A Million Voices for Angling

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My suggestion then Will, is if things are official you should have had the common decency to contact me direct and not by open forum.

It's nothing to do with feeling harmed either, it's to do with personal insults.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Funny, you know, but when I think of some of those who claim to represent Angling nowadays, I go a bit blank, even begin getting them confused with this bunch of public-hating / -unfriendly, lost the plot, ultra desperate, heavily politicized, foot-shooting losers - Pressure mounts to ease the hunting ban - Telegraph

The more we fishers shout and argue among ourselves, the more the potential new recruits think "What a bunch of angry, special-pleading old and not-so-old farts..." and find something else with girls doing it.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thinking about it more Will, perhaps you would edit out your personal official statement and send it through personal channels.

It may also help the Angling Trust more if somebody was at least to keep an eye on forum, because reading on here today, there are long termers very disappointed with recent actions and won't be renewing, and certainly potential new members put off by being "stitched up" on the direct debit vague offer.

Time to start considering the members interests I think.

cg74

Reaction score
Thanks Jack.
When I pressed send on the post, I promised myself not to get drawn into anything other than the issues raised by Rons great article.
I have to answer Fred though, it's officially personal request Fred. I have no beef with you but I am looking at the whole thing objectively. We can all feel like the one being harmed when we're being disagreed with = existentialism.

For the sake of this thread, and the potential new members to FM (I have no vested interest other than enjoying the forums) please just stop, and please, the same request to those that need to place a comment that'll kick it all off again.

The ATr thread has been and gone, the same things are hashed out, you speak the loudest Fred and I'm afraid that I am slightly annoyed at you managing to imply that ATr members are all sanctimonious and sneering, equal only to white middle class twin set and pearl wearing, church going bigots.

Thats it, PM me for further Fred, I'll only be replying to any matters arising from my last post.

Will, with passionate yet objective minded folk like you on board I think the ATr could move forward.

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
Bit late in the day Ron (sorry I mean ROD, thanks nicepix) but I did like your article thank you, just a shame it quickly went off topic again. :(

I've skipped a few pages but...
Clearly there is something wrong with the ATr's marketing machine, pertinent points missing from press releases and lots of ambiguity and confusion abound.

My suggestion would be to factor out EVERYTHING to a PR company to help get those messages across more effectively.

The cost of a PR company could easily be offset by appointing elected regional volunteer representatives to drum up more support, recruit and encourage new memberships. Such a representative (or his deputy(s)) would and should be able to answer our questions or at least refer us to the appropriate person/resources.

As for Keith, the decision should have been to leave him be or net him. All sensible considerations. The cost of netting would likely have been a lot less from all the bad PR that followed by suggesting he be shot. Saying that though; isnt that what any Government minister in power would do? throw it out into the public arena to see what the reaction would be?
No different in that regard.

---------- Post added at 02:35 ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 ----------

Hi Will, Hope your keeping well?
Sorry to hear about the break in, I didnt see it on twits but surprised nobody had responded with offers of help?

Last edited:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Will.

I actually felt humbled by seeing your post.

I will be joining the AT, because of people like you.

I have a couple of decent rods and lots of bits I'm happy to bring along next time we manage to have a fish maybe you can use them for some youngsters.

I'm happy I have done my bit in the past to help bring youngsters into the angling fraternity, but if you think I can help in anyway by gaining tackle sponsorship and help in an official or unofficial volunteer way, I have the time.

Talk when you have time. ATB

Graham

B

binka

For clarification the £2.50 monthly subscription is taken over 12 months, meaning a £30 annual cost if paying via this option with the additional £5 said to be for administration costs.

Confirmed just now with a simple telephone call... for what it's worth I do think that it should have been made clear, along with the reason, in their initial release.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Funny, you know, but when I think of some of those who claim to represent Angling nowadays, I go a bit blank, even begin getting them confused with this bunch of public-hating / -unfriendly, lost the plot, ultra desperate, heavily politicized, foot-shooting losers - Pressure mounts to ease the hunting ban - Telegraph

The more we fishers shout and argue among ourselves, the more the potential new recruits think "What a bunch of angry, special-pleading old and not-so-old farts..." and find something else with girls doing it.

Oh, you are a wag Paul

How can you attempt to draw a parallel between the well organized pro-Hunt groups with the disarray found in Angling politics today?

On the one hand you have tens of thousands of people contributing to a cause that they believe in whilst on the other hand we see the desperate state that the Angling trust is in today.

Where was the angling support when around 400,000 people marched in demonstration against that stupid proposed Act?

Regardless, the article that you have linked actually refers to achieving parity in the laws between England and Wales and that currently in operation Scotland.

laguna

Reaction score
Can I just say that it is ROD Sturdy who wrote the article. He's not called RON :D

Um, er, yeah thanks for reminding me nicepix! :D
Apologies ROD, I sort of lost track (about page 2) as to who said what and when and to whom to be honest... never mind what it was all about! :eek:mg:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Reason why I began my "Stonehenge (Meaning of)" thread, which is making eminently more sense than this one.

cg74

Reaction score
For clarification the £2.50 monthly subscription is taken over 12 months, meaning a £30 annual cost if paying via this option with the additional £5 said to be for administration costs.

Confirmed just now with a simple telephone call... for what it's worth I do think that it should have been made clear, along with the reason, in their initial release.

I know to encourage greater membership numbers, introduce payments by D.D, so anyone wishing to join but is feeling the pinch can pay easier BUT rather than the ATr just absorbing any costs, they'll slap it back on the member.....
Bit of a faux pas!

Do the powers that be not know what positive PR is, I'm all for things being done on a level playing field, this though, is an own goal!

Members go on about having to pay for a professional service, is this a professional service?

richiekelly

Reaction score
I dont understand why anyone that joins through the new DD system should pay more for being able to do so, i pay for my electricity on DD each month and get it cheaper than i would through paying a quarterly bill.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I dont understand why anyone that joins through the new DD system should pay more for being able to do so, i pay for my electricity on DD each month and get it cheaper than i would through paying a quarterly bill.

Problem is, for certain things like car or home insurance, they tack on a charge for paying in instalments. It's all theft but sadly it is a precedent!

Will Barnard

Reaction score
Is there a banking charge accrued through processing direct debit payments, like there is a percentage on transactions on a pdq machine. I'm guessing this is akin to the corner shop not taking card payment for anything valued at less than a fivers worth?