David Attenborough says world must act now on plastic after witnessing its impacts fi

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
From The Independent.

The scourge of plastic pollution in the world’s oceans must be tackled, Sir David Attenborough said as he launched the second series of Blue Planet II.

More than eight million tonnes of plastic reaches the sea every year. There will be more plastic than fish in the sea by 2050, and 99 per cent of the planet’s seabirds will have eaten some.

Humans are already eating plastic from the sea too. The average person who eats seafood swallows up to 11,000 pieces of microplastic every year, according to a study by researchers at the University of Ghent. As Prince Charles put it at a recent Our Ocean summit, “plastic is very much on the menu”.

The BBC has sold the seven-episode Blue Planet II to more than 30 countries. Sir David said he hoped that the programme, which first airs in the UK on 29 October, would help every viewer to realise “that we have a responsibility” to take plastic off the menu.
“There are so many sequences that every single one of us have been involved in, even in the most peripheral way, where we have seen tragedies happen because of the plastic in the ocean,” he said.

“We’ve seen albatrosses come back with their belly full of food for their young and nothing in it. The albatross parent has been away for three weeks gathering stuff for her young and what comes out?”

“What does she give her chick? You think it’s going to be squid, but it’s plastic. The chick is going to starve and die.”

“We may think we live a long way from the oceans but we don’t. What we actually do here … has a direct effect on the oceans and what the oceans do then reflects back on us.

“It is one world. And it’s in our care. For the first time in the history of humanity, for the first time in 500 million years, one species has the future in the palm of its hands. I just hope he realises that that is the case.”

Almost 80 per cent of the 8.3 billion metric tonnes of plastic produced over the past 70 years has been discarded into landfill or the environment, including the ocean.

The plastic thrown away since the 1950s will eventually form a layer sedimentary rock detectable by future generations.

Tap-water samples from more than a dozen nations were recently analysed for an investigation by Orb Media. Plastic fibres were found in more than 83 per cent of the samples, meaning billions of people are drinking water contaminated with plastic particles.

It is not yet known how the human body processes plastic after it is swallowed, including whether chemicals leach out of the plastic into the body and cause inflammation, or whether body tissue just seals over plastic.
Blue Planet II returns to the oceans 16 years after the first series, The Blue Planet, was broadcast.

Its production team had noticed changes such as plastic in the ocean over years of making underwater films, said its executive producer James Honeyborne.

Greenpeace praised Sir David for speaking out. It called on the Government to introduce “deposit-return schemes”, whereby consumers receive a small deposit back when they return plastic packaging such as bottles for recycling.
“The good news is that there are things we could do right now to stop this plastic scourge” said Greenpeace spokesperson Louise Edge.

Ms Edge also called on companies to set a date for reducing the number of single-use bottles they produced, and asked consumers to use less plastic.

Source Article...

theartist

Reaction score
Looking forward to Blue Planet II but not looking forward to the effects of plastic in our water systems.

This is the biggest problem mankind and nature will ever have to deal with, not just the seas but our inland waterways and even ground water will all be affected more an more by the sheer amount of plastic discarded.

thecrow

Reaction score
I saw a programme last week where a dead whale was cut open, its stomach was full of plastic bags that it had eaten.

Surely in this day and age plastics can be made biodegradable? it might cost but if things were more expensive people might not be so quick to throw them away.

theartist

Reaction score
Remember back in the day you got a few bob (can't remember how much) for taking your old fizzy bottles back to the shop.

Governments could apply something like that especially if they imagined everyone is a motorist and used the same sort of levy drivers get imposed on them at regular intervals.

theartist

Reaction score
I wonder what the cost per unit difference is between glass and plastic bottles? Guessing it's not a costing that governments couldn't subsidise alongside recycling schemes.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A coupe of years ago I read something about the Japanese had discovered a bacteria that fed on plastic. It was totally naturally occurring, they just found it by accident. I thought its marvelous how nature will find a way of bio degrading even plastic. However, I have not heard anything since but it could be the long term answer. I thought they could incorporate this bacteria into plastic bags so that once they got wet the bacteria became active and ate the bag. And if it became active on a refuse tip it might eat all the other plastic as well.

In the meantime, the 5p bag seems to have reduced their usage a bit but still x billion sold every year, bit of a pointless exercise to reduce the pollution by any serious amount. All plastic should be seriously collected with special collection points or something and fines for not using them. I live on the coast and the tide line is festooned with plastic of some sort or the other, its all just been discarded into the general mass and ended up there. Every time a wave moves it and it rubs on the sand or stones a few micros of it gets rubbed off and it ends up in the sea-water, a process that is happening every day multiplied by a billion+ bits of plastic. It all comes from people just throwing it away into the general pot of rubbish and environment.
Should be collected separately and dealt with. I just cannot see it ever being not used in manufacturing (money and politics), got to be dealt with by some very very serious recycling (not on landfill sites) with the full weight of the law behind it in my opinion. And its got to be a global thing.

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
If only waterborne plastics were the least of our worries. The Fukushima nuclear complex is still busily irradiating the Pacific, with the results felt as far way as the US and Canada. Ulcerated fish and sea mammals are common and there are reports that the Pacific salmon faces imminent extinction: Hundreds Of Millions Of Salmon Disappear On West Coast Of US | Neon Nettle

Meanwhile, the world's self-appointed leading nation is more concerned with prosecuting a series of illegal wars than joining forces with the Japanese to tackle the potential planet-wide extinction of all marine life.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
It has always been a mystery to me how governments - supposedly comprised of intelligent, thinking people of unusual ability - are ALWAYS 20 years behind, whatever the issue! A lag of a year or two is excusable but to act on something the public was protesting about two decades before is beyond belief and all the proof one needs that they do, indeed, live in a bubble.

When they do get around to doing something it's halfhearted, ineffective or even cowardly; quite simply, there seems to be not a single MP with any guts.
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but where are the firebrands who - in another era - would have been vociferously demanding action? Martin Salter has done great things for angling and other water-related matters over the years but cannot GOVERNMENTS just decree - at a stroke - that, for example, plastic bottles MUST be returnable from Jan 1st......... and that a severe penalty will be imposed for discarding them irresponsibly? There can be no legitimate objections to such measures - so why isn't it done? Singapore banned chewing-gum. Result? They don't have a problem any more!
On practical, non-political, environmental issues, why can't we just DO IT?

flightliner

Reaction score
Surely in this day and age plastics can be made biodegradable? it might cost but if things were more expensive people might not be so quick to throw them away.

They already do Graham, dissolving pva used in carp Angling is an example as is dissolving foam .
They just leave a specific something or other in the molecular chain.
A plus or minus quantity for a faster or slower melt rate does it .
Same with rapid hardening cement that has no retarder added , normal cements have it added to give longer workability (gypsum) otherwise a "flash set" occurs giving problems in more normal conditions/situations.
Ironic that in cements case less ingredients in manufacturing add up to a bag costing nearly three times the normal price !

rayner

Reaction score
I can see David Attenborough making more of an impact regarding reducing plastics than anyone else. Joe public will listen to him.

thecrow

Reaction score
It has always been a mystery to me how governments - supposedly comprised of intelligent, thinking people of unusual ability - are ALWAYS 20 years behind, whatever the issue! A lag of a year or two is excusable but to act on something the public was protesting about two decades before is beyond belief and all the proof one needs that they do, indeed, live in a bubble.

When they do get around to doing something it's halfhearted, ineffective or even cowardly; quite simply, there seems to be not a single MP with any guts.
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but where are the firebrands who - in another era - would have been vociferously demanding action? Martin Salter has done great things for angling and other water-related matters over the years but cannot GOVERNMENTS just decree - at a stroke - that, for example, plastic bottles MUST be returnable from Jan 1st......... and that a severe penalty will be imposed for discarding them irresponsibly? There can be no legitimate objections to such measures - so why isn't it done? Singapore banned chewing-gum. Result? They don't have a problem any more!
On practical, non-political, environmental issues, why can't we just DO IT?

They have to keep pontificating and sending it round never ending corridors that lead nowhere to justify them being where they are and receiving what they do, I have no time for any of them no matter who/what they represent. If they made things so simple why would we need them?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have some faith in Gov to get on top of problems, DDT and Dieldrin (I think it was called) in the 60's; it got banned eventually. The present Bee problem might be drilled down to a insecticide misuse and get banned. These things can only be done if there's a Government. At least we are onto this problem and plastic. We don't see the long term effect at the time and Gov is too slow to react, endless corridors indeed but, we do get there sometimes..
However plastic is different, its so far ranging and in everything. Its not just bottles and plastic bags, the shoreline is festooned with old toothbrushes, broken CD cases, plastic crates, plastic cups, polystyrene of all sorts, yacht fenders (see loads of these), bits of nylon rope, endless amounts of food packaging and more.
Its not some individual chemical we can just ban. Its got to be taken out of the general rubbish we all throw away. Companies that produce plastic should pay a percentage of their profits according to how much they produce to help pay for it to be collected and got rid of; all of it; then they would be encouraged to look for alternatives. Its no good just reducing it, that will just delay the build up, it does not break down quick enough.
We could put all our plastic in a separate plastic bin bag and dump it outside a supermarket with a note telling them to get rid of it. I did propose this to the Green Party once but they never replied!
The 5p levy on carrier bags is just a token gesture, a lot more has to be done and the Gov are just too preoccupied with themselves half the time; the Boris show must go on.
And whatever happens it has to be an international effort, two foreign rivers were identified as the biggest sources recently, one in China. A long way to go yet I am afraid but we could get the ball rolling..

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Every one it seems want to get rid of plastic here is one way just stop buying any fishing related items made from plastic or non biodegradable materials.
If you are that worried stop buying anything made from plastic. We are all adding to this pile plastic.
Then of course there are the piles of takeaway food containers we all love very little of which is recyclable.

thecrow

Reaction score
If you are that worried stop buying anything made from plastic.

If only that was possible Steve, even stuff on the shelves in shops has more than likely been delivered there on a pallet wrapped in shrink wrap.

As I post this I have looked around the room I am in and tried to decide what that is made of plastic could be replaced by other materials, there is very little in the room that is made of plastic and what is (tv, sky box, mobile phone, this laptop, ) I cant think of another material they could be made of and that's a problem that modern society has and why I believe plastic should be bio degradable.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Every one it seems want to get rid of plastic here is one way just stop buying any fishing related items made from plastic or non biodegradable materials.
If you are that worried stop buying anything made from plastic. We are all adding to this pile plastic.
Then of course there are the piles of takeaway food containers we all love very little of which is recyclable.
You have a point of course, it would be possible to reduce the amount we buy with a bit of discernment. However, its everywhere and in almost everything. Every sliced loaf has a polythene wrapper, plastic throw away razor blades, look at the list of stuff I mentioned in my other post. Even with a bit of shopping discernment, loads of it will still end up in the sea. I still think the only real way is to separate it all from the general mass of rubbish we throw away everyday. This will be the short/medium term solution. Public awareness, manufacturers coming round to finding alternatives one day and maybe natural occurring bacteria couldl all happen but this will take a long time.