River Severn Barbel - Crouching Barbel, Hidden Chub.

john step

Reaction score
I think I made a similar comment as this to an article about your Severn trip last year... Forget the Severn and try the Lower and tidal Trent. Lots of fish, miles of space, never seen a game keeper feeding ducks, and the canoeists are rare. The big barges do take you by surprise the first time but the barbel don't mind them. I think you might need to up your tackle and weights though.

Skoda

Reaction score
Just back from a week's holiday, thanks for your comment John; you're right to suggest giving the Severn a miss next year but the thought of the Lower Tidal Trent fills me with dread, I'm just not up to it. I once saw someone fishing the River Danube from a bridge in Budapest; he had a boat rod, a 6oz gripper lead and a large bunch of white maggots. He winched in a 4lb barbel (about fifty feet!) and knocked it on the head, then put it in a supermarket plastic bag with four or five others to take home for supper!
I think it's the sweet litle river Swale next time, cheers.
Andy

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Enjoyed that article Andy. Had me Laughing out loud especially the bit about Northern Monkeys.

Graham

Skoda

Reaction score
I might take you up on that Sean. I was looking at the Trent for something ‘Swale’ sized; it seems that around Burton-on-Trent there are many small sections run by different clubs so difficult to get a handle on where to go. Perhaps the bit around Newark you wrote about near the A1 pits might be worth a look.
Glad you enjoyed it Graham, we did despite the distractions.
Cheers
Andy

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Apart from the regional stereotyping I found it quite amusing, though how three of you struggled so much on that stretch is slightly bewildering.
Stan Lewis though getting on a bit now used to be a bit of a match legend in the 70's, and if you think the shop is an experience you should try renting his flat.

john step

Reaction score
Andy, Get your GOOGLE out and find Collingham on the tidal Trent. There is a large weir there. Go to the right (East bank) and follow it along downstream ( Northwards) This is £5 a day from the bailif. Further down there are many sections available from Scunthorpe and District club about £18 PER YEAR !! and also Scunthorpe Pisces (good web site on this one) about £35 per year.
As a home counties refugee I found the Tidal quite a daunting eye opener when I wised up and moved up here and away from the crowds 10 years ago.
Oh the embarrisment! I was used to catching barbel on the upper stretches of the Lea in Hertfordshire. On my first Trent outing I tackled up with my quiver tip rod and my usual 8lb line. I was bemused on my first cast to find my "heavy" ounce and a half lead swept downstream as though it was a feather.
If you have a carp rod, that would be ok as a starter with 12lb line and start at 4oz weights for lighter flowsl There have been many articles about the Tidal trent over the years which would be a good plce to start.
Oh.. and the natives up here are very friendly..best of luck.

Skoda

Reaction score
Thanks Titus, the reason, I think, we struggle is because we only fish rivers once a year and consequently rarely up to speed with the changing conditions. Local knowledge is very important so I’m really grateful to the Brummie for putting us on the right pegs, sorry about the stereotyping but I find the accent interesting to write. When we first met Stan Lewis he was very guarded about what he told us until we bought a ticket from him but recently he’s been amusing and helpful in every way, a true character (must hear the flat story one day).
Cheers John, I’ll take a look at the lower Tidal Trent although it sounds extremely challenging for a wuss like me. I could use my pike gear, 2.5lb Greys Prodigy, Shimano Baitrunner 6000, 12lb line? I’ve a mate in Louth who is always suggesting the Trent.
Andy

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Andy

Me and three mates make a similar bi-annual pilgrimmage... we normally do a lake trip in April and a river/ lake trip in September. Next year, we will definitely be going to river Wye in September, just wondered if you'd thought about that? The Wye and Usk Foundation (google it!) have a load of stretches on the middle and lower Wye where barbel get caught a lot, however it just doesn't get hammered in the same way as some club/ day ticket stretches and you've got every chance of not seeing another human being all day (except maybe the owner or keeper of the stretch you're on).

It's not cheap (average 15 or 20 quid a rod per day) and you can only use one rod. That said, it's a truly picturesque part of the world and that in itself can refresh the angler no end!

Plenty of pub accommodation around the Wye valley and forest of dean too, if your groups anything like mine then a few beers in the evening is another highlight to look forward to.

cheers
Jim

Skoda

Reaction score
Thanks Jim, we were just talking about the Wye the other day, it's a bit further maybe but it sounds good. We were also thinking about perhaps later in September rather than the first few days to avoid last minute holiday makers. I'll Google it.
Many thanks
Andy:)

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
i went in the middle of September this year, just after the school holidays ended. I understand canoe traffic can be a pain at the weekend but on the friday that i fished, I didn't see a single canoe until i was on the walk back to the car.

I think the great thing about the wye is that whilst the fish are probably not the biggest barbel in the country, they're very prolific (I had ten in an afternoon session ranging from 5 to 8 pounds), however as with all barbel rivers there are good and bad days... I returned to the same stretch a few weeks later and only had two bites (one fish landed at 6.8)

What sort of journey is involved for you? I'm in oxfordshire so the wye valley is about two hours away, not so bad if you're there for a couple of days but a little bit far for a day trip (specially for two bites!). Mind you, how many times do you see a salmon jump on your local river? Its not something we get treated to on the thames very often!!!!:)

Skoda

Reaction score
Just checked out the Wye & Usk Foundation website which looks incredibly helpful, many thanks Jim, I think this will get the lads excited. I intend to carry on writing these barbel trips up until I can entitle on 'Fistful of Barbel!'
Andy