Stop cigarette litter killing our aquatic wildlife

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay . . . . . now, as laudable an idea as this is, it is really not in the same league as:

Over abstraction
Repeated Sewage pollution
Industrial waste pollution
Road and Farm water run offs
Flooding, and
Pharmaceutical and endocrine disruptors in our rivers

Regardless however, was Prof. Gersberg's research undertaken here in the UK or back in his home State of California, and if so on what species of fish and in what environments; freshwater or saltwater, or both?

Notwithstanding, when I used to smoke I always carried an old Holdorn tin for all of my cigarette butts, and would recommend all smokers to do the same.

In fact my ones had very nicely pained pictures of both Carp and Tench on them.

rayner

Reaction score
All very good points, ban them as well.
But smokers inflict their addiction on non smokers indiscriminately, usually in the next peg to me.
It should have restrictions especially on fisheries.
Even worse are the ganga smokers. YUCK.

thecrow

Reaction score
Not being in the mood to read the "science" I haven't but unless fish are ingesting cigarette butts I don't know how fish would be harmed as the filter on a cigarette is made from wood pulp that has been spun into cig tow or it was when it was made in this country.

Of course leaving cigarette ends about is to be discouraged as much as any other littering but sometimes I wonder who pays for this "science"

robtherake

Reaction score
Not being in the mood to read the "science" I haven't but unless fish are ingesting cigarette butts I don't know how fish would be harmed as the filter on a cigarette is made from wood pulp that has been spun into cig tow or it was when it was made in this country.

Of course leaving cigarette ends about is to be discouraged as much as any other littering but sometimes I wonder who pays for this "science"

Nicotine is a water-soluble contact poison, but being natural it biodegrades in no time - I use a vile concoction made from fag ends to spray any nasties that are infesting the vegetable plot, but you can eat the sprayed veg a couple of days later without ill effect. I reckon you'd have to empty a scrapyard's worth of full car ashtrays into a pond - all at once - to do any real damage. What utter bulls**t.

thecrow

Reaction score
Nicotine is a water-soluble contact poison, but being natural it biodegrades in no time - I use a vile concoction made from fag ends to spray any nasties that are infesting the vegetable plot, but you can eat the sprayed veg a couple of days later without ill effect. I reckon you'd have to empty a scrapyard's worth of full car ashtrays into a pond - all at once - to do any real damage. What utter bulls**t.

I reckon there are a lot more things going into our water to worry about than this, some of it condoned by the government, your fag end concoction sounds awful I bet it stinks :D

rayner

Reaction score
I don't believe fag ends can harm any water course, so banning fags because of that is ridiculous.
It's the stench that concerns me, it's horrendous.
If people smoke that's their choice, they should not be allowed to smoke around folk who have the sense not to smoke.
Now put that fag down and pass me my bottle of meths. HICK.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Try vaping. No stench, no litter, no butts, no burnt shirts - and much cheaper than cig's! Held correctly, and with the appropriate expression, makes you look intelligent too....:)

thecrow

Reaction score
I am an ex smoker but often I think about starting again, in fact I was saying as much this morning while on the phone to a fellow FMer, I enjoyed a smoke and really don't know why I stopped as I have been worse healthwise since I did.

I don't seem to have any more cash than I did before stopping so it must be going on something else but for the life of me I don't know what.

The stuff that makes cigarette tips so white is also the stuff that makes your icecream white (and plenty of other food stuffs) its titanium dioxide so that wont be doing any harm

So just what is it that is harming our fisheries angling trust or do you just put this rubbish out without first considering if its correct or do you take any chance to publicise yourself ignoring whether its true or not.

I can tell you what is harming our fisheries, its the sh!t put into rivers by one of your sponsors!