Martin Salter: Bass Battles.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
http://www.fishingmagic.com/news_events/18476-bass-battles.html

thumbnail.php

Time to get tough. Read the indefatigable Martin Salter's latest piece on the Battle for the Bass.

thecrow

Reaction score
A very interesting read Rob, I cant say it was enjoyable more worrying than anything but the evidence is clear the seas as yet another recourse that we have used up to a point where it will soon be extinct.

robtherake

Reaction score
It's not looking good for the human race, is it? But when 80% of the world's wealth is held by an individual family - enough to comfortably feed, clothe and settle every single human being on this planet (the same family who have funded both sides of every war since Napoleonic times) - it becomes obvious where the problems begin and end. World domination? Nah, it's just a conspiracy theory....isn't it?

---------- Post added at 20:22 ---------- Previous post was at 20:18 ----------

A very interesting read Rob, I cant say it was enjoyable more worrying than anything but the evidence is clear the seas as yet another recourse that we have used up to a point where it will soon be extinct.

It's easy to forget, what with modern high speed transport, that this is a water world, and that without healthy oceans the whole ecosphere falls to pieces. Most in the "developed" world won't notice until the very last TV broadcast goes off-air.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
The ignorance, selfishness and shortsightedness of the Human race is difficult to truly believe, isn't it? But it's true. Over-fishing, dynamite-fishing, beam-trawling, mile-long nets, factory-ships at sea for months on end...it can't go on can it? World over, we can visit every shop and supermarket and buy tuna steaks, tuna flakes, tinned tuna...surely it's going to run out by about next Tuesday. The bass would seem to be on a similar path unless we can change those influential minds in government and industry. I believe we need more of a Trump-style philosophy, one based less in the minutiae of how drastic measures might have a commercial knock-on effect, just a common sense decree that certain practices must stop - full stop. Yes, it's a sledge-hammer mentality but we need drastic answers to drastic problems and we hardly ever hear or see MPs putting their heads above the parapet...there's no fire in the Westminster Wimps...no real conviction or determination to crack-down where necessary because it might offend someone: why have the major trading nations not threatened sanctions against, say, Brazil who, we're told, says goodbye to a Wales-sized area of the Amazon Rain Forest every year? How many more years do we have? The world - no less - depends on the Amazon and other major jungles; the Amazon may be mostly Brazilian but we all need its continued existence so to permit its destruction is a Crime Against Humanity - is it not? We'll go to war over oil yet we allow the lungs of Planet Earth to be destroyed in the name of profit. Why is there not infra-red surveillance of the great game parks and a shoot-on-sight policy to combat elephant and rhino poaching? Why doesn't vehicle-theft attract an automatic 25 year jail sentence? The problem would cease overnight! Gun crime, knife crime, muggings, malicious computer-hacking, fly-tipping...we could stop it all in an instant if the punishment was right. But the powers-that-be clearly have no interest in a crime-free world because, I believe, there's simply just too much money to be made...the whole legal profession would be decimated and, with it, an entire layer of very well-heeled society. And we can't have that, can we?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
While I might agree with some of the highlighted problems I'm afraid Cliff that your overly simple solutions will never solve the myriad of highly complex problems, some of them inter-related, that you mention.

As for the wholly unrelated comments (to the problems of Bass fishing) on law and order, and your assertion that "there is to much money to be made" by having a fair and equitable legal system is rather nonsensical.

Ever since Manga Carta we have had the basic right a trial supported by legal defence. The various tariffs permissible by act of law in the UK have been thoroughly debated and are often reviewed as to suitability and applicability; to suggest that car theft should attract a mandatory 25 years tariff borders on the Cromwellian.

There are many very good reasons why we have the separation between the Executive and the judiciary Cliff, and one of them is to ensure that our basic rights are protected from many the actions of over-zealous Parliament, and long may that continue!

I do wonder though if you were ever falsely accused of a crime if you would rush to find a good lawyer or would try to defend yourself?

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
The ignorance, selfishness and shortsightedness of the Human race is difficult to truly believe, isn't it? But it's true. Over-fishing, dynamite-fishing, beam-trawling, mile-long nets, factory-ships at sea for months on end...it can't go on can it? World over, we can visit every shop and supermarket and buy tuna steaks, tuna flakes, tinned tuna...surely it's going to run out by about next Tuesday. The bass would seem to be on a similar path unless we can change those influential minds in government and industry. I believe we need more of a Trump-style philosophy, one based less in the minutiae of how drastic measures might have a commercial knock-on effect, just a common sense decree that certain practices must stop - full stop. Yes, it's a sledge-hammer mentality but we need drastic answers to drastic problems and we hardly ever hear or see MPs putting their heads above the parapet...there's no fire in the Westminster Wimps...no real conviction or determination to crack-down where necessary because it might offend someone: why have the major trading nations not threatened sanctions against, say, Brazil who, we're told, says goodbye to a Wales-sized area of the Amazon Rain Forest every year? How many more years do we have? The world - no less - depends on the Amazon and other major jungles; the Amazon may be mostly Brazilian but we all need its continued existence so to permit its destruction is a Crime Against Humanity - is it not? We'll go to war over oil yet we allow the lungs of Planet Earth to be destroyed in the name of profit. Why is there not infra-red surveillance of the great game parks and a shoot-on-sight policy to combat elephant and rhino poaching? Why doesn't vehicle-theft attract an automatic 25 year jail sentence? The problem would cease overnight! Gun crime, knife crime, muggings, malicious computer-hacking, fly-tipping...we could stop it all in an instant if the punishment was right. But the powers-that-be clearly have no interest in a crime-free world because, I believe, there's simply just too much money to be made...the whole legal profession would be decimated and, with it, an entire layer of very well-heeled society. And we can't have that, can we?

I hope this link works because although it pertains to the USA it could easily be applied to the UK. WARNING THIS CONTAINS PROFANITY

https://www.facebook.com/TruthInsideOfYou/videos/1134702833262383/

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
This maybe is sufficient proof as to why Mr Carlin's so-called comedy sketch was central to the 1978 Supreme Court case in which a 5–4 decision affirmed the government's power to regulate indecent material on the public airways . . . . .

My Carlin passed away back in 2008 but it is worth noting that while he rallied loudly against the "establishment" it never stopped him buying a jet plane (as a tax haven) and employing pilots (more tax relief) to fly him around to his gigs. . . So, as the French would say

Le pot qui appelle la bouilloire noir . . . . .

That said, this thread is in great danger of veering too close towards the political mosh pit . . . . . . .

Last edited:

martinsalter

Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder whether the comments section of FM is actually part of a parallel universe! Anyone got anything to say about bass conservation? :)

robertroach

Reaction score
I totally support a ban on gill netting of bass. Something not mentioned much is the process of gill netting a bass which causes death by slow suffering, so there's a "humanitarian" aspect to it as well, if you believe that fish can feel pain or stress.

I suppose the truth is that most members on this forum are mainly concerned with their own coarse fishing world, so unfortunately,bass fishing or conservation is not on their radar and I'm not saying that to denigrate anyone.
If there was ruthless commercial fishing of carp by gill netting there would be half a million anglers ready to storm the battlements.

If there was a way to mobilise sea anglers and politicians to conserve these fish
I would probably like to join in and maybe spend some time on it myself as a volunteer.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The last time I fished for Bass was on a family holiday in Cornwall when my eldest son was 5 years of age.
Last month he celebrated his 43rd birthday . . . . . . .

Notwithstanding I still signed the online petition, which is not something I do with any regularity to be honest, and only because it is the right thing to do if you care about the survival of the Bass in our inshore waters.

Having read the proposals before the Minister I actually don't think they go far enough as only a complete moratorium on all bass fishing for at lest 5 years would really do any good. Then, and only then to allow a measured and policed amount of fishing to recommence.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder whether the comments section of FM is actually part of a parallel universe! Anyone got anything to say about bass conservation? :)
The fact is Martin, demand for fish has out grown their ability to reproduce themselves with the rise in the population. This is not going to change, cod yesterday, bass today, haddock today, mackerel tomorrow, cod again in 10 years time and so on. Its probably going to be a never-ending battle. Not to diminish all your efforts but time everyone trying to do something about it got serious with marine no catch zones. Government etc seems to have largely ignored this option which I am sure would make a big difference, not just Bass but just about everything else in the sea.
Fish farming holds some relief possible for some species, although it has its own problems I think the development of this industry will help, along with no catch zones I hold more optimism for the future with these than I do the continued never-ending restrictions initiatives which so far have only worked with limited success. Why are we still facing dangerous levels of stocks for so many species? I wish you would put a lot more effort into this concept, I think the world in general is beginning to see this, the Ross sea zone for example, I am sure this is the way for the future. I know it has difficulties, Peter pointed out some to me but none are impossible to overcome with the right will and good negotiations.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
To include angling as well? If bass anglers are so worried about stocks and I think they should be then they shouldn't mind not fishing for them but how they could avoid them I don't know.

Yes, indeed.

To paraphrase a much over-used sound-bite these days:

Moratorium means moratorium . . . . . . . .

I see no good reason to allow recreational fishing if commercial fishing is to be halted, and it shows our full commitment to the problem, surely?

We had a 10 years moratorium on cod fishing over in Canada which applied to all but first nationals and it worked perfectly well.

robtherake

Reaction score

I think the deeper issues have a great bearing on all sea life, not just that of the bass. Personally, given that the incessant rape and pollution of the seas is threatening all life, I'd like to see a complete cessation of commercial sea fishing for a decade or more, replaced by farmed fish, to give the seas and their inhabitants a decent stab at recovery. People may balk at the limitations imposed by such a severe measure, but in my mind it's the only way. If they want sea fish on the table they can always angle for them. And yes, I realise it's all pie in the sky, but in the end the truism that you can't eat money ought to be the driving force for the continued future of the human race, and bu99er the financial considerations. It needs to be put right or it's all over.

martinsalter

Reaction score
Well at least you lot are back talking about bass rather than Cliff's bizarre love in with Donald Bl**dy Trump! We've now hit our 10,000 target for the petition which forces a formal response out of ministers and cranks up the pressure so thanks to all who have signed or emailed their MPs. Thursday's fisheries debate in the Commons was also good for us with several MPs supporting our stance on bass and only one opposing. Regarding the continuation of recreational angling the Commission estimate that stocks can be rebuilt as long as a close season is in place and that fishing effort is confined to angling with strict bag limits and hook and line commercial fishing with boat limits. If they want to go further and implement a total moratorium on bass harvesting rec fishing would continue on a solely catch and release basis. This is how many anglers already fish for bass but we are never going to accept a situation where it is only anglers that are prohibited from taking home a sustainably caught fish while others can profit from commercial catching.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Well at least you lot are back talking about bass rather than Cliff's bizarre love in with Donald Bl**dy Trump!

Hang on there Martin, Cliff might have a point-if we appointed a General "Mad Bonkers Dog" Travis as our Minister of Fisheries, would that sort it out. Factory ship gets nuked in the north sea....Execution squads roaming the beach checking anglers catches...:)

Good sign up on the Bass, lets hope it does the trick.

Last edited: