Trotting for Big Chub - Eddy Widdup has a nightmare on the Dorset Stour

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Excellent again Eddie. Two or three separate alarms usually work for me!

Well written and a man after my own heart. The Throop chub are very addictive.

That first couple of seconds as you strike, not sure if its a fish, snag or weed, just hold the pressure a bit and then........ a couple of nods/thumps - absolutely enthralling!

Although I can rarely get down there over Christmas, I've managed to have three sessions before and after. The latest was last Monday; very mild and overcast, the river was fining down but still with a powerful winter flow and held a fair bit of colour.

One total blank (except for minnows!) but the other two trips were superb late morning/afternoon visits and included five 6's. The other pleasing thing has been quite a number of smaller chub, 2lb/3lb, looking absolutely pristine. A good sign for the future.

I've occasionally thought about the School Bridge area, even parking there twice, but I'm a bit too conservative and tend to head for my personal (and many others!) banker swims at the top or bottom end of Beat Two.

I love trotting for those chub in the powerful flow but prefer a centrepin probably just for the hell of it but it makes sure I'm very patient when playing the fish. You're dead right about line diameter and hook size, it took me a while to believe it a few years ago but now I'm very happy to fish an 18/20/22 to as fine a diameter hooklength I can get away with.

Continual loose feeding is a key, if they're there, they usually can't resist! And yet so many visitors just sit there with a feeder/lead set up and moan they can't catch! I fed four pints on Monday, took about an hour for them to wake up. Ran out of bait at 3:45pm, chub went back from whence they came!

I will definitely have a few more trips before the season ends and maybe, just maybe, might have a look at the middle of Beat Two!

IMG_7816470x484.jpg

IMG_7810409x389.jpg

chav professor

Reaction score
Nice one Eddie, it reminds me I have some ghosts that need putting to rest on the Stour! I concur with your experience of playing big chub on light line. They look very surprised and gently knock there heads from side to side as if to remove the cause of discomfort. Played gently and not spooking them with too much pressure - they stay confused long enough to scoop a net under them........

eddyfish

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys. It wasn't the best day fishing wise but one that will stay with me.

Chav, if you ever want a guided tour about Throop send me a message. I'd be more then happy to put you on to some lunkers. I have a little method in the Summer which makes catching them look easy... No honestly.

Neil, middle bit of B2 holds some of the biggest fish and, to be fair, there are chub in most half decent swims. A lot less people too and more wildlife. Its rather nice down there and you get a change of vista from just staring at opposite side of the mud swim. That said 5 sixes sounds quite tempting!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Neil, middle bit of B2 holds some of the biggest fish and, to be fair, there are chub in most half decent swims. A lot less people too and more wildlife. Its rather nice down there and you get a change of vista from just staring at opposite side of the mud swim. That said 5 sixes sounds quite tempting!

Monday was the first time in the mud swim for me! :) Tend to fish opposite and slightly upstream. Then there's the gate, both weirs and down below Wendy's.

I'll definitely look at the middle, possibly this weekend (if I can get there early enough!) but this mornings first really heavy frost has slightly dampened my enthusiasm. :confused:

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Three consecutive nights of very heavy frosts. Incredibly bright clear sunny days. Will the chub be feeding tomorrow?

I'll let you know!

:cool:

Very cold and very windy but the chub fed quite well. I fished the swim highlighted by Eddie and ended up with 4 nice chub around 4lbish and a nice one of 5:04. Very enjoyable!

IMG_7818547x420.jpg

Last edited: