Freshwater Fish Face Extinction

dannytaylor

Reaction score
and this is why eels deserve respect. It will be a sad day if this species disapears, its time all commercial eel fishing was banned and more research carried out.

Why are powan and whitefish not on the list?

Are species such as stoneloach, allis and twaited shad not in decline?

rains

Reaction score
Doesn't help when the poles are eating are fish aswell but i do agree dams polution ect play a massive part

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Pollution and Poles have naff all to do with eel extinction; they survived 300 years of fyke netting on a huge scale and tons taken as elvers, not to mention a century of appalling river pollution in the Industrial Revolution.

Something much more fundamental is going on, and my guess is that it's something to do with the migration to and from the Sargasso. Ocean currents have changed drastically with global warming, so that might be the cause. Either that or some ecological imbalance due to overfishing - which, incidentally, is the reason Canada is loused out with the lobsters you see, frozen, in Tesco, and why we are having a jellyfish invasion.

I never though that in my lifetime or my kids' there would ever be a shortage of eels. It's a disaster - a barometer that should be warning us there's a big, nasty storm coming....

abborre

Reaction score
i am afraid the eel population will gradually die out problem being not enough adult eels getting back to the sargasso sea when you think about it its a wonder that they are not already extinct......just think of the amount of jellied eels that are consumed in the uk in one week then the smoked eels in the rest of europe..multiply that by the rest of the world and you have your answer....i myself love eels and i used to fish at night for them...never giving their plight a second thought....and of course not every live eel spawns there are thousands in lakes all over the world who never return to the sargasso landlocked and there they stay===i know some travel overland in wet conditions to reach water courses that take them back to the sea but they are in a minority.....i dont think the eel will ever become a protected species because of the worlds love of the food content