SUBMISSION TO GOVERNMENT: SUSTAINABLE FISHING FOR SEA BASS - Rod Sturdy.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
http://www.fishingmagic.com/news_ev...tainable-fishing-for-sea-bass-rod-sturdy.html

thumbnail.php

Let's give the bass and this campaign the support they deserve. Sign the petition and make your feelings known to the Prime Minister and the Fisheries Minister, George Eustace MP with a brief - or not so brief - explanation of why you feel so strongly about conserving this superb sporting species. - Ed.

Rod Sturdy writes:

As most of you will already be aware, the Angling Trust and its conservationist partners are currently running a campaign to save the bass (sea bass), stocks of which have dwindled to crisis levels as a result of commercial overfishing and the use of gill nets.

You can read in what follows my personal submission to George Eustace, the Fisheries Minister, and to the PM and to my own MP. I urge you to write your own version of the case for hook and line fishing only being permitted in fishing for sea bass. It matters little how confident you are about doing this, the important thing is that you show the government how passionately you feel about the subject, and that politicians are thereby made aware of how many people out there, anglers and others, really care.

Hopefully my contribution below will give you some ideas. Please note that the deadline for this is 12 December. You can easily e-mail your version to the Fisheries Minister and others.

I hope you will appreciate that this campaign is important for all anglers, not just bass-heads. It is an opportunity to demonstrate angler power, to show that we anglers are unified and are looking for change. It matters not at all whether or not you personally fish for bass (I do not, as it happens). What matters is that we present a united front. Because, make no mistake, an issue will come up sooner or later which does affect you personally.
You can also show your support on this issue by signing the petition here: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/172441

George Eustace MP
Cc: Rt Hon Theresa May MP, Chris Philp MP
Subject: sustainable fishing for sea bass

The EU Fishing Opportunities meeting takes place on 12 December 2016. This will be a crucial day in the history of the sea bass in European waters, stocks of which have now fallen to a critical level as a result of commercial overfishing and the use of deadly gill nets.
I urge you, the Minister, to agree in full to the proposals put forward by the EU Commission, namely:
(a) Hook and line fishing only, to be allowed 10 months of the year, with a closed season in February and March to allow undisturbed spawning
(b) Recreational anglers to be permitted to remove 10 fish each per month (currently 1 fish per individual for 6 months of the year).
The use of fixed and gill nets in commercial fishing has led to a significant decline, if not collapse, in bass stocks. In 2014, UK gill netters landed 646 tonnes of bass, which represents more than the advised catch given by the International Council for the Exploration of the Seas (ICES) of 541 tonnes for the whole of the EU. The general message from ICES has been that drastic cuts in bass catches are needed; this has unfortunately been largely ignored. In 2015 the UK Fisheries Minister gave in to pressures from commercial fishing interests, to the dismay and anger of angling and conservation organisations.

Gill netting is not selective in terms of size of fish caught: immature fish which have not yet reached spawning maturity are caught alongside bigger fish. Gill netting also causes considerable damage to other sea creatures, notably diving sea birds and dolphins, which get caught up in nets. A ban on gill netting forms part of the EU proposals, and I urge the UK Fisheries Minister to sign up to this.
The UK recreational fishing charter industry has lost out significantly through cancellations this year. This is due to an unreasonable 1-bass-per-day bag limit on recreational sea anglers. Also, there has been a severe impact on local businesses (tackle, accommodation and hospitality). It should be noted here that recreational sea fishing in the UK is worth more to the UK economy than commercial fishing, in terms of employment and economic activity.
Since the 1980’s commercial interest in bass has steadily increased, and consistent over-fishing has brought stocks of this iconic species to near-collapse. The minimum takeable size was not increased to 42 cm until 2015, and even this represents the very minimum size at which the species is able to reproduce. 2016 marks an all-time low for numbers of spawning stock.
I urge you to agree in full to the EU Fishing Opportunities proposals. Such agreement would help to reverse the trend for bass stocks by allowing only sustainable fishing. Commercial hook and line fishing – as opposed to netting - together with a viable recreational fishing sector would add up to the preservation of this species and also produce a better overall economic return.
The recreational striped bass fishery in the USA is worth $6.5 m per annum and supports over 63,000 jobs. Furthermore, it attracts angling tourism from all over the world. Clearly, with the EU reforms in place, the UK could benefit from this market, and it would of course contribute significantly to the economic regeneration of depressed coastal areas.

Yours sincerely

RJ Sturdy
Ps: my credentials: I am a lifelong angler, member of and Ambassador for the Angling Trust, and have the economic wellbeing of the UK at heart.

Rod Sturdy.

martinsalter

Reaction score
Who polices the commercial inshore fleet at the moment or the 30kgs buyers and sellers exemption that is so widely flouted or the illegal netting in bass nursery areas ? Yes the IFCAs do not have anything like the enforcement resources they need but since the far larger commercial catching sector is allowed to basically self regulate why should not the same respect be afforded to anglers whose impact is much less?

thecrow

Reaction score
Who polices the commercial inshore fleet at the moment or the 30kgs buyers and sellers exemption that is so widely flouted or the illegal netting in bass nursery areas ? Yes the IFCAs do not have anything like the enforcement resources they need but since the far larger commercial catching sector is allowed to basically self regulate why should not the same respect be afforded to anglers whose impact is much less?

Thank you for your answer that is essentially a none answer, I will ask again in the vain hope that Mr Sturdy who is an ambassador for the organisation you represent "who will police the 10 per month per angler limit"

I think both you and Mr Sturdy know who will be policing any agreements from the 12th its hardly no one for the commercial netters and no one at all for the angler. none of them are capable of self policing or stocks wouldn't be in the state they are now would they?

Truth is that money and greed will always win and I cant help feeling that whatever comes from the 12th of December it wont be enough and stocks will continue to decline until there is much wailing about "not having a living" from those who have caused it. It will be a pity that those gutless MPs who will be part of it wont be suffering as well.

Off thread I know but could you just explain please how an ambassador can be an ambassador when he refuses to engage in debate with those he is trying to persuade to do things the right way as he or an organisation he represents sees things.

martinsalter

Reaction score
Nice to see a Rod being 'allowed' back on here with another well argued, thoughtful yet 'political' post ! Anyway here's a useful contribution to the enforcement of the proposed new monthly bag limit.
EAA - Bass - open letter to EU and ministers by EAA and EFTTA
We don't require our volunteer ambassadors to engage with online forums - that's up to them. I will on occasion but then I'm paid (two days a week) so that's a different thing altogether.
I'm a reasonably prolific writer on angling matters but just as I don't expect every reader to comment on my work neither can every commentator expect every writer to respond to every comment!

thecrow

Reaction score
Nice to see a Rod being 'allowed' back on here with another well argued, thoughtful yet 'political' post ! Anyway here's a useful contribution to the enforcement of the proposed new monthly bag limit.
EAA - Bass - open letter to EU and ministers by EAA and EFTTA
We don't require our volunteer ambassadors to engage with online forums - that's up to them. I will on occasion but then I'm paid (two days a week) so that's a different thing altogether.
I'm a reasonably prolific writer on angling matters but just as I don't expect every reader to comment on my work neither can every commentator expect every writer to respond to every comment!

As expected another none answer.

Mr Sturdy is quick enough to use this medium to preach the gospel according to him but not to engage with those of us he preaches to with the aim of converting us.

"Being allowed beck on here" I assume you mean since the removal of his political article that contravened the T&Cs of this site being removed after members voted for it to be removed only to see it reappear? only goes to show that the members are not that important to FM in the grand scheme of things.

All this about bass stocks will come to nothing stocks will continue to fall, anglers will continue to take undersized fish as well as mature fish with no one to stop them, commercial netsmen will continue doing whatever they want as they always have until there are next to no bass to argue over and all this will continue because there will be little policing of it all so make as many laws and agreements as they want until they are prepared to back it up with resources (money) to police them nothing will change so I ask again who will do the policing of Mr study's recommended quota?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I do not understand any of this, great for all the bureaucrats, not going to save many Bass. A touch of Nero playing his fiddle. Now, do I decide on a daily limit or a monthly limit, god knows, which app or online do I use, I am going to need help on that.
I think I will just carry on putting all my bass back in the sea when I catch them..

EAA, EFTAA, FNPPSF, Council, Commission,
fisheries ministers and ministries in
France, United Kingdom, Netherlands, Belgium and Ireland, ICES report, Technical Measures Regulation:
Article 14 - Completion and submission of the fishing logbook
Exemption: “only catches > 50kg/species”.
Article 16 - Fishing vessels not subject to fishing logbook requirements
Article 21 - Completion and submission of the transhipment declaration
Exemption: “only catches > 50kg/species”Article 25 - Vessels not subject to landing declaration requirementsArticle 56 - Principles for the control of marketing
Exemption: “own consumption < 30 kg”Article 59 - First sale of fisheries products
Exemption: “own consumption < 30 kg”Article 65 - Exemptions from sales notes requirements
Exemption: “own consumption < 30 kg + the 50 kg rule”

None of this is going to work, I despair of it all. losing faith, just got to change tack.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
Its waffle waffle waffle Mark with no straight answers or solutions of which there is only one, stop fishing for bass completely, if one is caught accidently it must go back but as I have asked and asked who will police it, those that advocate trust as a policing method are either very naïve or just plain stupid.

All the waffle and complex rules and unpoliced laws do one thing and that's keep the bureaucrats in a job, they don't solve it because to do so would make them and their paper shuffling redundant. Its akin to charities keep asking for money year after year, if what they were doing solved the problem that they tell you the money is for, they would be out of work and so the problem continues as does the asking. This is just the same.

The reason Mr Sturdy refuses to debate and why its impossible to get a straight answer from an ex MP is simple they don't have any answers to give and they know it, nothing will change and the wafflers will carry on while the nets catch less because of dwindling stocks and recreational anglers will carry on taking however many fish they want until they are all gone and then the hand wringing and blame shifting will start along with more useless paper shuffling. It sickens me to my stomach.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Its waffle waffle waffle Mark with no straight answers or solutions of which there is only one, stop fishing for bass completely, if one is caught accidently it must go back but as I have asked and asked who will police it, those that advocate trust as a policing method are either very naïve or just plain stupid.

All the waffle and complex rules and unpoliced laws do one thing and that's keep the bureaucrats in a job, they don't solve it because to do so would make them and their paper shuffling redundant. Its akin to charities keep asking for money year after year, if what they were doing solved the problem that they tell you the money is for, they would be out of work and so the problem continues as does the asking. This is just the same.

The reason Mr Sturdy refuses to debate and why its impossible to get a straight answer from an ex MP is simple they don't have any answers to give and they know it, nothing will change and the wafflers will carry on while the nets catch less because of dwindling stocks and recreational anglers will carry on taking however many fish they want until they are all gone and then the hand wringing and blame shifting will start along with more useless paper shuffling. It sickens me to my stomach.

And me, getting that way Crow, no; I am there, its all getting pathetic, you read that letter and you can see its all going into the realms of incredulity. Just cannot see any light at the end of the tunnel. they will be doing all this in 50 years time, same as where we are now from 50 years ago. All looks good on paper except those that come up with this stuff have probably never been on a boat or fish. Our own fisheries Minister comes from a fruit farming back ground, just beats me, how do they end up in charge of fisheries? Must have attended a university in waffle. It all looks so great on paper if you can understand it! In practice, a waste of time. Mr Sturdy wont answer anything , that's up to him but he's losing credibility and the trust along with it, Martin should understand that at least. I could go on and write more about how I think the future could go but they are all on the one leaky boat but as they don't know what a boat is they wont get off. I have had a go and that's all I can do. Still, you have taken this one on board Crow, as I think your mainly a coarse angler, good on you. I am done with it basically, Pissing in the wind buddy.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
Mark I did used to sea fish from the beach when I lived in Chapel St Leonards, had some decent fish which all went back my biggest bass was around 7lbs and I got some strange looks when that went back as did a cod of around the same size.

Used to see lots of anglers both holiday makers and regular beach anglers taking so many small bass of around 8 inches home, never saw the point myself couldn't have been much on them but hundreds were taken over a period of weeks every year and that happened on numerous beaches around Chapel not just one. Who was policing them?

robertroach

Reaction score
Crow I agree, no-one is going to police recreational angling catches and we don't want to pay for armies of jobsworths to do it, but most charter boat skippers would I am sure respect the rules. I guess there are fisheries inspectors checking commercial landings at the main ports but the illegal gill netters in small boats can come and go un-noticed and maybe that's the biggest problem.

But you paint a very bleak picture - what would you suggest we do to conserve the species?

On a positive note, there is now a new culture of shore fishing for bass, (mainly lures) in which catch and release is practised by many anglers.

thecrow

Reaction score
Crow I agree, no-one is going to police recreational angling catches and we don't want to pay for armies of jobsworths to do it, but most charter boat skippers would I am sure respect the rules. I guess there are fisheries inspectors checking commercial landings at the main ports but the illegal gill netters in small boats can come and go un-noticed and maybe that's the biggest problem.

But you paint a very bleak picture - what would you suggest we do to conserve the species?

On a positive note, there is now a new culture of shore fishing for bass, (mainly lures) in which catch and release is practised by many anglers.

The ideas put forward to control recreational anglers catches, log books, tags a0 fish per angler per month are imo just plain silly, a lot of recreational anglers cant be bothered to take litter such as discarded line home so how on earth can they be trusted to keep to a catch figure? I know its not all anglers it may even be the minority but human nature being what it is once they see another angler taking more than their quota some will do the same and the system will collapse.

Charter boats are just as difficult to police as the beach anglers and the reason for that is obvious - there is no one to do it effectively, the boat owners that rely on anglers that take their catch home are imo not about to start telling those customers what they can and cant take home or those customers will soon move to another boat.

The picture I paint is a bleak one because that's the reality of the situation its bleak and imo the only way that bass stocks will recover (remember they are a very slow growing species) is to ban the landing of bass altogether for a number of years, not feasible ? if something just as drastic isn't done we are in danger of loosing bass almost completely, believe me a number of waffling paper shufflers are not going to solve this they are dancing to the tunes of to many masters, wait and see what comes on the 12th Dec is all we can do.

I don't know how long anglers have been practicing catch and release with bass but I do know that in 2012 they took between 230 and 440 tonnes, that doesn't sound like catch and release to me, i applaud those that do practice it but I am afraid that there are still to many that don't.

Maybe its time they paid for their fishing with a rod licence and perhaps day tickets on some beaches in order that paid bailiffs could be employed to keep a check on goings on ;)