Marijuana Could Wipe out Salmon…

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This story was going the rounds of the American flyfishing sites several months ago, especially with the current, great Californian drought - and quite rightly.

The old-style, small-scale Northern Californian growers who supplied the "California grass" to Jo-Jo in the Beatles' song Get Back have been replaced, you see - by Mexican cartels who have grown tired of losing their product to the American Feds as it crosses the Border.

These guys plant thousands of marijane plants in great plantations cut out of remote, public forests and divert the entire flows of streams and springs to irrigate them.

Mega business, mega violence waiting to happen, mega environmental damage.

robtherake

Reaction score
When it said it'd wipe them out I envisaged the salmon having a great time...;)

Guess I was wrong, then :eek:mg:

dead peg

Reaction score
It could also wipe out any Chocolate Selection boxes that you may have bought for your kids :)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Funny, you know, how we never heard a peep from the big-name and no-name carp anglers fishing Savay and Broadwater and, further down the Colne Valley, the Wraysburys and nearby others, in the 1980s about the many many dozens of plants grown by people - themselves anglers - known to me as some of my loose-lipped rod-buying clients of the time. I rather suspect that half of the online (Coarse Sites) trouble that I had from people in the mid 2000s, when I was fishing a lot of the Colne for barbel and carp pretty well daily, wasn't the swims and the fish that I knew and which were unknown to others but the locations of all the £££s plants they erroneously thought Boote had planted up and down the Valley. Funny how people transfer / transmit / whatever their darkest desires and ambitions onto the wrong person!

B

binka

I have a bit of a tear away elder sister who, going back thirty odd years, I visited shortly after she bought her own house.

I was so naïve that I commented on how nice her bathroom looked with all those plants that were growing in that warm, humid atmosphere :D

greenie62

Reaction score
..... I rather suspect that half of the online (Coarse Sites) trouble that I had from people in the mid 2000s, when I was fishing a lot of the Colne for barbel and carp pretty well daily, wasn't the swims and the fish that I knew and which were unknown to others but the locations of all the £££s plants they erroneously thought Boote had planted up and down the Valley. Funny how people transfer / transmit / whatever their darkest desires and ambitions onto the wrong person!
Thus demonstrating a degree of paranoia which is one of the few known side-effects of frequent use of ........ guess what! ;):cool:

B

binka

Thus demonstrating a degree of paranoia which is one of the few known side-effects of frequent use of ........ guess what! ;):cool:

Smarties? :D

I recall watching a programme where the Cornish police were doing regular patrols in a helicopter during the summer months around remote cliff top locations to suss out cannabis growing sites... Looked good too from the air, lots of wild flora with a random patch of neatly cultivated rows of plants right in the middle of it :D :D

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes. Very likely. But then I did have my very own local, chase-me-down-the-street stalker back in the 2000s (after the names of my big barbel, I concluded); a strange, twenty years on, encounter with one of those old rod clients, smartly Desert Storm camoed-up, who insulted me pointblank during a chat on the riverbank as I packed up early one evening, causing his clearly "Yer what?" astonished fishing companion to step between us (no need) and a gent on one website who kept sending me links by personal message to cannabis growing forums.

A very, very, very, odd lot.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I like the way they talk about regulating the illegal trade as though it was possible. Wake up America, you are being invaded; and you're dragging the rest of us into the pit with you.