Elevated Carping

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
http://www.fishingmagic.com/fm-features/18401-elevated-carping.html

Thanks to Adrian Lander for this short but entertaining article.

files.php

...only small - but a novel capture!

mightyboosh

Reaction score
Nice story. I would rather have caught that fish in that place, than a 20 from a horrible commercial water. Maybe that's just me.

I wonder how the carp got in there?

greenie62

Reaction score
....I wonder how the carp got in there?

A few years back - many Welsh hill-farms with a patch of water on them were tempted to create 'fisheries' as part of the 'diversification' programme and even received some grant-aid for the set-up. A lot of these were trout-pits stocked with rainbows - but the pH and water quality was not always suitable for trout - so some were stocked with carp.

Years go by and the farm continues to be less than profitable for the family running it - and is eventually sold-off to meet debts - with the result that the farm goes back to being open-grazing land - with a pond of uncared-for carp in the middle - some of these survive to breed - usually the 'commons' - but, with the dearth of food, never flourish and grow to the size of previous generations.

I'm guessing that most of their high-protein food is fly and wind-blown insect life - which is why they respond so well to pellets splashing onto the water.

If you find one of these pools - give it a go - but keep it secret!:cool: