River Trent - Devil's Elbow

JackGE

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been recommended to fish at Devil's elbow on the river Trent, Nottingham. I was just curious as to whether anyone has had some experience here. I also can't find whether it is owned by an angling society and if I have to pay. Supposedly it's free to fish!

Any information would be great :)

Last edited:

JackGE

Reaction score
If you google "Devils' elbow rowing club" it should show you on google maps where it is. It is where the canal joins the river past the Attenborough reserve. Do you know of any other good free areas for pike and perch on the Trent?

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
The Devils Elbow is actually on Newark Dyke (which runs into the Trent) and I think is on Newark Piscatorials books. Check with them but may well be on a day ticket.

JackGE

Reaction score
Yeah, I think that's the one. I will give them a call because supposedly just down from the pegs it is free to fish. Thanks for the info! Do you know of anywhere good for perch and pike?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Do you know of anywhere good for perch and pike?

Just about anywhere on the Trent holds decent pike and perch. Naturally, some bits will be better than others, but it's unlikely that anyone will give you details of their favourite spots. Find the prey and you'll find the predators not far behind.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
If you are after pike/perch just check with N.Piscatorials as I have a vague recollection that lure fishing isn't allowed on that stretch. Interestingly the road bridge that goes over the elbow is marked 'River Trent - I suppose anything by the side of the road marked Newark Dyke' might give way the visions of a lady of ill repute. Reminds me of a certain 'Yeovil Lil' who plied her trade on the truck drivers around Somerset many years ago.....:wh

JackGE

Reaction score
Yeah, when I fish the embankment I look for surface activity and fry along the side. Caught a perch about 2lb there not long ago, biggest perch I've had. Haven't had any pike yet though. They didn't seem to be biting all that much which is why I'd like to try somewhere else like Devil's elbow. I'll have to look into whether you can use lures there or not.

nottskev

Reaction score
It would involve buying a Pride of Derby book, but you'd find abundant pike on their stretches of the Trent around Sawley. I've fished there a couple of dozen times this season, and the biggest obstacle to roach fishing - and there are plenty of roach there - is the attention of pike, from jacks to big double figure fish. I've had two pike worrying the keepnet at the start of a session when there's only one roach in it, and had huge pike take 1lb+ bream at the net. It's a popular stretch for zander angler's too. You can park behind your peg below Sawley bridge, and the same on the Pride lakes complex.