River Churn – EA Fish Rescue Saves Thousands of Fish

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Not so much a good deed as clearing up the mess they've made. The EA issues licences for water abstraction in the Churn catchment, bott for potable supply and for irrigation.

The churn is fed from a limestone aquifer and the EA had already identified the degradation of the Churn: 'Groundwater abstractions result in significant loss to the catchment. Runoff reduced by industrial/agricultural abstraction - flows generally lower than Cirencester GS due to gravel working. Evaporation from gravel pits may also be a factor in recent years.' says a recent report.

I'm glad that the EA's bit of recent PR about how our rivers have improved is being rubbished by angling groups among others; the reduction in pollution has been almost entirely due to the UK's loss of heavy industry and statute (much of it drafted in the EU) which has addressed chemical pollutants.

Over-abstraction, particularly of groundwater, is a massive problem which the EA is doing very little to address, and is resulting in appalling habitat degradation.

cg74

Reaction score
Sadly Mark, you are wholly right in what you say..... But going on the EA's current ethos; never let the facts get in the way of a feel good story.

I guess we should be grateful that they saved the fish....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I guess we should be grateful that they saved the fish....
Isn't this the double-edged sword of teh EA though?

One side (a couple of departments maybe) like fisheries and pollutions work for us, but there are other departments like abstractions, the management of sewage outfall, and those now planning all the Hydro Power plants for the weirs (thus threatening to destroy the ecology of the weirs) work decidedly against us - and furthermore don't give a ****!

Working for EA fisheries must be really disheartening at times.