Barbel Fishing – Attacking the Swim

cg74

Reaction score
Keepnet, 6lb mainline, pre-stretched lo-diameter hook length and hi-oil pellets..... 'Full house'

I've got some rope, lets hang 'im!!!

*Didn't notice an unhooking mat either, come on lads, lets string 'im up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Whatever you think about keepnets and barbel there is absolutely no need to ram them all into a landing net for a 'trophy' shot... that's just asking for dorsal damage... FFS :eek:mg:

Last edited:

Jack Sales

Reaction score
Oh dear mate, looks like you will not be fishing the Wye and Usk waters any more. Did you not read your rules? looks like you didnt bother. Well here they are for you.
•1 rod only per angler
•No worm, prawn or shrimp baits
•Any salmon, trout or shad caught while coarse fishing must be returned unharmed to the water immediately
•Catch & Release for all species
•No keepnets
•No spinners or lures under 6” (15cm)
•No camping or night fishing
•Anglers must take all litter and equipment with them after fishing. Please appreciate that the Foundation has opened up many new fisheries that were once salmon fishing only. Failure to remove rubbish & discarded tackle will result in owners withdrawing their water from the day ticket scheme.

No keepnets. Also you are fishing a fixed rig, without a clip which is in essence a death rig. Stay at your local ponds, and leave the lovely wye alone!

dave roberts

Reaction score
Hi All

Thought I should come on and say a few words as it's disappointing to hear negative comments when you've bothered to get off your arse and do something that some people may actually enjoy and find useful.

Firstly let me state that this article was written from a match anglers perspective as that is what I do. That said I am an angler first and spend many hours just fishing the river that I have had a love affair with since the age of 4. Now that the River coarse season has closed I spend the spring/summer wandering along with a spinning rod hoping for a Spring run salmon but generally enjoying exploring the varied water and surroundings to be found along the Wye valley. I am a consultant for Bait-Tech and Tri-Cast as well as a qualified angling coach who teaches on a variety of running and stillwater coarse angling disciplines.

Anyone who lives in or around Hereford will know the time I devote to this river and how much I care when it comes to the modern day threats to our fish stocks. I am pleased to say that I am not a threat to these fish and I feel the negative comments on this thread are born from a 'them and us' attitude with regards to Match anglers. I'm also not foolish enough to think this attitude isn't reciprocated by match anglers towards specimen anglers. They are attitudes that help no one and cause unnessesary division in an age where anglers should be singing together to protect what we have.

To address a few points.....

The use of a keepnet is not a crime. I use a 4 metre keepnet on the river and no fish has ever been harmed by me keeping fish in one.

As for an unhooking mat I don't understand this point. When I land a barbel I lift the net to sit between my legs. I pop the hook out then lower the fish in the landing net into the keepnet. The fish is out of the water a lot less time that it would take to transfer it to an unhooking mat, kneel down, unhook it, weigh it, photograph it then return it to the water. At a time when the fish has just scrapped it's heart out it's back in the water to recover in double quick time.

As for so 'Trophy shots' I'm affraid the business we're in requires proof. In an article instructing how to build a match winning catch of barbel and chub a picture of one barbel wouldn't really cut it, just like an article on specimen barbel would require something more substantial than picture of a 3lb fish. The Actual catch shot on this day doesn't contain all of the fish I caught for the safety of the fish. They are rested on top of a keepnet which in turn is on top of grass. The landing net is there to stop the fish bouncing off and possibly damaging themselves. The whole proces of obtaining a catch shot is very short when you're working with skilled photographers.

As for 6lb line and pre-stretched, low diameter, hooklengths I don't get that? It's all about balance. Using the right gear to get the job done without going over the top. Anyone with an ounce of angling ability will tell you the same. The article was shot on a big river. I use a mainline up to the job but not too thick as to create a lot of resistance in the flow meaning the use of more lead than is required. If I were fishing for one bite and a possible double figure barbel then sure the tackle would change but it would still be balanced.

Unfortunately many people read a lot of garbage that is written about the Wye and then come armed with the latest vogue Rods, Reels, Rigs and baits thinking every fish is going to be a double when in reality there are very few double figure fish in the Wye but there are lots of shoal fish up to 9lb.

The river is over run with tourists, eastern europeans, Cormorants, Goozanders, mink and otters. The Wye was always a salmon river and whilst the barbel were spreading through the system many stretches were untouched by coarse anglers. Now the salmon fishing has declined these stretches are being opened up and the wild uneducated fish are easy targets. So many 'would be' celebrity anglers are jumping on the bandwagon but when the river declines, and we're left with another Great Ouse they will have moved on leaving people like me to mourn what once was. This probably has no interest to this thread but at least I'm using a forum in a constructive way by raising awareness to probable future problems.

If anyone wants to discuss the article or The river wye in general with me feel free to send me a PM

I hope someone finds it interesting because a writing articles is something I enjoy a lot but it is a lot of hard work getting it right.

Best Regards

Dave Roberts

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:28 ----------

Oh dear mate, looks like you will not be fishing the Wye and Usk waters any more. Did you not read your rules? looks like you didnt bother. Well here they are for you.
•1 rod only per angler
•No worm, prawn or shrimp baits
•Any salmon, trout or shad caught while coarse fishing must be returned unharmed to the water immediately
•Catch & Release for all species
•No keepnets
•No spinners or lures under 6” (15cm)
•No camping or night fishing
•Anglers must take all litter and equipment with them after fishing. Please appreciate that the Foundation has opened up many new fisheries that were once salmon fishing only. Failure to remove rubbish & discarded tackle will result in owners withdrawing their water from the day ticket scheme.

No keepnets. Also you are fishing a fixed rig, without a clip which is in essence a death rig. Stay at your local ponds, and leave the lovely wye alone!

HA HA how foolish are you to assume that I was on Wye Usk Water!

That's kind of what I mean. You thought you were dead clever lifting a list of rules off the wye usk website and posting them. Why didn't you think before making such a foolish comment?

The fact you call it a death rig shows how little understanding you have of balancing your gear.

You're welcome to book me for a coaching session.

Last edited:
Reaction score
As for so 'Trophy shots' I'm afraid the business we're in requires proof. In an article instructing how to build a match winning catch of barbel and chub a picture of one barbel wouldn't really cut it

Yes it would!

'The business we're in' requires a degree of thought about both presentation (eg. the mentor/ teacher aspect) and the welfare of living fish... I have written articles for the press and have never neglected my obligations to fish welfare or felt the need to bow placidly to trends in angling photography...

The crammed landing net shot is an awful choice for a shoot...

Otherwise a very comprehensive reply mate, cheers :)

Last edited:

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
A reasoned and logical reply.

But nowhere in the article does it mention "match angling/angler". It's all about attacking the swim and making the most of a "session". I'm afraid I don't know you Dave, so didn't know your background. Perhaps a few words of introduction might have helped to set the scene and your thought processes.

I actually enjoyed the article but immediately "frowned" at some of the images and thought (with my moderators hat on), "here we go, wont take long".

Totally agree with your comments on balanced gear, but there again I'm an ancient match angler from a different era!

Jack Sales

Reaction score
You may enjoy writing articles, and get a load of free bait from bait tech, but when you show bad practice it is out of order.
Keepnets are bad for barbel. Period. No justification for them at all. On a commercial where the owner does not mind his stock being descaled, stressed and disfigured then fine. But on rivers, they should not be used. Look at the damage done to Severn fish in heavily match fished stretches. Do we want this on the Wye? Thats why they ban them on Wye and Usk waters, of which Holme Lacey is one. Did you fish this stretch, and get permission?
Secondly, your loop rig is a death rig. You use light lines for some unknown reason on the wye, and because of this you will get roughed up. FACT.
The fish then has to tow around that lump of lead. If its tethered, then it dies.
Running rigs are effective and safe.
I use 12lb big game, and a foot and half of rig tubing above my running rig. I learnt the hard way, that rocks and mono do not mix.
With running rigs you may have to strike to hook the fish, but has it come this that are we are now so lazy and narrow minded that we put fish in the net above fish safety? But i forgot it's a match and you must win, at all costs.
I love the Wye, and seeing this has made my blood boil. Please if you have to fish match style, stay on the commercials, bagging F1s, and leave the Wye alone.

Jack Sales

Reaction score
Fishing for barbel with balanced gear on rivers like the Wye, Severn Thames and Trent will cost you fish. Barbel are not hard to hook. Its all about getting your feed right. However you must have the right gear. On a low clear pressured river, well do they exist now after ottergedon?, yes fining down helps, but on big heavilly stocked wild rivers, it is bad angling.
If you need some instruction have a look at Bob Roberts blog and DVD's.

---------- Post added at 00:21 ---------- Previous post was at 00:03 ----------

Thanks for the offer of coaching, though i will give it a miss.
You also say everyone is jumping on the bandwagon regarding barbel fishing on the Wye. Are you just a bit jealous that you were so late to have your say, and had to hash an article together which shows nothing new, just old bad practices. Have you ever caught one on a fly? no, well nor have i, but wouldnt that be something new rather than the tired old "Feeders catch wye barbel" headline.
Just a note to Bait Tech, if you are watching, this is not a great advert for your company. Most serious barbel fisherman shun the keepnet, and to be associated with such bad practices does not paint your company in the best light.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is it the close season again?:confused:;)

No, merely Version 136.8 of the New and Utterly Pathetic 100 Years Barbel War.

There are times, you know, when I wish that there could be a Barbel Plague (a la perch and native crayfish), what a Dolby System for so much unwanted noise!

dave roberts

Reaction score
Ok Guys just briefly because I can't really get involved in an argument as it is not me who sends the articles to Fishing Magic

****y AT PAC..... I'll agree to disagree and respect your opinion (and definately your commitment) but assure you that I'm not a neglector of fish nor do I chose which images get used in articles.

Neil Maidment.....Apologies Neil. I was unaware the article was on here until someone pointed it out to me. Such is the nature of the internet that if I had been familiar to you all, I would probably not have recieved so much flack.

Jack Sales..... You're aggressive and you're wrong. You straight away made an assumption I was fishing a stretch of water forgetting that a river has 2 banks. You quote 'Most serious Barbel fisherman' Who would be so narrow minded as to fish for one species? Again you miss my point about people jumping on the band wagon. Everyone is writing about how amazing the wye is but no one is addressing the serious issues that endanger it. I believe the jealousy is hidden in you aggressive writing.
You sound like quite an angler but to critisize my gear without seeing it or my results is ignorant. In 2002 I won the Wye Championships with barbel on a river carrying 11 feet of floodwater. You don't do that without balanced gear, skill and watercraft.

Twice you have made reference that I go elsewhere and fish other venues. I can do that as I am an all round angler who has success on a variety of venues but for you to suggest it in this manner is down right rude and I hope other people see that.

It would have been easy to let the Which hunt (I think the words Rope and Hang were used!) to go on and not take the time to reply but despite preconceived ideas of me, I am someone who loves this sport (oops sorry did I call it sport!) and hates seeing division and snobbery. I share a passion for angling no matter what the species or discipline. As i write the River Wye runs 100 yards from my door. I've devoted a lifetime to it and make no apology for speaking with authority about it.

I wish you all tight lines.

Dave Roberts

Last edited:
Reaction score
That's a bit extreme. No one deserves this torture.
Flying Pickets - Only You - YouTube

Lol Sam!:)

Close season blues...

It's all gonna go a bit Showaddywaddy and peeps'll soon forget the 'Wye Landing Net Incident' when the tenchin kicks off!!

In the meantime... enjoy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xci0-26M-bk[/youtube]

Just copy and paste... I can't get the code to work...

[/COLOR]
Ok Guys just briefly because I can't really get involved in an argument as it is not me who sends the articles to Fishing Magic

****y AT PAC..... I'll agree to disagree and respect your opinion (and definately your commitment) but assure you that I'm not a neglector of fish nor do I chose which images get used in articles.

Fair play Dave... the full net shot is always going to be contraversial :)

Last edited:

the wise one

Reaction score
Poor choice of article to go on FM imo.

Might have got away with it on the match section as fish welfare isn't uppermost in their minds, or match fishing world .com

Can I direct the writer towards the Barbel Society's Handling Code>

1. Always use well-balanced tackle, aiming to land your barbel as quickly as possible, but without undue pressure or bullying. Playing fish to exhaustion on light tackle causes unnecessary stress. A minimum of a through action rod of 1 ¼ lb test curve and eight pound line should be used, with much heavier tackle advisable in snaggy swims or flood conditions.

Think about where you will be landing your fish before fishing, so that a played out fish can be landed safely and left to recover in the net for a few minutes before being unhooked.

2. A more powerful rod will require stronger line to maintain balance; a rough guide is to multiply test curve by six to calculate matching line strength. Line does not last forever, so check regularly and replace it if in doubt. Ultra thin braids can cause damage to fish, so should be used with care.

3. When fishing for barbel, use a large, deep, fine knotless meshed landing net and always allow the barbel a few minutes to recover in sufficient depth before removing the fish from the water. Transfer the fish in the net from the water and place the fish on a wet unhooking mat whilst you remove the hook. After the hook has been removed return the fish back to the water and allow it a few more minutes of recovery time before release. Never attempt to beach a fish, or allow it to rest on stones, gravel or hard ground. Use wet hands to handle fish.

4. Barbless hooks or those with barbs squeezed flat are easier to remove than barbed ones. Remove the hook with forceps. If the hook is difficult to remove then cut the line and thread out the hook, point first, if necessary. Check the mouth for any other hooks and remove any that are present.

5. Mouth sores and any wounds found on the body may be treated with solutions such as Kryston Klinic, available from good tackle shops or antiseptic creams such as adcortyl-in-orabase, which is available from chemists. Dry wounds first before applying treatments.

6. Release the barbel as soon as it has fully recovered, retaining it in the meshes of the landing net until it is upright, and breathing and swimming strongly. Take extra care in hot weather when water temperatures are higher and the dissolved oxygen content is lower. In extreme warm and low water conditions, consider ceasing fishing for barbel altogether until conditions improve.

7. If weighing and photography are desired, leave the fish in the water in the landing net meshes with plenty of room to breathe, while you prepare your equipment. Decide where the weighing and photography should take place, preferably close by and on a flat area away from bright sunlight.

Wet the weigh sling, which should be large enough to contain the fish easily, and zero the scales whilst weighing the wet sling.

Prepare your camera equipment and then transfer the fish to your chosen area. Gently lower the barbel onto your wet unhooking mat, ensuring all fins are folded backwards to prevent damage. Carefully remove the fish from the net into the wet weigh sling.

The fish should be held close to the ground for photography; never stand with a fish.

8. Return the fish to the net and carry it in the net to the water. Position it facing up-river and then allow a long period of recovery. The fish should be allowed to breathe freely, with a good flow of water around the mouth and gills. Encourage the fish to position itself upright and maintain balance. The fish must not be released until you are certain that it has sufficient strength to swim strongly in the current.

9. Exceptional fish may need to be retained in barbel tubes or tunnels for witnessing but this should be for the shortest possible time period and only place one fish in each tunnel or tube. Carp sacks and keepnets are not advised for the retention of barbel.

10. The Barbel Society recognises that barbel are retained in keepnets during matches. However, we appeal to match anglers to use the largest barbel friendly nets they can and to position them where the fish can obtain maximum through flow of water and minimum overcrowding. Staking the closed end of the keepnet up-river will greatly help in this matter. We also ask that a weigh and release policy is considered where large fish in particular can be weighed individually and released soon after capture