Chance for voluntary approach as mandatory catch and release for salmon in Wales is p

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Angling Trust welcomes the news that the implementation of new bylaws being proposed in Wales for mandatory catch and release for all salmon has been postponed for the coming season to allow time for a full consultation.

More...

thecrow

Reaction score
I don't understand why an organisation that says it protects fish would be glad that the introduction of bylaws protecting fish has been delayed?

slaphead

Reaction score
They also represent those anglers fishing for them, so have to try to be fair to both.

thecrow

Reaction score
But its not to stop anglers fishing for Salmon just from taking them, if a fish is healthy I believe it should go back but I suppose old habits are hard to break.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you can't take home your catch why does the EA charge so much for a game license?

psmith

Reaction score
But its not to stop anglers fishing for Salmon just from taking them, if a fish is healthy I believe it should go back but I suppose old habits are hard to break.

There are a number of issues, really. Firstly the number of bodies with an interest in bossing anglers about, exploiting their organisational weaknesses.

Regarding killing salmon there are two main factors to consider:

1. The tradition in places like rural Wales of fishing for the pot. The purchase of fishing rights is expensive, and, where there is a tradition of catching fish to eat, fisherman may vote with their feet, opening the way for canoes and the miraculous appearance of barbel.

2. Fresh run salmon according to current lore do not have a great chance of surviving the battle against treble hooks and the difficulty netting. It has been said that a careful gaff would be kinder. As the fish weather into kippers they become tougher, but a bar of silver can be delicate.

I spoke to a distraught chap one spring eve who had returned his first only to watch it go belly up. I pronounced salmon fishing as morally indefensible, even though I do it myself, this made him feel worse of course, making a pleasant end to my evening.

thecrow

Reaction score
There are a number of issues, really. Firstly the number of bodies with an interest in bossing anglers about, exploiting their organisational weaknesses.

Regarding killing salmon there are two main factors to consider:

1. The tradition in places like rural Wales of fishing for the pot. The purchase of fishing rights is expensive, and, where there is a tradition of catching fish to eat, fisherman may vote with their feet, opening the way for canoes and the miraculous appearance of barbel.

2. Fresh run salmon according to current lore do not have a great chance of surviving the battle against treble hooks and the difficulty netting. It has been said that a careful gaff would be kinder. As the fish weather into kippers they become tougher, but a bar of silver can be delicate.

I spoke to a distraught chap one spring eve who had returned his first only to watch it go belly up. I pronounced salmon fishing as morally indefensible, even though I do it myself, this made him feel worse of course, making a pleasant end to my evening.

Anglers organisational weakness is down to several factors the largest imo being the inability of the Angling Trust to connect with anglers and being happy to take money from the EA while the EA fail in their statutory duty to maintain and improve fisheries. The Trust is imo nothing more than a PR releasing jobs for the boys organisation who have interfered to such an extent that single rod users are now having to pay for those that fish with more.

I have no time for tradition, there was a tradition of sending kids up chimney's but this is a much changed world since traditions became a way of life. there is a tradition of fishing for the pot in many Eastern European countries that is being carried on in this country and a very damaging tradition it is, should that be allowed for EEs only because its a tradition of theirs?

I have no idea what "current lore" is could it be something that someone told someone else who then told someone else? do all salmon anglers use trebles? do they need to or is that another tradition? pike anglers have moved on from them and discovered that singles are just as if not more effective, modern landing nets are very fish friendly and I cannot imagine any harm coming to any fish that has been netted using one.

Maybe if the chap you spoke to who's fish has gone belly up had not played the fish to a standstill and had taken the time to recover the fish it would not have gone belly up. Barbel fight to the end of their strength if allowed to do so, fortunately most barbel anglers don't allow them to fight until they are totally exhausted. All about caring for your quarry really.

psmith

Reaction score
You might have no time for tradition but if three quarters of the 200 members you need leave your club you might find some modicum of time n'est pas?

Current lore is a learned and knowledgeable source that I have no wish to name.

Pike are not salmon and yes trebles are being eased out of use slowly.

Not practical to use a pike net in the salmon swims, you need it on the back too, to cover the ground and then, of course, getting a salmon in the net in a roaring current on a 15 foot rod is not easy.

I was talking salmon so will leave the barbel aside, other than my earlier rather facile acknowledgement of the vast amount of propagation of that species, and one not impartial to salmon eggs.

thecrow

Reaction score
You might have no time for tradition but if three quarters of the 200 members you need leave your club you might find some modicum of time n'est pas?

Current lore is a learned and knowledgeable source that I have no wish to name.

Pike are not salmon and yes trebles are being eased out of use slowly.

Not practical to use a pike net in the salmon swims, you need it on the back too, to cover the ground and then, of course, getting a salmon in the net in a roaring current on a 15 foot rod is not easy.

I was talking salmon so will leave the barbel aside, other than my earlier rather facile acknowledgement of the vast amount of propagation of that species, and one not impartial to salmon eggs.

I cant see anyone in any club I belong to leaving because they cant kill fish.

Current lore is that the same as folk lore? Facts are what any decisions are or should be based on not some idea passed from one to another for I don't know how long.

No pike are not salmon but they are every bit as vulnerable as you say salmon are, should anglers start to kill them because of that or should they carry on treating them with respect as most do now? Not practical to use a pike net, strange then that lure anglers seem to manage very well with them while moving or wading.

You leave barbel aside? is that because you haven't an answer to the point I put about the salmon turning belly up? or you don't agree that playing a fish to a standstill is a bad thing?

Please don't use phrases such as the one at the end of the first point in order to try to humiliate me because it wont my feathers are tougher than that but it does show what sort you are doesn't it?

psmith

Reaction score
Fish welfare is paramount, hence the move to single hooks.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
Your bit about barbel shows you in your true colours, I will allow this to die now as I don't want to get involved with someone that has those views on barbel to that end I will place you on my ignore list.

Last edited:

psmith

Reaction score
Your bit about barbel shows you in your true colours, I will allow this to die now as I don't want to get involved with someone that has those views on barbel to that end I will place you on my ignore list.

Other than the miraculous propagation I wasn't aware I'd expressed a view on barbel? other than an aside that they are fond of fish eggs, as are grayling of course.:confused: