Go on, Make Their Lives Hell!

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We are in an age now where politics have a huge bearing on all aspects of our lives and by shutting of all discussion of it and it's possible effect on fishing I believe this forum is underestimating the ability of the forum members to have a reasoned debate without resorting to personal insults.

Perhaps a loosening, or even a moratorium on that rule during the next few weeks is in order, just to see if the forum members can be trusted to behave like responsible adults.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The article centres on Angling issues within politics and as such is well within our Rules and T&C's

As has been previously noted, sites such a Facebook allow, and seem to actively encourage, general political debate and argument where it is perectly appropriate to support her Party of your choice.

Here, however, it is not.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
The thread about EE's was relevant to angling issues.....

if political issues are not allowed then why post a political thread after moderating another?

I think that some consistency is required...

---------- Post added at 12:21 ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 ----------

Even angling politics will illicit debate about general policies, for example how is a debate about Britain's growing population about angling....? yet it was amongst the questions asked in the link you provided....

---------- Post added at 12:26 ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 ----------

• Will his/her party commit to scrapping the environmentally-unfriendly, disproportionately expensive and ultimately London-centric HS2 project?

• How does his/her party propose to deal with the problem of containing the UK’s unsustainable population growth?

Both of those questions only have a most tenuous link to angling, if any at all yet will encourage political debate.....

Hell I'm not out to make trouble..... but if you are going to have forum rules then shouldn't the administration, as well as it's membership, follow them as well.....?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The thread about EE's was relevant to angling issues.....

if political issues are not allowed then why post a political thread after moderating another?

I think that some consistency is required...

---------- Post added at 12:21 ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 ----------

Even angling politics will illicit debate about general policies, for example how is a debate about Britain's growing population about angling....? yet it was amongst the questions asked in the link you provided....

The original intent of the thread (according to the originator) was solely connected to the perceived problem that is caused by EE anglers having different ethos to that of the indiginous anglers.

It became more general when areas of Party politics were posted and some leaders of pllitical parties named, and that is when the thread received a moderation note.

Your argument, as it appears to be quite normal now, rests on how many angels can one sit on the head of a pin . . . . . . . . . hair splitting in order to support what really is an unsupportable position.

We will not vary or change the moderation policy regarding politics and/or religion, and again, it is what we all signed up to when joining.

There are many other sites that allow and encourage these type of posts, however Fishingagic is not one of them.

Finally, as noted previosuly, the Article was aimed at wholly angling related issues so the policy is not inconsistant, unless there are more angles on the head of your pin . . . . . .

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
The article centres on Angling issues within politics and as such is well within our Rules and T&C's

As has been previously noted, sites such a Facebook allow, and seem to actively encourage, general political debate and argument where it is perectly appropriate to support her Party of your choice.

Here, however, it is not.

Peter,
Well done to you for trying to moderate this shower! Hope it's worth the money! :eek: Wotya mean - there is no money? You're an idiot Jacobs! :D:eek:mg:

I am tempted to agree with some of the posters - even theCrow! - that by allowing the overtly political FM OP you have put yourself between a rock and a hard place! :eek:mg:
Tight Lines!

barbelboi

Reaction score
HS2 is a major angling issue - especially if you live and fish in the Colne valley..............

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Your argument, as it appears to be quite normal now, rests on how many angels can one sit on the head of a pin . . . . . . . . . hair splitting in order to support what really is an unsupportable position.

We will not vary or change the moderation policy regarding politics and/or religion, and again, it is what we all signed up to when joining.

I could take offence at your accusation that I am argumentative... because someone is capable of logical debate is not a basis for making assumptions...

And I am not calling for a change in FM forum policy.... just asking for some consistency.

The point I am trying to make (unsuccessfully it seems) is that if you include angling subjects in political debate, yet ban general political debate you end up tying yourself in knots trying to extricate one from the other.... and has been said... putting yourself between a rock and a hard place, or any other fitting platitude it would seem...

Anyway..... enough already:cool:

thecrow

Reaction score
I am tempted to agree with some of the posters - even theCrow!

Don't put yourself out on my behalf :) some on here take things far to seriously, others use it as a chance to crow (the farmyard type) thank goodness for a sense of humour that some have :)

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------

Doesn't look to be much to do with angling in this bit

The likelihood this time round of either of the major political parties being forced into a coalition is once more very high. So it is now very easy for a minority faction to make that and other pledges: cutting public transport fares, providing free childcare, scrapping our nuclear defence capability, you name it.

Not unless you need someone to watch the kids while you catch the bus to fish at HMNB Clyde that is :D:wh

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
If I had my way, as a moderator, I would have deleted the article! :eek:mg:

But, we the mods, don't have any editorial influence, and quite rightly so! :)

We will just have to do our best to interpret according to our own judgement, as always.

dangermouse

Reaction score
If I had my way, as a moderator, I would have deleted the article! :eek:mg:

But, we the mods, don't have any editorial influence, and quite rightly so! :)

We will just have to do our best to interpret according to our own judgement, as always.

Well, there`s your answer boys. If you want to post about politics, submit an article. :D

Of course no one will be able to comment on it. But at least you can get your point across. :wh

laguna

Reaction score
I note that the Greens are campaigning intensively in this election. This gives me slight cause for concern in that I recollect that the German Green Party were instrumental in passing a crazy law that all fish caught by anglers had to be killed, something which would make coarse fishing as we know it in the UK virtually impossible. Fortunately the regulation in question has now been scrapped.

If true? then its most welcomed as I'd said before of the lunacy; it otherwise and equally should apply to our pets suffering a 'stressful ordeal' from an irritational itch - put to sleep by the vet for a flea bite!

and what of my long suffering wife?

(joke Dear, its a joke...) :eek:mg:

jasonbean1

Reaction score
What gets me still is how Rod does not engage in the forum after putting is articles up?

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Well, there`s your answer boys. If you want to post about politics, submit an article. :D

Of course no one will be able to comment on it. But at least you can get your point across. :wh

Maybe Rod Sturdy has gone rogue