Badger-ed

Bluenose

Reaction score
"......... just a healthy ‘click, click’ of plastic on plastic. "

Brilliant piece Kevin!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
To think that my first ever fixed spool reel, bought in 1968, cost £1 as well and wasn't much better, same wire bale arm, gears made from zinc?, no line though, lasted nearly 2 years of abuse before the line cut through the wire.

Allcocks/J W Young and others did loads of badge engineering in the 40s and 50s on reels, and a LERC fibreglass blank went under many names in the 70s.

BL badging brings back memories of my first car; an Austin 7 Mini Countryman!

Morespiders

Reaction score
£59-00!!!!!! Welcome back Kev my lad, I could give you 3weeks membership of PaSC for one of those:D

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
£59-00!!!!!! Welcome back Kev my lad, I could give you 3weeks membership of PaSC for one of those:D

£59.99 actually, don't forget the all important 99p!

Memories of my Riley Kestrel came flooding back, twin carb, wooden fascia and all but clapped out!

A welcome return from Kevin, thanks.

:D

Morespiders

Reaction score
£59.99 actually, don't forget the all important 99p!

Memories of my Riley Kestrel came flooding back, twin carb, wooden fascia and all but clapped out!

A welcome return from Kevin, thanks.

:D
Dont pay full price Neil, I have one of Perkins's Gold cards, only £70-99p a year:D

dezza

Reaction score
People don't realise how important this addition to the reel market is.

It is going to find favour with all the fixed spool reel purists who want simplicity and no refinements on their reels. A wire pickup with no roller is a fantastic feature. Just think of all the twists it's going to make, and then there will be that lovely groove in the metal that will stuff up your lines good and proper. Let's face it the engineering improvements that have taken place over the past 30 years on fixed spool reels are the handiwork of the devil!

And I hope the reel brings in line the wrong way around such that the line cannot be feathered nicely either for checking the line when trotting or brakeing the line at the end of a cast.

It will be marvellous to have to learn the skills necessary to overcome these design features, rather than have them improved. Let's face it, many of the anglers of today never did a fixed spool apprenticeship like we did. This reel will force them to go through the agonies of FS reel usage, just like we did.

I say Hurray for Tickle Tackle, and I do hope the reel makes a gritty groaning noise when it is wound in!

Reaction score
Fancy jumping on the Redline bandwagon! Matt Heist's legal department must be twitching!! :p

Such shameless profiteering from TT...

Guarranteed to persuade any thinking angler to remain as a loyal customer for years to come...

I guess the main advantage of the Redline reel is if it falls off your Tickle-Tackle Ruffe-master rod into even the shallowest of swims (the sophisticated design ensures this important function is a certainty); you won't be able to locate it again due to red light disappearing first under water...

£59.99 seems wrong... would you take £300 for the three? :)

Last edited:

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
I loved Ron's reference to that '...gritty, moaning noise as you reel in' - SO familiar! But seriously, Mr. Perkins: can you customize these reels? I'd like 3, but with green flyers and extra strong bale-arm springs to make absolutely certain of a broken knuckle from time to time. Also, can you assure me the spools, too, are subject to 'less' being 'more'? I had so many wonderful times with my old reels, patiently untangling my line from around that greasy spindle; it'd be great to re-visit those moments - ideally when huge scarlet sails are slicing through the surface of a nicely fined-down Wessex river. Best of luck with your much-needed venture!