Would YOU change your fishing methods?

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Would you change your fishing methods?

All branches of angling are predicated on the hooking of a fish, the penetration of a fish’s lip or mouth area with a curved, pointed piece of steel. Whether or not this violation of a fish’s body actually hurts in the way humans feel pain has been debated for decades. The most up-to-date, scientific advice is that fish do not and cannot feel pain as we know it.

But pain or no pain, we can still physically damage our quarry, reducing its resistance to disease and generally jeopardizing its life-chances: careless handling, unnecessarily long retention, deep hooking, heavy tactics…even the most humane capture is an experience a fish would decline, I’m sure.

Nonetheless, we anglers are essentially kindly souls who reconcile their fish-hooking activities with their love of the natural world and concern for the environment; we take the view, I believe, that all living things have their crosses to bear and that a fish’s lot is relatively cushy: when did you last hear of a family of bream dying in a house-fire, or brother and sister roach sustaining fatal injuries in a multi-car pile-up on the M6?

Naturally, we do our best to look after our captures and have self-imposed rules considered ridiculous by most of the world’s fisher-people, but could we do more? This question is asked not because I see us as anything other than caring, humane fisher-folk; only to determine if there are mildly undesirable aspects of our practice we could shed with few or no ill effects on our way of life.

A much-respected colleague of mine would ban the hooking of worms and all other live-bait with the exception of maggots because they’re maggots and it’s all they deserve; but his ‘one-rod only’ idea has some merit, I think, in its distillation of angling’s essence: Man against fish. To fish two, three or four rods makes it, effectively, men against fish, he says. To be sure, the sight of a fly-fisher single-mindedly pursuing a brook trout with a thin wand and a near-weightless scrap of fluff captures a truer picture of what fishing is all about – doesn’t it? Contrast this with a modern carping scenario and you’ll have to agree! I’m not knocking carpers here (though heaven knows some deserve it), just trying to determine what constitutes ‘fishing’ most precisely.

files.php

One man, one rod - a 'purer' kind of angling?

Treble hooks. Are they necessary? If, indeed, you consider that they are, might you consider fishing a little less effectively in order to inflict one less wound? (for it is a wound, like it or not) How about the number of trebles on a lure? Three trebles on a lure makes a reasonably enthusiastic strike almost impossible to miss. Would you be happy to see a two – or one – treble ruling imposed on lure manufacturers and anglers – even if it meant reducing the chance of a hook-up?

And what about live-baiting? The most enthusiastic and prolific live-baiter I ever knew was the late Martin Gay; he really made it an art form, experimenting with different hooking-points to see how the bait-fish might flutter more enticingly – and it paid dividends. Martin was extraordinarily successful with pike and this was clearly attributable to his use of thoughtfully (!) presented live fish.
Was the happiness and spiritual well-being of the sentient Human Being, Martin Gay, more important than that of a six-inch roach? Was the sum total of world happiness enhanced or reduced by this seemingly cruel act? Many would say ‘yes’ to both points! As it happened, Martin did a complete about-turn in the mid-90s and never live-baited again.

So…what would you ban / limit / discourage? What about the back-filling of lakes with boilies? If you would defend a carper’s right to use as much ‘ground-bait’ as he wishes, would you condemn the mass-baiting regimes recommended by sponsored carpers and their ilk? If so, why?

Nothing would stop me fishing other than a serious illness but I think it fair to question myself – and others – from time to time, if only to have some ready answers for those who would convert us to yoghurt-knitting.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
I have removed this article from the front pages. Those who read Forums will understand the sentiment behind the article but casual viewers may not.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have removed this article from the front pages. Those who read Forums will understand the sentiment behind the article but casual viewers may not.

I did worry a little and was going to contact you on this.

In reply however, I would say that, no, I wouldn't change any of the forms, baits or methods that I use in my fishing.

I am happy and confident that I minimise any stress to my quarry and in regards to live baiting, well, compared to the natural world how many prey fish are consumed on a daily basis compared to a handful of angler's baits in the same period?

I am happy to use a suitable and well-sited keep net in matches or pleasure sessions where they are allowed.

I always flatten the barbs on trebles, and in many cases I used to change the trailing treble with a large single hook.

As for (over)baiting my view is that it is pretty much counter productive in the vast majority of normal circumstances.

In summary then, no, I would not change anything about my fishing as I am confident that I minimise any problems to either the fish or the environment.

B

binka

I wouldn't really change much about my fishing.

I had someone take me to task whilst livebaiting for perch a few months ago.

After explaining to him that each perch caught would then go and sulk for an hour whereas they would have otherwise continued to feed normally and consume three more fish the end result was three live fish to the good, all happily still swimming around and that everyone should livebait in the name of conservation.

I don't think he was impressed :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's much like religion. I don't believe in any deity. I feel that religion, any religion, is a load of superstitious nonsense. I'm not overly concerned if people believe that to be offensive, it's not intended to be. However, I don't care a jot what others do, or think, with regard to religion. They are entirely free to make their own choices. However, I do my very best to avoid venues of formal religion and people that can't help but be evangelical.

Angling is little different. I will fish as I see fit, provided it's within the law. Beyond expecting others to also stay within the law, I will allow them every latitude to do as they see fit. Unsurprisingly, there are aspects of angling that I don't like much. However, I'm not interested in trying to stop anyone with a different view doing those things, it's absolutely none of my business how they reconcile their angling beliefs and practices. They certainly don't have to appease me. If I find something so utterly unacceptable as to cause me problems, I simply avoid the people and venues concerned. Most anglers don't subscribe to my particular angling ways or beliefs. I don't expect them to and won't try to make them.

Angling, and the world in general, would be a far better place if people stopped worrying about what other people do.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
I did worry a little and was going to contact you on this.

In reply however, I would say that, no, I wouldn't change any of the forms, baits or methods that I use in my fishing.

I am happy and confident that I minimise any stress to my quarry and in regards to live baiting, well, compared to the natural world how many prey fish are consumed on a daily basis compared to a handful of angler's baits in the same period?

I am happy to use a suitable and well-sited keep net in matches or pleasure sessions where they are allowed.

I always flatten the barbs on trebles, and in many cases I used to change the trailing treble with a large single hook.

As for (over)baiting my view is that it is pretty much counter productive in the vast majority of normal circumstances.

In summary then, no, I would not change anything about my fishing as I am confident that I minimise any problems to either the fish or the environment.

Thank you, Peter. Your personal angling philosophy concurs precisely with my own

rubio

Reaction score
I believe my methods and practices have changed over time and I am far more aware of fishcare than ever I was as a novice. It's wise practice to challenge one's own beliefs from time to time. I am content that how I fish currently is within what I deem acceptable. I welcome the observations of others to keep me aware of new thinking, and reminders of old thinking. Which generally end up as the same thing anyway.