Angling Trust Announces New Chairman

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If we go back well over 4 years to when the Angling Trust was being discussed prior to its inauguration then Mike Helin was very often on here answering questions and clarifying statements.

It is no secret that during those times I was totally against setting up a single body, (well more in the way that the setting up process had been accomplished) and I argued the toss with MH several times.
He always replied with good grace and often in trying circumstances.

That my stance on the Angling Trust changed totally was down to a very good angling friend who pointed out something that to me, at the time, was sadly lacking in my argument.

So, I welcome the new Chairman and hope he will be as successful as Mike has been in the past, and in doing so I wish MH all the best in his retirement.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Yes second Peters comment.

I wish MH all the best in his retirement.

Mike Heylin came down and had a day fishing with me on the St Pats some years ago. A very articulate, nice and sensible chap.

Graham

david harvey1

Reaction score
Wanted to add my congratulations to George and right Peter, a big pair of shoes to fill.

I doubt retirement for Mike though being sec of CVAC, Fish welfare group, central to the ATr Thames regional forum and much more, good luck to him for the future.

Michael Heylin

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words guys. In recent years I have not had the time to spend as much of it as I would want reading the posts on the forums and responding.

George will be an awesome chairman and has all the abilities to take the Trust forward in its next phase of growth. It took us eighteen months to find a number of suitable candidates and he was up against some very strong opposition. He has my best wishes and full support in what he plans for the Trust.

I should like to thank all those who helped me during my time in the chair, which includes all those who argued the toss with me and made me rethink a lot of issues. It was a great adventure, I have achieved what I wanted to achieve for the Trust and for anglers and now it needs a different skill set to move it forward. I will remain on the board as long as George thinks I have value, and the members vote for me, and will continue to work for angling locally as well as in Europe.

Retiring from the chair means I have already had more rod hours this year :) than in all of the last four. Still haven't caught any more fish though :(

As just an ordinary angler I feel incredibly privileged to have been able to serve a sport I have loved for more than 60 years. Graham, I still have to catch that first barbel!

Mike