New River Season – Sean Meeghan

jimlad

Reaction score
Thanks for that Shaun. Interesting insight into your barbel fishing.

Similarly to yourself I'm trying the shallow reaches if the swale for the next month or two. Last week I sat it out but I'm going to don my polarised glasses and try to locate particular fish, weather permitting, this weekend.

Web fishing the shallow parts do you tend to search for depressions amongst it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:07 ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 ----------

I'd also be interested to know how you target individual fish once spotted. Do you trot a bait down to them? Bounce a piece if meat down to them? Or feed then to gain some confidence with your hook bait fixed in position?

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Thanks chaps! A 7lber won't be easy Peter but it's good to have targets!

If I'm sight fishing on the shallows Jim then I'm usually fishing close in and just dropping a bait into a group of feeding fish. There are certain swims that I know of which will appear devoid of fish until you put a bit of bait in and then they will just appear from nowhere.

Targetting individual fish can be very difficult if there are other fish in the swim, it's a matter of observing carefully to see if a bait can be presented to them without attracting other fish.

One thing I have learnt is that the less bait you use the betteras the longer a fish spends in a swim with your bait and end gear in it the more chance of it spooking.

The article in the link gives some of my thoughts and although I've developed the approach slightly since 2006 it's agood place to start from:

http://www.fishingmagic.com/fm-features/diaries/13045-barbel-from-yorkshire-rivers-part-1.html

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Another quality and thought provoking piece of writing Sean. Good photography as well!

7lber on the float from "up there" is a proper target, good luck. It took me long enough down here with our softie southern pets - still bloody brilliant when it happens tho! :)

jimlad

Reaction score
Thanks for that Sean. A very informative piece of writing, a certainly a fair amouy of food for thought.