Martin Salter: Autumn Gold

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
http://www.fishingmagic.com/news_events/news/18469-martin-salter-autumn-gold.html

files.php

2lb roach from the middle of London!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Nice article-Great to see a 2lb+ roach from the tidal Thames, that is truly a landmark; a 3lb one day, you never know, I grew up fishing some of this and it seems to have improved considerably.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
If Martins reading this or anyone else who tidal fish here is a thought. I recently came across one of those hunters seats, a long single stem, a spike at the base and with a nice leather seat, all hand stitched, 50p of all things.
I think they are pretty useless for fishing normally but they might just suit tidal fishing. Fairly light and not cumbersome to carry, folds in an instant when going down with the tide, something to just rest your legs now and then.

---------- Post added at 10:06 ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 ----------

My vote for fish of the year, seriously, considering where it was caught, in the middle of London on a grubby unattractive, unfashionable, unfancied tidal stretch, the difficulty of the terrain and change of method. This was no big private estate, an expensive stretch of the Avon and a true wild indigenous fish, 2lb roach are rare enough but in this place and these circumstances that is some magnificent fish and well caught.
If I was Martin who I believe has fished all round the world for all manner of giants this would be right at the top.

Last edited:

martinsalter

Reaction score
Mark. I think you may be right about the shooting stick. I didn't use a keepnet so could stand, or indeed sit at the waters edge. However, in a match you need to be in up to your knees if only to have the net in deep enough water. That's why I like the shooting stick / tripod combo - you could be on to a winner!
Regarding my roach. It's not as rare as you think down there. Check this out:Bigger Thames TideFest Championship in 2016 - The Angling Trust

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Mark. I think you may be right about the shooting stick. I didn't use a keepnet so could stand, or indeed sit at the waters edge. However, in a match you need to be in up to your knees if only to have the net in deep enough water. That's why I like the shooting stick / tripod combo - you could be on to a winner!
Regarding my roach. It's not as rare as you think down there. Check this out:Bigger Thames TideFest Championship in 2016 - The Angling Trust

Your right - reading this "One of the big surprises for me was the appearance of some serious roach on the downstream section at Barnes". Still a great fish though, taking everything into consideration including I fished those stretches for years as a kid and never saw anything like that. Promising, the old Thames, always had a soft spot for it.
Shooting Stick, couldn't think of the right name, could be useful in those circumstances, next time I fish a tidal stretch I will give mine a try.

john step

Reaction score
Nice article. A good read.
To my shame I never fished the tidal Thames proper always sticking to the half tidal above Richmond.
The biggest problem I found was getting the tides right and aligning them to when I could avoid sitting in traffic on the North Circular when getting there.

Good dace in those days though.

martinsalter

Reaction score
John. Best to pick a neap tide and time your arrival two hours after the high and fish it down to slack water. The PLA tide tables are your bible !