the hours of darkness this year and it definately a most productive time to be by the river...............

bigchub

Reaction score
Simon, a fascinating insight into the River Lea and your methods. Perhaps you have addressed a number of reasons why the bolt rig should comprise part of the Chub Fishermans armoury. Much of my fishing has taken place in the hours of darkness this year and it definately a most productive time to be by the river...............

Chav come fishing with me and dad on the Waveney and I'll show you all you want to know about bolt rigging for chub. I'll even provide the boiles as well.. Can't say fairer than that.

Great article Simon and I share a lot of similar views with you on this style of chubbing. I'm certainly targeting the bigger fish at the moment and lost an absolute monster last week. Was well over 6lb and I'll be very happy when my supply of circle hooks arrive. Your and Bob's advice has proved invaluable to me and things have already improved with more bites as a result. I'll let you know when I get that 7lber and I have a funny feeling it won't be long.

I'd also like to add that if people are thinking about doing this style of chubbing then its very important to get into the "specimen hunter" mentality. I found this the hardest part to get my head around as its totally alien to any other sort of chubbing that you are likely to encounter. Its all a matter of quality over quantity and if you are prepared to put in the time then you will get the rewards.

Its also not just a method for the bigger rivers. It works equally well on smaller rivers. Like yourself Simon I have fished the Ivel and that's not exactly big is it?
I also found that even with big leads the chub didn't mind it landing just about on their heads. In about 3 feet of gin clear water it didn't spook them so that's another myth dispelled.....

Last edited:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Simon,

Well done mate, one of the best articles on that form (well the only one) of Chub fishing, that I have ever read ?

It should dispell some of the Myths about Bolt Rigging for Chub.

Bob

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
And could I also say the 5th picture down is a Craker, no wonder so many anglers call it an " 8 ".

Your a very honest angler :)

Bob

bigchub

Reaction score
Simon - Interesting to note your use of a lead clip for the lead. I was thinking of doing this myself so it would be easier to change leads. I take it you use these in conjunction with tail rubbers and then push the swivel into the clip as per normal. No tubing above the lead then?

Simon K

Reaction score
Simon - Interesting to note your use of a lead clip for the lead. I was thinking of doing this myself so it would be easier to change leads. I take it you use these in conjunction with tail rubbers and then push the swivel into the clip as per normal. No tubing above the lead then?

Yes, exactly that. No need for tubing, the backlead keeps the line pinned down.

Something that just struck me is that all of my favoured swims are "open", no snags that I'm aware of. Chub are often associated with snags, yet I've never considered that in my swim selection, other than trying NOT to fish to them. And I think I've proved the point with the results so far?

Thanks for the comments chaps, I enjoyed writing it and hope it helps some of you in some small way at least.

Hmmmm, my 7.15 had come out several times before I caught it and at different times of the season, to "unknown" anglers (who I know and talk to) and it's always been just under 8lb. It's an easily recognised fish due to the split in the tail.
Funny that it should get caught the season after by a "name" Cup chaser and it magically hits 8lb 1oz.

Guess one of us will just have to catch it again and see what's what, eh? :D

Last edited:

bigchub

Reaction score
It's an easily recognised fish due to the split in the tail.

I was going to start a thread on chub recognition. Apart from distinguishing features like you mentioned how the hell do you tell different chub apart? Its fairly easy with barbel and other fish but what about chub?

guest61

Reaction score
I read the article and enjoyed it as a piece of writing as much as anything - I look forward to more.

Mark

gonebreaming

Reaction score
Very interesting and informative article Simon. I have had several sixes from the Ribble . Mostly caught using simaler methods you describe . Most of these fish I have caught have come when the chub are ravenous ,coming to all methods and baits . Catching a' seven ' has defeated me so far .There are times when I know there are fish in my swim that I can't catch. Always thinking that there is a possibility of a huge fish being present . That thought keeps me going . Am I right in thinking you may have experienced the same thoughts ?
Regards Breamer

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Excellent article with great info for the budding 'big chub' angler!

I re-read Peter Stones book 'Fishing for Big Chub' recently and his efforts to catch a specific fish which he eventually did (7lb 5oz) but on sardines,from astillwater and very close in....

Purely out of interest but I wondered if the author has already been down this route before going for boilies..............?

ps I can see crayfish would be a problem so I supose boilies help in this regard...

Last edited:

Simon K

Reaction score
Excellent article with great info for the budding 'big chub' angler!

I re-read Peter Stones book 'Fishing for Big Chub' recently and his efforts to catch a specific fish which he eventually did (7lb 5oz) but on sardines,from astillwater and very close in....

Purely out of interest but I wondered if the author has already been down this route before going for boilies..............?

ps I can see crayfish would be a problem so I supose boilies help in this regard...

I have used sardine head and lamprey section several times in the distant past before going down the boilie route, but to no avail and quickly gave it up because of the crayfish problem.

GoneBream,
Over the last few years I've built up a picture of the stretches I fish where I can comfortably say there are 10 proven or likely 8lb+ Chub, so I tend to concentrate my efforts where those fish are likely to be. After that it's down to time and luck.
Fortunately for me, most of the Lea anglers are after the barbel, so I tend to get some of the prime winter chub areas to myself. :)

tesco value

Reaction score
Simon, a fantastic read. I know from experience the scale of the challenge involved in just locating, let alone consistently catching those elusive Lea chub.
It’s a hard river along the stretches where the leviathans live. I had a cemex ticket for a while and in about 15 trips I only hooked one biggie. It came off as well...

chav professor

Reaction score
Yes, exactly that. No need for tubing, the backlead keeps the line pinned down.

Something that just struck me is that all of my favoured swims are "open", no snags that I'm aware of. Chub are often associated with snags, yet I've never considered that in my swim selection, other than trying NOT to fish to them. And I think I've proved the point with the results so far?

Thanks for the comments chaps, I enjoyed writing it and hope it helps some of you in some small way at least.

Hmmmm, my 7.15 had come out several times before I caught it and at different times of the season, to "unknown" anglers (who I know and talk to) and it's always been just under 8lb. It's an easily recognised fish due to the split in the tail.
Funny that it should get caught the season after by a "name" Cup chaser and it magically hits 8lb 1oz.

Guess one of us will just have to catch it again and see what's what, eh? :D

Its interesting you mention 'open' swims - most of my bigger chub have come from more open sections of river. typical features often hold fish ranging from from 1.5 to mid 4lb fish. It is then a lottery as smaller fish compete as hard and it is a game of odds.

Last edited:

Simon K

Reaction score
Its interesting you mention 'open' swims - most of my bigger chub have come from more open sections of river.

As have all the really big chub I know of. I also have an innate aversion to "snag-fishing". The point I made in the piece is that chub are much more mobile after dark and I take advantage of that. At one place I fish there's enough ambient streetlight that I regularly see them under my rod-tips patrolling along the marginal shelf picking up bits and pieces as they go.