Your opinions, please!

Would you like an FM magazine, separate from Forums?

• Yes, I would like to see Forums separate from a substantial bi-monthly FM on-line magazine

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • No, I'm happy with the current format.

Votes: 16 76.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
We're keen, here at FM Towers, to know if viewers would welcome a separate, bi-monthly, FM on-line magazine. Such a (linked) site would free 'Forums' and allow valuable articles, stories and advertisements to remain visible and 'current' for longer. It could be a 'scroller' or, possibly, a 'page-turner', but for now: how do YOU feel about this?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I am more than happy with the status quo.

The crux of the matter is; do people come to FM for the forums and then to read the articles, or do those who read the articles then decide to comment in the forums . . . . .

One is the proverbial Cart while the other is the proverbial Horse . . . .

N'est pas?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm not bothered either way. I suppose that much will depend on how you get here. Personally, I come for the forum and never access the site through the home page. I rarely bother with the articles and never read them unless they are highlighted on the forum. For me, FM is a forum with an incidental magazine element that I don't see much of. I guess that it'll be different for others that come for the articles and find an incidental forum.

mightyboosh

Reaction score
I'm vaguely aware that there is more to FM than the forums. No disrespect to FM or the contributors, but I'm not really interested in the rest.

greenie62

Reaction score
Pretty much the same as Sam...............

I concur. Sam has expressed my position so succinctly that I would just repeat. PJ has also hit the nail on the head with his Horse & Cart question.
What are the implications for the Ed? Or won't he know until the FMExit vote?:confused:

laguna

Reaction score
The articles aren't prominent enough with the extra clicks to a 'dedicated thread'. Its the software that needs changing IMHO not a page turner. It says something when a Google search often displays more deep and hidden Gems than the software on FM's own server.

Windy

Reaction score
Mr. Vimes has summed it up for me too.

I access the site through the Forum, hit the new posts button and rarely read any of the articles, with the odd exception when the title (or some comment about the article on the Forum) happens to catch my eye and interest.

I wouldn't want to have just the Forum with articles elsewhere tho. The odd exception above is important to me, and making access to them more remote or difficult would be a loss of valued amenity.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Simples!

Any new investment should primarily be directed to the forum software for FM and the other related forums. They should be the family jewels but are rusting away in the depths of a deep cellar where the key to the locked door seems to have been thrown away years ago.

A modern, up to date approach to how the forums work for the members will generate more traffic, more active participation and open up the potential for lots of add-ons like on-line magazines!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Reading the above makes me think the article/feature section does not get viewed much; would moving it entirely make it worse? I only usually look at three-- articles, general and coarse; occasionally something else catches my eye. Mainly because if I used more I would forget were or if I posted something half the time being 60% senile; or is it 99%- I forget these days.

Sometimes I think if it was all on one section with a main heading Article, General, Sea, Fly, Barbel, Carp etc followed by the sub title it would all get a better reading. When you start a new thread you have to choose a main title from a drop down menu first (Article, General, Sea, Fly, Barbel, Carp etc) then add your sub title-Then everyone is likely to spot something they would participate in.

Another way would be for the different articles and features be advertised in the general and coarse sections with the title and a brief description followed by a direct link to the said feature or article. This might engender a greater participation as quite a few say they don't click open the article/feature section unless its mentioned in one of the main forums.

Although I think the first suggestion might work better-one page with everything on it or maybe two or three just covering some big themes with a drop down menu when you start a new thread which would become the main title..

Generally I would say its all spread a bit too much as it is and less may be better, not more.

Last edited:

cb

Admin
Reaction score
A modern, up to date approach to how the forums work

Thanks for the feedback! What feature is missing Neil? One of the reason we haven't upgraded this software is that we have so many addons and plugins installed that we'd hate to lose them!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Seems to me the plethora of Add-Ons could be a direct result of still relying on vbulletin v3.

The current version is v5 and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they no longer support v3 (or indeed v4). If so, that must surely put unnecessary pressure and responsibility on Admin.

I would expect the latest version to seamlessly integrate any old but popular Add-Ons or cater for that functionality within the main software.

Image handling is a prime example. Mobile/tablet compatibility, rather than using third party apps to make it look good on those screens, is another.

The mobile/tablet thing was a revelation to me. The traffic and business on a site moved from around 20% via mobiles/tablets to 85% in less than 18 months. Of that 85% the majority didn't go further than the first "click" because the presentation was awful. Changing that created a whole new world for the expansion of the business and their user base.

---------- Post added at 15:20 ---------- Previous post was at 15:10 ----------

I still use a PC (am now) and the forum looks fine. About two years ago I upgraded my phone and bought a tablet, both Android, and I've upgraded again since. The forums look awful on them and I quickly lose the will to live. I could download third party apps, some are free, some you pay for. Why should I?

Most of my online activity is now via phone &/or tablet, except Fish&Fly Forums!

I use Google Analytics for a couple of sites I'm involved with and the mobile/tablet "click through" volumes are now a massive proportion of the total. In that sense, PCs and similar are dead in the water.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Personally I am more than happy with the status quo.

The crux of the matter is; do people come to FM for the forums and then to read the articles, or do those who read the articles then decide to comment in the forums . . . . .

One is the proverbial Cart while the other is the proverbial Horse . . . .

N'est pas?

You're probably the only one old enough to remember Status Quo :wh:eek:mg:

That's Fightin Talk, Mister....:)

(PS: I KNOW what the Latin phrase means, just exercising my cheek supply....:wh)

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I come on site quite often, I don't post every time, preferring to post when I have something to say.

To be honest I cannot remember the last time I read an article on here, it was properly Simon King on Chub fishing.

So if it was me I would leave well alone, the forums seem to look after themselves.

Bob

cb

Admin
Reaction score
Most of my online activity is now via phone &/or tablet, except Fish&Fly Forums!

Neil, you can change to iphone style for your phone (bottom left of this forum). I did once force this style on mobile users but I got complaints from Tapatalk users so turned it off.

I'm a - small fish, big screen - man myself :)

Sorry, now back to topic!