Catch the Beavers...

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations to the Angling Trust for their action on this topic.

Now, I wonder, am I alone in seeing the irony of "escaped" Beavers just happening to find a river called the Otter?

Regardless of whether or not these are escapees or if they have been deliberately introduced it is good to see the Trust acting swiftly.

That said, I hope there will be an inquiry into how and where these have come from, and if illegally introduced then I hope those responsible are dealt with using the full force of the law.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it is the politicians, the real ones, who take things slowly Paul.

The Trust took up the cudgel and made representation to those empowered to actually do something about this problem.

For that, at least, they should be applauded . . . . . . . . there are many campaigns that they get up to that I truly disagree with, but on this occasion I will say well done as it is deserved.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Quite agree. I was warning about beavers on forums fly, coarse and barb years and years ago, showing my fellow fishers and better-take-a-gander-the-Gt.Unwashed politicos what I had seen and experienced in Tierra del Fuego from the early 1990s to mid 2000s - farm-escaped Canadian beaver totally destroying a fragile, far Southern Hemisphere riverine and forest ecosystem.

Ten-year timelag before action taken - not bad, I suppose.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think this re introduction of species that have long been extinct in Britain stupid. The defense of re introducing is often, they were here before and its only man that caused there demise so, its OK to reintroduce them. As said in the article the country side changes, other species adapt, increase or decrease to fill in the changed ecology. It does not stand that they will re introduce successfully, and do we really need them?.
Plus, this has led me to ask a question, where did these beavers come from, are there beaver farms nearby? The only beavers I know of (and I don't know much) have been introduce experimentally to places in Scotland which I imagine are secret, well guarded and confined. So, did someone steal them and transport them all the way to Devon. Or did they import them from abroad or smuggle them through customs?
Apart from there being a beaver farm nearby where these animals might have escaped from, they must have gone to an awful lot of trouble and expense to do this. Why?

thecrow

Reaction score
I think this re introduction of species that have long been extinct in Britain stupid. The defense of re introducing is often, they were here before and its only man that caused there demise so, its OK to reintroduce them. As said in the article the country side changes, other species adapt, increase or decrease to fill in the changed ecology. It does not stand that they will re introduce successfully, and do we really need them?.
Plus, this has led me to ask a question, where did these beavers come from, are there beaver farms nearby? The only beavers I know of (and I don't know much) have been introduce experimentally to places in Scotland which I imagine are secret, well guarded and confined. So, did someone steal them and transport them all the way to Devon. Or did they import them from abroad or smuggle them through customs?
Apart from there being a beaver farm nearby where these animals might have escaped from, they must have gone to an awful lot of trouble and expense to do this. Why?[/QUOTE]

Because they have nice cuddly faces :)

ken more

Reaction score
Because they have nice cuddly faces :)[/QUOTE]

I,for one, would not like to cuddle any of the two. I think they would be capable
of doing the head, or face, some serious damage. Not the issue i know, but nevertheless.:eek:

Ken

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Strange this, because in Scotland the Beaver is doing the opposite to what the AT claim.

Just jumping on the bandwagon to score points.

As for nature etc etc changing, it is, because you get dump arse idiots wiping out animals etc etc. If the Human race hadn't wiped them out in the first place, they wouldn't have to be re introduced.

As for Wolfe's Lord Paul they are also back in Scotland.

Nature looks after itself better than we can look after it.

I for one am happy the Beaver is back..

Funny how anglers don't worry about Barbel being put into rivers where they shouldn't be ??

Philip

Reaction score
Just last weekend I had 3 screaming takes from Coypus. I even "landed" one...

They are pretty much like beavers so for anyone interested 15lb line and a 2.75 TC rod seems to handle them ok...

The bad one

Reaction score
In principle I’d agree with Ray, but we live on a crowed island, getting more crowed by the year, and have very few truly wild places left on them. The English countryside is a manmade and managed environment. Sadly, because of the crowding and it management it is no longer suited to beavers because of the conflict their lifestyle would cause. One only has to look at furore at the flooding of less than 500 houses on the Summerset Levels last year. Hell man what would be the calmer be if a town the size of Welshpool, Ross on Wye flooded because of beavers damming the river?

So in this instance bandwagon jumping or not, the ATr is right to call for what will be problem if not checked sooner than later.

I’ve seen beavers, wolves, elk and bison (Poland) in other Eastern EU countries and Russia and they cause very few problems because they have the truly wild wilderness to accommodate them. England and Wales don’t, it’s that simple!

In Poland I met a group of German Naturalists who came from Brandenburg, where they regularly see wolf packs when out trekking in the woods. They see and reported no problems of the wolves coming into conflict with humans. Any livestock damage they do do is compensated for by Federal State Province. In short they live side by side with them. They couldn’t get their head around our raptures of seeing a fleeting glance of a wolf pack running through the Polish woodland.
They did however really prick their ears up when we told them about seeing the bison 3 of them in the woods in the National Park.

beerweasel

Reaction score
I don't want to see Beavers,Bears,Wolves or Lynx, I do want to see Burbot.
But that won't happen because they're not fluffy. Grrr

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Every one loves beavers, seals, otters, probably cormorants as well. No one loves fish except us. We were once those eccentric quaint people who sit with a worm on their hooks and don't even take the fish home to eat. Are we becoming a reactionary group opposed to every ones else pleasure. We oppose hydro electric schemes as well, jobs and investment in the infrastructure to some people. Could we become public enemy number one ? Is there a danger of over doing it?

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Every one loves beavers, seals, otters, probably cormorants as well. No one loves fish except us. We were once those eccentric quaint people who sit with a worm on their hooks and don't even take the fish home to eat. Are we becoming a reactionary group opposed to every ones else pleasure. We oppose hydro electric schemes as well, jobs and investment in the infrastructure to some people. Could we become public enemy number one ? Is there a danger of over doing it?

Certainly what I have been warning Anglers about for the past couple of decades or so, in private, at talks until the last one, a private one, was gatecrashed by pisci/rural nutters, on the fishy internut :- beware becoming the permanently outraged and "got the right 'ump" about something (anything and everything), and in doing so become toxic to everyone except our angry little trainspotter, blinkered selves. Won me a lot of fans, from the controlling, "The management reserves the right to...." top end to the always put-upon, "This is how it is now for you chaps..." grunts on the ground.

Oh well, only in Britain, particularly enemy within Little England.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Wolves are back? that good news - since I can't hunt foxes with hounds maybe I can get the pack to track down a wolf

'Fraid not yer lordship.

The 2004 Hunting Act bans the hunting of "wild mammals" with dogs.

Personally, I would not classify hunt saboteurs as "wild mammals" - so, food for thought, or what?

[insert large whistling smiley > > > > HERE]

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
'Fraid not yer lordship.

The 2004 Hunting Act bans the hunting of "wild mammals" with dogs.

Personally, I would not classify hunt saboteurs as "wild mammals" - so, food for thought, or what?

[insert large whistling smiley > > > > HERE]

so in theory if I raise somw fox cubs as "tame" pets they are no longer "wild" mammals and I can hunt them

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
so in theory if I raise somw fox cubs as "tame" pets they are no longer "wild" mammals and I can hunt them

Haha, nice one Lord.

---------- Post added at 17:11 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

I find it funny that those who want to protect our wildlife and Country side are seen as rural nutters by the few, who think they know best about everything, when infact they are only interested in their own welfare.

You can't beat seeing an Otter eating a Salmon, it's natural, unlike a Toff with his servant on the river bank.

Jeeves, get in the water with that net thing, land it and un hook the Bounder.

I will have the trophy shot standing with the catch on my own.