Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Big Fish Angling - Chasing the Monsters

This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Big Fish Angling - Chasing the Monsters

Default Re: Big Fish Angling - Chasing the Monsters

Super article from a well respected specimen hunter! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on 'big fish angling. Liked your comments on doing things differently, it is often the little changes that add those special fish on the bank. I wish I can look back on my angling career with the same pride that I know Bob must. Amazing captures - by design!

Nice one Bob, a most enjoyable read.
    Jerry
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Edges.

Time, single-mindedness, creative thinking, cross-species method adaptation and application.
    The will to succeed.

Although there are some excellent single-species anglers out there, I also think many more could emulate their success by fishing more regularly outside the single species. So many techniques and "edges" have come from successful targetting of species other than the chosen quarry, I believe many anglers miss out on enhancing their angling experience and catching success.

Perhaps more anglers need to think about what they didn't do right (when they blank or lose fish) rather than what they did when they caught. Most of us blank more often than we catch, I'd say?

Great piece Bob, if I could show half that success in 15 years time, I'll be happy.

Good read Bob, some nice fish there mate
    Perch and tench record holder, and ACA member for twenty years, and Treasurer of P.A.S.C.

Blog Entries

Excellent read, I enjoyed that.

Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The Prince Bishops

A really enjoyable read, Bob.

Chub immediately spring to mind and when I think back to all of the hours I have sat watching a Starlight grow dimmer on a cold winter’s night, holding a very soft quiver tip rod, hour after hour and then, when that bite has finally come, I've been too frozen to strike! Madness I know, but the true specimen hunter will fully understand!

... and then you find that your still unable to move because of all the $loody Velcro

Thanks Bob, a cracking read.

9. Default Re: Big Fish Angling - Chasing the Monsters

Good stuff Bob,
    I enjoyed the article very much - the size of some of the fish was very impressive, but the thing which REALLY caught my eye was your almost passing comment about catching a Bream/Chub hybrid...
    I have yet to see a photograph of such a beast and wonder if by any chance you took a snap? Chub are known to hybridise with Roach, Rudd and more commonly Bleak in the wild, but although it would seem possible, I have only ever heard rumours of a bream/Chub hybrid. I am very intrigued as to what iot would actually look like. Being in the Chub Study Group, I would be very keen to see evidence of one and I know for a fact that Mark Wintle and Andy Nellist would give their high teeth to see such a photograph too, so if anyone has one, can they post it for us to see? Such fish have, I believe, been produced under laboratory conditions, but catching a naturally-occurring one would seem to be like a quest for the golden fleece. You will certainly never catch a rarer fish than that one Bob!

Trev

Blog Entries

Excellent Article Bob.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast