Trade News - Matt Hayes joins Fladen

paul80

Reaction score
What happened to him running his own company TF-Gear or was that a big marketing con.

Paul

sam vimes

Reaction score
That's a turn up for the books.:eek:
I dare say they'll shift a few more units though. I'm intruiged as to what this means for TFGear though.

paul80

Reaction score
Some their rods are now going for some quite attractive prices, prices that might attract more to the hobby and that is not a bad thing. I have a couple, well 4 actually and I cannot fault one of them, especially at the discounted prices. The banshee range of rods are quite usable and at under £30 each do represent good value for someone starting or trying to live on a wage well below the national average.

To say they are rubbish is just wrong.

I have a FOX rod pod that is rubbish, but ii would never say all their products are rubbish.

Paul

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've never even seen Fladen gear outside of a Boyes store. I've viewed it as a modern equivalent of the Winfield stuff that used to be on the shelves in Wollworths. I can only presume that this will change if they intend to make a serious impression on the UK market.

Does anyone seriously buy fishing gear based on the names associated with a brand?:confused:

dezza

Reaction score
Yeah but are you buying it because you know Drennan make good tackle or are you buying it because you like/admire Peter Drennan?

Both!

I've known old Pete since he was a youngster in the Oxford Specimen Group. He is a good all round angler and would never market anything that was rubbish.

dangermouse

Reaction score
Both!

I've known old Pete since he was a youngster in the Oxford Specimen Group. He is a good all round angler and would never market anything that was rubbish.

lol fair enough.

I`ll put it another way then. Let`s say you decided to buy a Drennan rod and it happened to have Martin Bowler`s name on it. Are you buying it because it`s a Drennan or because it has Martin`s name on it?

B

Berty

Both!

It seems that some would market anything to see their names upon it........is there a are medical term for such an afflication?

dezza

Reaction score
I`ll put it another way then. Let`s say you decided to buy a Drennan rod and it happened to have Martin Bowler`s name on it. Are you buying it because it`s a Drennan or because it has Martin`s name on it?

Actually there is nowt wrong with Martin Bowler. He really can catch fish and I'm sure if a Drennan rod had Martin's name on it, it would be a good one.

I don't possess a rod with Mr. Bowler's name on it yet. And at the moment I am very well supplied with both Drennan, Harrison and Preston rods.

dangermouse

Reaction score
Actually there is nowt wrong with Martin Bowler. He really can catch fish and I'm sure if a Drennan rod had Martin's name on it, it would be a good one.

I don't possess a rod with Mr. Bowler's name on it yet. And at the moment I am very well supplied with both Drennan, Harrison and Preston rods.

I wouldn`t dream of criticising Martin`s fishing pedigree, he clearly knows a great deal about angling. The point though is that you would be buying the rod based on the fact that Drennan make good tackle and not just because it has a known angler`s name on it. If Martin was to stick his name on an Avanti rod I doubt you`d have the same faith in the product.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've never bought anything yet with the name "Drennan" on it that has been rubbish!

That's not what I meant at all. Does/did anyone really buy Shimano/TFG/Fladen because Matt Hayes is/was associated with those brands?

If they ever did buy Shimano because of the association with Alan Scotthorne or Steve Ringer, and will they now move over to Drennan and Daiwa respectively?

I can cope with brand loyalty but following a particular brand based on celebrity endorsement I find very strange. In this particular instance I consider Drennan as a brand and not a simple endorsement by Peter Drennan.