RiverFest Triumph!

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
I'm no big fan of match fishing but those weights prove at least one of our rivers is back on form. I remember covering matches on that stretch which produced patchy weights and loads of dry nets.

I'm possibly the turkey voting for Christmas, here, but I do hope there's a resurgence in river matches, even if just to get club finances back in the black and prevent the loss of even more club waters.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I was there for the last afternoon Mark. A couple of guys did blank on the Sunday but most caught. Bear in mind that weather conditions and river conditions and levels were at their absolute best - and these guys were the best of the best.
I'll give that stretch a crack when I can stand going out in the cold - it's bloody Arctic out there!

martinsalter

Reaction score
How very dare we restrict an Angling Trust competition to Angling Trust members...clearly our staff and volunteers should work for nothing for those who want to pay nothing and contribute nothing...great idea ! :)

cg74

Reaction score
I fully agree it's a great event and advert for river fishing, well done Dave Harrell and co.

Though I am left confused as to how/why two of the biggest threats too our rivers; Thames Water and Severn Trent Water came to be sponsors of the event??

Will one of next years qualifiers be held on the river Crane?

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Excellent. With sponsor-me corporate friends like these, who needs....

martinsalter

Reaction score
I guess there's no such thing as a perfect sponsor - booze and fag companies included. But Thames Water have an active angling development arm which encourages youngsters to take up fishing plus they open up their waters eg Farmoor & Walthamstow to anglers so they tick a few boxes.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess there's no such thing as a perfect sponsor

Probably right, but it could be said that some are better than others?

"In the period 2005-2013 Thames Water was the most heavily fined water company in the UK for pollution incidents, paying £842,500 for 87 events.

It also paid the largest fine for a single incident of £204,000.

Following concern that the level of fines was too low, in 2013 the Sentencing Council proposed a significant increase in the level of fines for water pollution.

The proposals would see the average fine increase to £250,000 and the maximum £2 million."

[source: section 2.2 Thames Water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ]

A case could be argued for curious bedfellows?

Last edited:

cg74

Reaction score
I guess there's no such thing as a perfect sponsor - booze and fag companies included. But Thames Water have an active angling development arm which encourages youngsters to take up fishing plus they open up their waters eg Farmoor & Walthamstow to anglers so they tick a few boxes.

You're probably right, "there's no such thing as a perfect sponsor"
But some are more/less imperfect than others!

Would you not agree Thames Water allow angling on their reservoirs purely for financial gain and weak willed PR?

How would it strike you, if you heard that Gary Glitter was setting up a Girl Guide group?

richiekelly

Reaction score
Fancy your chances then?

No do you?..........

---------- Post added at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 ----------

Probably right, but it could be said that some are better than others?

"In the period 2005-2013 Thames Water was the most heavily fined water company in the UK for pollution incidents, paying £842,500 for 87 events.

It also paid the largest fine for a single incident of £204,000.

Following concern that the level of fines was too low, in 2013 the Sentencing Council proposed a significant increase in the level of fines for water pollution.

The proposals would see the average fine increase to £250,000 and the maximum £2 million."

[source: section 2.2 Thames Water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ]

A case could be argued for curious bedfellows?

And who pays for the fines? the customer, about time it was the directors some of whom wear 2 hats but insist they do a good job.

---------- Post added at 10:59 ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 ----------

How very dare we restrict an Angling Trust competition to Angling Trust members...clearly our staff and volunteers should work for nothing for those who want to pay nothing and contribute nothing...great idea ! :)

And how many would be members if they didn't have to be to fish matches?

sam vimes

Reaction score

A perfectly valid point. However, I've heard a few match types moaning about this, how exactly did Fishomania (or any other competition that predates the AT) become an Angling Trust competition? Fisho predates the Trust by a decade or two and, as far as I'm aware, you didn't need to be a member of anything, until relatively recently, to enter.

richiekelly

Reaction score

Nice to see someone from the trust posting on here in defence of the trust,

How about answering some of the things raised in the thread "contradictions"

richiekelly

Reaction score
No not really but then again its what I would expect from an ex mp, and also from the organisation that claim to represent all anglers when they do not, listen to what I say but don't ask awkward questions because you wont get an answer, I don't find it funny just downright ignorant.

I remember on other threads about the trust others saying it was a case of jobs for the boys, I think they were right.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Nothing new in that aspect of match entry/qualification.

Way before the ATr, anyone who wanted to fish the "nationals" (in their various guises) had to be members of the NFA, often via their club/match group, and that membership was only valid after compulsory attendance at a minimum number of regional meetings.

cg74

Reaction score
ha ha ha you guys didn't really expect an answer did you ?

No I didn't expect any sort of reply, I am quite shocked that Martin responded to my first post but I noticed the lack of a reply to my straight forward question re using the river Crane as one of next years venues.

Last edited: