My Friend, Simon King

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
A wonderful dedication to Simon from Bob and a lovely tribute from Ian.

I was one who was also lucky enough to fish with Simon. Invited onto his pits in seach of Zander and returning the compliment when he came and stayed in my cottage on the Wye where we compared tactics and both caught our share of Barbel and chub.

Over the past few weeks we had discussed a planned trip to the Kennet together, although in both our hearts we probably knew it would never be.

Simon was indeed a fine and skilled angler, the results speak for themselves in his articles and Bob's memories.

He was also an incredibly knowledgeable guy, and anyone who listened to his thoughts and words certainly could learn a lot. He had a way of getting you to believe the right way of how to do things.

I can almost hear him now telling Peter at the gates just how to do it!

The Fishing World, and the World will be a sadder place for our Loss.

Condolences to his family and to his fishing friends, especially his mate and long time fishing partner Bob.

I am going to miss him.

Graham

Last edited:
Reaction score
That must have been hard to write Bob with everything still so raw..

But it is a wonderful tribute to a man who was obviously a truly good friend.

RIP Simon.

Never met the guy but we shared some correspondance about Z fishing and he always came across as a very likeable and level-headed guy..

Sad news

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Bob, that is a finely crafted tribute from the heart to Simon and a poignant postscript from Ian.

Simon appears to have positively touched the lives of many a fine angler, some maybe only fleetingly, others with the kind of friendship that only those involved truly appreciate.

I never met Simon, only had a few exchanges on the forum but really appreciated (and was surprised) when he sent me a short note after I achieved a minor personal milestone in my chub fishing. Totally unexpected but I guess another little example of the type of guy he was.

RIP

peterw

Reaction score
Bob, you have done Simon proud with your tribute.

Remember meeting you and Simon for the first time in 2003 on the turning point at Fishers Green and the commitment you both made towards fishing. Went on to see Simon over the years and admired his interest and dedication. He was always difficult to find tucked in up and around the jungle of Holyfield. And more recently when you both achieved such success with the chub fishing. He will be sadly missed. Peter & Jo

thames steve

Reaction score
Lovely tribute Bob (and Ian). I didn't know him but sounds like a great bloke.

fishers

Reaction score
Bob great tribute , i met simon around 2005 at the green i whas sruggling with the aproach for fishing for them wize old barbel and chub i whas new to the venue and dident no were to start met simon and he put me on to back leadin and a few spots and i started catchin em he gae me sound advice about the carp in the channel and i caught a few aswell plenty ov new pbs a true gent and a very good angler very aproachable such a shame to be taken so young rip mate hooks marsh adam.