The Pope’s River Diary - August: Every Kinda People

richiekelly

Reaction score
location and simple rigs eh, who would have thought that, by the way i agree with the above as well.

Reaction score
Great to see happy folk catching whiskers Steve,

Would br interesting to hear more details of your baiting regimen?

As for the chair? How useful is a 7-8kg barbelling chair?

You've got to have a lot of faith in a car park swim to get the maximum use out of that monster!?

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Oh I don't know, hemp as cheap as chips, and casters at £2.50 a pint.

Less than £20 for results like that, between two or 3 people!

Who needs sponsorship?
The old green eye is showing Your Lordship!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

cg74

Reaction score
6 pints of hemp and 6 pints of caters - only a sponorsed angler can afford to fish like that

You are looking rather jealous there?!

If you're not a sponsored angler, 6 pints of unprepared hemp costs about £2-£3 (and a little effort), 6 pints of casters at full shop price is about £12, though if you buy relatively large quantities of bait on a regular basis, most shops will do you a deal.

Even at full price, £15 for a good fishing session ain't that bad, besides you could drop 2 pints of the casters and increase the hemp pro rata, I'm sure you'll get a similar end result.

Now if Steve had written 6kg of boilies and 6kg of 'special' pellets, I'd agree with your comment BUT he didn't!
And wasn't that the total quantity of bait for two anglers, actually three if Steve wetted his line??

Nice read Steve, cheers.

Reaction score
6 pints of hemp and 6 pints of caters - only a sponorsed angler can afford to fish like that

Not sure bout that M'lud??

As far as I know, no one in the angling business is sponsored by a maggot/ caster supplier?

And hemp is bloomin cheap?

That said it's not an approach for me; I'm far too tight!! ;)

This season I'm on an economy drive and thus far have taken 31 barbel to 11lb 2oz from the Teme in just over 20 hours using a total of half a pint of 4mm pellets and about a kilo of groundbait.... :)

Oh! Typing whilst you were...

Last edited:

Simon K

Reaction score
Not sure bout that M'lud??

As far as I know, no one in the angling business is sponsored by a maggot/ caster supplier?

Maybe not by a brand name sponsor, but plenty get free maggots/castors.
I was speaking to one "Name" last week who told me he gets his for free.

Lucky B..., I say. :)

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
It must be even cheaper if you turn your own Casters .... Especially if you know you'll be using a lot regularly.

mark barrett 2

Reaction score
Can someone please point me in the direction of casters for £2.50 a pint, cos maggots here are £3 a pint, casters £4

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Hi Lads,

Just returned home from another eventful few days on the river.

Apologies if the Diary sounds like an advertorial, its a diary so its what I do!

I pay for casters and get them for £22 a gallon from Newtown Angling in Mid Wales or from Alan's in Worcester, I consider the expense to be worth it in relation to the results, had a fourteen yesterday which more than justifies it for me.

Picking up on ****y's point I am aware of the point about adding detail but as the column is restricted in length my thought process was that I would answer any detailed queries on here, it seems logical.

As I say I've just got back home so I'll come back on here a bit later.

All the best.

Reaction score
Picking up on ****y's point I am aware of the point about adding detail but as the column is restricted in length my thought process was that I would answer any detailed queries on here, it seems logical.

All the best.

Just wondering if you set up a dedicated dropper rod and if so what rule of thumb do you use to gauge the frequency of drops, and how far upstream of the baited rod you place the dropper...

Presumably depth of swim and flow are crucial and then there's other factors like hemp (denser) will sink faster than casters??

OK that's probably another article's worth!

PS: If you flirt with George in Alan's and tell him he's beautiful, you can get a gallon of casters for £21 !! :D

Shameless! LOL! :)

Last edited:

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Hi ****y,

Next time in Alan's I'll try that, shall I mention you said so?!!

Always have a dedicated dropper rod no matter what river as I always use hemp, have lots of different size droppers but find the Thameseley, similar sized metal ones from Alans or the Fred Crouch model work best when maggot or caster fishing.

I tend to fish really close in as well.

As you say the depth/flow ratio is crucial and I hardly ever see it mentioned in articles. For example one of my favoured swims is eight feet deep tight to the bank with the flow coming straight through on my fishing line, I will bait drop anywhere from twenty feet above the hookbait down to three feet above, depending on how the fish are responding.

The barbel would be anything from two to twenty feet below the bait and so from the start I try to bring them up, if that does not work I drop further down, only experience and how the day is going determine the right tactic.

On the Kennet I like to be precise, on the Severn I like to lay a big carpet.

I adapt the caster, hemp, caster/hemp loads in the dropper to suit the day and to ensure I don't run out when the barbel are really on.

What I have found is that once the barbel are reasonably confident the introduction of half a dozen droppers will initiate an instant take, it happens on many occasions.

The past two days produced nine barbel with a ten and a fourteen, I do like the method!
Also have a good tale to tell about Chris Tarrant who turned up on Monday but I'll save that for the next Diary piece.

The barbel are beginning to show on the Lower so I'll be giving that a go in a few weeks time.

All the best.

B

Berty

Just wondering if you set up a dedicated dropper rod and if so what rule of thumb do you use to gauge the frequency of drops, and how far upstream of the baited rod you place the dropper...

Presumably depth of swim and flow are crucial and then there's other factors like hemp (denser) will sink faster than casters??

OK that's probably another article's worth!

PS: If you flirt with George in Alan's and tell him he's beautiful, you can get a gallon of casters for £21 !! :D

Shameless! LOL! :)

That is pathetic ****ie........

I just get rid of the lads and slap my meat on the counter..........the lady loves it........and yes tell her i said so.........Paul from the Blackcountry :)

Reaction score
That is pathetic ****ie........

I just get rid of the lads and slap my meat on the counter..........the lady loves it........and yes tell her i said so.........Paul from the Blackcountry :)

Absolutely shameless Paul! :eek:

That's my surrogate mum you're talking about!! :)

Mind you El does love a bit of banter!! ...however short!!;):D