Short Whip Fishing by Peter Jacobs

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Peter Jacobs with an in-depth look at short whip fishing. “Far from being a brainless method, fishing a short whip can be an exciting, fruitful and rewarding experience,” says Peter’,’Rigs made up ready for whip fishing are a must!’

Short whip fishing was once described by a well known match angler as, “fishing with your brain taken out!” and for many years I too subscribed to that particular theory.

Then as an aspiring match angler I was quite amazed to see the dexterity, experience and rhythm that were required in order to master this unique and rewarding method.

Far from being a brainless method or indeed one for match anglers alone, fishing a short whip can be an exciting, fruitful and rewarding experience.

In both Europe and Scandinavia the short whip is widely used on both rivers and lakes in matches and pleasure sessions alike.

I was therefore a little surprised on returning to the UK after many years in Scandinavia to find that the short whip rarely featured in matches over here. Maybe this has something to do with the rise of commercial fisheries, but then again it is still an excellent river method, so I am unsure of any particular reason why this should be so.

Not Just a Match Method
When teaching youngsters to fish (regardless of age) I will invariably utilize this method if for no other reason than to get them catching fish as there is nothing more off-putting for kids than hours of boredom interspersed with a few moments of thrilling interlude.

Given that there is no reel to contend with, no casting per se, and typically being as close to an instant method as is possible, then I believe that there is no better method with which to begin a young angler’s career.

Beginner’s only?
This is not to say that it is only a beginner’s method. In the years when I targeted carp from all over the UK (now that is an admission that I rarely make in public) I would always have a small selection of whips in my holdall for those long hours between runs. Many of the lakes I fished were well stocked with both roach and rudd, and during the middle of the day I would happily target these obliging fish often catching upwards of a hundred fish in very short periods.

Match Method
As a match angler it was a method I often employed to boost what would otherwise have been a mid-section weight into a framing weight and I found that by regularly feeding the short whip line you could keep fish in that area for hours at a time.

pjwhips.jpg\

Ready made rigs are a must

I weight my rigs so that the bulk will take the float down to the beginning of the tip and the dropper will sink the tip to about half its\’ length. As you will invariably get the fish feeding higher and higher in the water by constant feeding the dropper shot gives an excellent indication of on the drop bites. Sometimes it is simply a case of cast, count to five slowly, strike and swing in the fish with little or no indication on the float at all.

Feeding
In keeping with many other styles the key to success is in the feeding. To start with be wary with both quantity and quality of the feed that is going in as you can easily feed-off even a shoal of small fish. Although once the fish are feeding confidently then an acorn-size nugget every drop in is actually enough but keep it going in every cast.

I prefer to use this little and often approach and my usual feed is quite a wet mix of either Sensas Surface or Sensas 3000 Ablettes. To the mix I will add a small quantity of pinkies rather than maggot but I will usually fish a big maggot on the hook. The reasons for this are two fold, firstly I can catch quite a few fish in the same maggot by making sure that it is threaded up the hook shank worm fishing style, and the second is that I want a slightly larger hookbait than feed bait as an attractant.

Feeding and Fishing Patterns
My experiences from match fishing taught me that you can very quickly exhaust even a relatively large shoal of small fish by continuing to fish and feed on the same line and I soon learned that by fishing alternately at the 10 o-clock, 12 o-clock and 2 o-clock positions and only taking 2 or 3 fish from each area you can make the line work for much longer.

It can also pay great dividends to have a spare whip set up at 1 to 11/2 meters longer than that which you are using. Every now and then give this longer whip a try and you might be surprised at the size of the bonus fish that were sitting just outside your line of feed cautiously looking on.

Rhythm Not Speed
I have noticed that short whip fishing has been referred to as \’speed fishing\’ in some articles in the angling press.

Philip

Reaction score
I only just got round to reading this article - excellent stuff Peter ...you have cleary been there and done that !

I especially liked to point about it probably being the best method to starts kids off on, given there is no reel involved. I never really considered that and yes I think your right. I will bear it in mind next time the occasion arises.

I would have liked to hear a bit more about your thoughts on line attachment to the whip, pros and cons and what your preferred method is, other than that cant fault it.

Nice one.

thecrow

Reaction score
As an angler that has never used or seen a whip in use apart from a mate having one with line just tied to the end and a small waggler as a float I have no idea about the ins and outs of them it would be interesting for me and maybe others if the basics of starting to fish with one were explained, it could be that I never use one but knowing how to would be handy just in case.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Philip, there are two main methods of attachment of a rih to the flick yip of the whip.

The first is by means of a loop tied in the end of the rig which attaches to a Stonflo type device that is usually super-glued to the tip.

The secnd type I a little more difficult to explain . . . .

You attach a small piece of silicon tubing to the flick tip a couple of inches below the tip. On the rig you tie a loop having first slid on another piece of tubing, an inch or two long.

You turn the loop back on itself making a slip know and tie this to the tubing on the whip. The you slide the tubing on the rig over the end of the flick tip, and hey presto the rig is secured to the whip.

personally I have Stonflo's on all of my whips as I find the other method far too fiddly . . . . .

Hope this helps.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Peter I use both methods of attatchment that you describe, but I use a small
blob of araldite to glue the stonfo on, I found that after a while when I used superglue,the stonfo was working loose due to it not being waterproof,
With the line/loop method, I tie another loop on top of the first then cut second loop so you have two tag ends, attach as you described, to undo just pull on the tags and the loop will lift making it easier to take off the whip,

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Mark, when I started out I used that two loop method but to be honest never really found it much of an advantage.
I see the mechanics and the logic though, so if it works for you then all well and good.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Peter, I use it mainly on my long pole that has dacron connectors fitted to the elastic, I find I can remove my pole rigs easier from the dacron using the loop and snip loop method due to the line digging into the dacron,
I still use both methods on my whips,
I have managed to get hold of a daiwa system whip, this has hollow no 1 for elastics upto number 8 and the whip section is a properly spliced in flick tip, not a single tapered piece of carbon as per normal whip,