Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  44
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: A Million Voices for Angling

These posts all add up to us in general agreeing with the problem flagged in the original article and its cause. The issue is how / if there can be a response. I am still of the belief that it is vital for Angling to have a representative body. Such a body will never be able to get it right in terms of representing every issue to the satisfaction of every member with a view but that frankly is how things work (parliament?) and we have to be stronger with a representative voice than without one. Martin Salter is an example. No way is everyone going to agree with him on everything but the man knows how things work and I think his being part of the AT give them a way to understand this and gives them credibility. Its going to be a long, tough road for these guys and without support, they might as well give up now. None of this needs to detract from the efforts of individuals and/or clubs both of which have a vital role to play but even then, if these individual efforts were aligned to an overall strategy, there would be the opportunity to maximise efficiency and effect.

Steve said it all with his comments on fishing for Carp in puddles, many anglers can't see the attraction.

But lots of Young and youngish people like this type of fishing and if it's rocks their boat, why not ?

We have far to many anglers saying youngsters should learn about float fishing/legering and become good at that before they move onto Carp fishing.

That is total rubbish, get them into any sort of fishing, be it carp, match or pleasure, sure some will give it up after a short while, whilst other will carry on fishing for life.

And that is where I think AT is missing a trick, they should be running Carp Courses for Youngster along with the Match Fishing type courses.

Without more youngsters and with an ageing population of angler, tackle shops are going to close down and prices will rise as a result.

If for no better reason than that, we should encourage youngsters into the sport of Angling.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by mark brailsford 2 View Post
    Great thread Ron, thanks,
    Have noticed that the ''Gob shites'' that you mention have kept quiet!
    Never mind, it will be them that moan when fishing as all but gone!
    Ah bless you Mark, no one has engaged with you regards the irony in your post.... Ron asked; "And please no futile personal attacks, no gratuitous abuse"
    And all you've done is hurl futile abuse, dear, dear me, a little self control might be called for in future.

Out of curiosity Mark, why have you used quotation marks on the term "Gob shites" as I never noticed its usage in the article??

Ron, I have no intention of rewriting the same old things again just because you hold no validity to opinions that are contrary to yours. Which is clearly the case! Just go and read a few ATr threads with an open mind, it should all become clear.

Actually here's a new suggestion (well I've never seen anyone suggest before), if the ATr want/need more members both as a representative figure and for greater funding, why don't they target the biggest clubs in every region/county; the likes of Farnham AS in Surrey - 4500 members I'm told, BAA in Birmingham/Midlands - 20000 members, Newlands AC in Oxford - 1000 members etc
    As I'm led to believe Fish Legal insurances rates are exceptionally competitive.

I think that it is also erroneous to compare the Angling trust with the RSPB like for like. When the latter was set up there were no places owned by birdwatchers where they could go. Anglers have long held rights to fishing either leased or owned outright. If an angler is a member of an organisation such as Leeds AC then he has the collective might of that organisation behind them and some of these fishing clubs are or were larger than the Angling Trust.

The author's point about having too much faith in the Environment Agency is interesting too. As I see it the EA is a government body and therefore in theory is accountable to you via your MP. Democracy and all that. Who is the Angling Trust answerable to other than themselves?

I've already raised the issue about youngsters not coming into the sport. That is a sign of the times. A bit like Ron Clay asking where are all the archers these days? Or why don't people buy loose carrots instead of those cellophane packs?

But in essence I agree with cg74's post in that the author has set out his case, then ring-fenced it to try and avoid contradictory opinions. Sadly that is all too common with the pro Angling Trust debaters. The George W Bush approach: "You are either with us or against us." No middle ground or acceptance that they might not be right.
    I tread the path where no one goes,
    and cast to fish nobody knows.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nicepix View Post
    The George W Bush approach: "You are either with us or against us." No middle ground or acceptance that they might not be right.
    I don't think that's exactly right Nicey. I think it's more like 'you are either with us, or you have a reason/excuse not to join'.
    I don't think I've met one person yet who is against the idea of a single voice for angling but I have met a few who disagree with the present set-up. In which case I suggest that they join and make their opinions known; a member can change things from within an organisation but a non-member has no voice.
    So many cormorants.... so few recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffmaynard View Post
    I don't think that's exactly right Nicey. I think it's more like 'you are either with us, or you have a reason/excuse not to join'.
    I don't think I've met one person yet who is against the idea of a single voice for angling but I have met a few who disagree with the present set-up. In which case I suggest that they join and make their opinions known; a member can change things from within an organisation but a non-member has no voice.
    On that note Geoff you are an exception in the pro-Angling Trust camp. Others are not as accepting of alternative views.

Blog Entries

Oh I think they are, it's just that excuses not to join and make a difference are generally the alternative view!
    But, we've been down that road before

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Bonney View Post
    Oh I think they are, it's just that excuses not to join and make a difference are generally the alternative view!
    But, we've been down that road before
    That's exactly the belligerence I was talking about Geoff. Reasons Freddy. Not excuses. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean that they are wrong. Quite the reverse usually.

I'll tell you what. People like Fred Bonney do the Angling Trust far more harm than good. They ought to pay him to keep quiet.

Blog Entries

As I've said before on many occasions nitpix, your reasons just done carry any weight, they are what I've said... excuses.

And i still find it extremely hard to believe that the firmly held opinions of any individual should affect the membership quota of any organisation.
    It is just another excuse to use though.

binka Guest

Well I’ve just renewed my membership.

I was tired of feeling brow beaten into not joining by the fraternity that wouldn’t join because they complained about feeling brow beaten into joining.

Now it sounds a weak reason doesn’t it…

Tight lines for the weekend everyone, have a good one

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast