Eels – Call for Commercial Fishing Ban

little oik

Reaction score
This has been the case for 3 yrs over here.(Ban on eel fishing reviewed | Irish Examiner )
Apart from a couple of licenses to allow commercial fishing for them so they can be returned down at the bottom of the Shannon. This is due to a kin great power station (Google Image Result for http://www.esb.ie/main/img/2.3.1_Ardnacrusha_800x600.jpg.
as the Eels cannot get by this to get back to the sea .
How the ban is working so far I do not think anyone can tell as yet .Just hope they do not raise the ban till they can definitely say that it is.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Oi, watch it Geezer! :)
I think its a disgrace that commercial eel fishing is encouraged whilst stocks have crashed to the point that anglers are not allowed to fish for them.(They still sell licences for Severn elver fishing I believe??)

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think there are still licenced eel trappers on the tidal Thames so the cockneys have nice fresh eels to stew and even better jelly:eek:

little oik

Reaction score
A hydro plant, no doubt? They should have put in an eel pass.

This was back in the day when " who gives a toss there are plenty more where they came from "(unless they were Salmon and Trout). Finally they are actually seeing sense now as its a downward spiral ,less fish around does sort of impact on tourism amongst other things .

Ps There are salmon Ladders in the most out of the places, even on a canal for gods sake (EU grants gone doo lally) but lets not go there ay :confused: