Let’s hear it for ol’ Father Thames!

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It must be nearly ten years ago that various ‘superstar anglers’ began telling us that river fishing in Britain was finished and we should all go and fish in Thailand or in a fenced off safari park where otters, cormorants and Eastern Europeans feared to tread.

Well it’s not quite worked out as predicted has it? The Severn has been fishing it’s head off for roach and dace this year, to the extent that there’s talk of holding a future Riverfest final at Shrewsbury. The Wye continues to be prolific and the barbel fishing on the Trent has been nothing short of phenomenal. Down south, where I live, I think it’s fair to say that the chub fishing has never been so good on the Hampshire Avon as it is right now and it’s great to hear of the return of good roach catches from parts of both the Avon and the Stour. Over in Kent the Medway has once again been providing some great sport and then there is Old Father Thames.

img_6226.jpg

This year’s Tidefest Winner Mike Smith with one of the big bream that live in the tidal Thames in London
I was brought up fishing this wonderful river in the 60’s and 70’s when there were signs on the riverbank warning bathers that they enter at their own risk due to poor water quality. Now we have regular runs of seatrout navigating the locks and weirs and entering tributaries such as the Colne, Loddon and Wandle. In the 1950s parts of the tidal river in London were declared ‘biologically dead’ but now EA surveys have revealed that a staggering 127 different species of fish are living in the heart of our capital city. For the fourth year running I organised the Tidefest Angling Championship on the Thames at Kew, Chiswick and Barnes and once again big weights of bream were caught along with small barbel, carp, roach and dace. As part of Tidefest, which is sponsored by Thames Water with the aim of ‘reconnecting Londoners with their river’ we organise river dipping for local kids on the foreshore by Kew Bridge. And for a second year baby bass featured in the catches showing what an important nursery area this has become.

Thanks to the EU Waste Water Treatment Directive we have seen a progressive improvement in the quality of sewage effluent which has made a huge difference to this, the most heavily abstracted and modified watercourse in the UK. And there’s more good news. Within the next next six years construction will be completed on the massive £4bn Thames Tideway Tunnel which will intercept the storm overflows from the combined sewerage and rainwater systems, keeping 36 million tonnes polluted water out of the river by sending it straight to the treatment works at Beckton. I am, of course, proud of the role that the Angling Trust played in lobbying for the Tunnel in the face of some short sighted but potentially influential opposition. Even now the tidal Thames never fails to impress me with the range and quality of fish that it throws up. Last year I had that well publicised two pound roach from Chiswick and just a couple of weeks ago my old mate and fellow Thames advocate, Keith Arthur, had one just a few ounces lighter a little way upstream. I’ve also heard of some cracking roach, big enough to make grown men slather, coming out at the top end of the Tideway. If sport like this is happening now just how good is the river going to be once that inceptor tunnel is up and running?

image1-e1510465893849.jpeg

Keith Arthur and Rae Borras with a clonking tidal Thames roach
Moving up river to the middle reaches and this season has seen some very happy match and pleasure anglers enjoying some of the best roach fishing that any of us can remember for a long time. One of the top matchmen in the Reading area is Simon Couling who recorded 105lbs of roach in five consecutive club matches on our local stretch at Pangbourne. The same fishery saw a winter league match won with 47lbs of roach and skimmers on the float beating a 30lbs bag of feeder caught bream. How often does that happen!

9-12-bream.jpg

image1.jpg

Some of the roach and bream grow to specimen sizes on the upper reaches of the Thames Tideway
Similar catches have been recorded from Wallingford to Oxford and above. For my own fishing I now have no need to travel far from my home in Reading to enjoy some cracking sport. Although my mates in the local EA fisheries team told me about some pretty impressive evidence of recent successful spawning years on the Thames it wasn’t really until last season that the penny dropped for me and I realised that something special was happening. I had a few hours to kill and a bit of bait left in the fridge so I popped down to river and slung out a groundbait feeder with a couple of red maggots on the hook. In three hours I never had a chance to put the rod in the rest as the bait was intercepted by a hand sized skimmer bream or small roach within seconds of the feeder hitting the deck. I even switched to the old ‘dink dink’ set up with a short hooklink on an up line paternoster to improve the hook up ratio and it soon became one a bung. The river was simply alive with three and four year old fish that must have successfully spawned and survived thanks to the dry winters of 2011/12 which saw very little in the way of fry wash out.

img_6416.jpg

The middle Thames is full of fresh young roach at the moment. There’s plenty of skimmers too and the chub are on the way back so the future looks bright!
These fish have continued to prosper in the river and sport looks set to become even better in the coming years. I know these things are cyclical and that floods and predation can have an impact, as they did with the summer floods of 2007 which caused all sorts of chaos and displacement, but I really do believe that we are at the start of something special on the Thames and I’m bloody loving it!

img_2867.jpg

Urid Beans – available at a Tesco’s near you or from your local Asian supermarket
The magic bean

Part of me still has that anglers tendency to want to keep secret a new bait or technique but I can hardly do this in the case of the ‘magic bean’. Not least because all credit for these great replacements for those ‘awkward to cook perfectly tares’ has to go the highly successful London angler Brijpal Singh and to Keith Arthur who let the cat out of the bag in his Angling Times column. Brijpal’s wife uses the Urid Bean in stews and curries and it didn’t take long for them to find their way into his bait box.

Preparing them is simplicity itself and unlike tares there’s no need to soak them for 24 hours in advance or to keep checking for the exact moment to take them off the boil for fear of ending up with a bait that is too hard or too soft. They are of uniform size, fractionally bigger than a grain of ‘huge hemp’ and catapult out in a nice tight pattern. Their texture is rubbery and unlike tares they often remain on the hook after a missed bite giving the angler the option of continuing to run down the swim without constant rebaiting. Minnows and bleak hate them, roach, chub and dace love them and they cost next to nothing from Tesco’s or your local Asian supermarket – so what’s not to like!

img_6544.jpg

Ferrous sulfate tablets – from Amazon or any chemists – are easier and less messy than bicarbonate and, as you can see, turn the beans jet black. Just like a giant grain of hemp
img_6549.jpg

The beans are a uniform size, perfect for a No 16 hook, with a nice rubbery texture and easier to cook than tares.
To cut down on the number of Facebook enquiries I’ve been having about them, since I foolishly posted a rather nice bag of bean caught Thames roach, here’s the recipe.

Take a pan of water, if you’ve got some old hemp water so much the better but it’s not vital, and soak half a pint of beans for an hour or so. Add some sugar and two ferrous sulfate tabs or some bicarbonate of soda to darken, then bring slowly to the boil and simmer for fifteen minutes. Take off the heat and pour with the liquid into a flask. Leave overnight then strain off and bag and take fishing. Easy as that.

So my advice is to ignore the false prophets of doom, get down to your local river and enjoy some great fishing. And if they’re having the hemp and you like a bag of roach – get on the bean!

Notice for Angling Trust members

Martin will be joining Keith Arthur at the Angling Trust AGM, on Saturday, 18th November at West Midlands Golf Club & The Lake at Barston starting at 10am, for Question Time-style debate about the future for fish and fishing. More details here:

AGM 2017 - The Angling Trust

Source Article...

Last edited by a moderator:

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Thanks, Martin.

The London Thames has, indeed, undergone a transformation few of us could ever have anticipated; when I was a kid it stank and was positively dangerous. I love your well-placed optimism, Martin, but so many (all? other than the London Thames) of our rivers are not a shadow of their former selves. Just 40 years ago, the word 'river' was synonymous with 'fish'...rivers were places where fish lived! You could prove this by looking over a bridge on any substantial waterway and seeing...fish! It was the norm! Now I would readily admit to not getting out enough nowadays but I can't imagine the situation has improved greatly. Otters, cormorants, merganser and goosander have merely exacerbated the fundamental problem of water quality, I believe, though some rivers have undoubtedly suffered purely from predatory activity. To walk miles of the beautiful R.Lugg on a pleasant day and see absolutely NOTHING is nothing less than tragic but, I'm told, it is simply 'ottered-out'. Doubtless the R.Arrow and the Teme have suffered similarly. Can anyone advise me otherwise?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Very good news Martin and a very nice write up. Pollution was always the biggest problem in this part of the Thames and the improvement is considerable. Just imagine, 2lb+ roach might become regular and hearing baby bass and sea trout are present is a marvelous sign. I hope the Thames is big enough to take predation if it increases, I don't know if there is a link to the size of a river and how much this affects populations but it seems to me the smaller rivers suffer more so I hope that is the case.
Keep up the good work, its not just our time but future generations will benefit as well.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Can anyone advise me otherwise?

The Trent-- roach soup at the moment, South Yorkshire's river Don-- fall in and die thirty years ago , now so full of all species -- even Salmon!
The maun, the Medan, the Sheaf, the Rother, the Rivalin, the Poulter just to name a few local to me.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
I'm fortunate to have the Thames in Oxford on my doorstep,, over the last few years it has been steadily fishing better, not to say in the 15 years I've lived here it has ever been that bad.

It's hard to imagine how sections such as Medley and Donnington can fit any more roach and bream in them but if we keep having mild winters without severe floods I think it will keep improving.

Sections like Godstow above Medley have been gradually improving as well, we had a small match on there yesterday and we were all expecting a hard days fishing after the cold night and the icy wind but nearly 13lb won it...nothing big but plenty of roach, dace, skimmers and a few big perch.

Further up the Thames its not quite the same story though, I fish Clanfield a fair bit and to be honest I haven't seen any improvement up there at all. although recently more barbel have been showing.

The smaller Thames tributaries around Oxford are steadily improving as well, there as been some very large barbel coming out recently...these from rivers such as the Windrush and Cherwell....which were declared completely ottered out 7 or 8 years ago. The Cherwell which I mainly fish as seen a great improvement in roach and dace numbers in the last 3 years.

One thing that's has been happening around Oxford which I don't know if its happening elsewhere is the almost total disappearance of signal crayfish which I think was the main cause of reduced fish stocks, why its happening I don't know but hopefully it continues.

Martin...the Urid beans, when they are cooked can they be frozen, used and be refrozen without softening them up? tares can be a pain to get right but can be last well.

theartist

Reaction score
Thanks, Martin.

The London Thames has, indeed, undergone a transformation few of us could ever have anticipated; when I was a kid it stank and was positively dangerous. I love your well-placed optimism, Martin, but so many (all? other than the London Thames) of our rivers are not a shadow of their former selves. Just 40 years ago, the word 'river' was synonymous with 'fish'...rivers were places where fish lived! You could prove this by looking over a bridge on any substantial waterway and seeing...fish! It was the norm! Now I would readily admit to not getting out enough nowadays but I can't imagine the situation has improved greatly. Otters, cormorants, merganser and goosander have merely exacerbated the fundamental problem of water quality, I believe, though some rivers have undoubtedly suffered purely from predatory activity. To walk miles of the beautiful R.Lugg on a pleasant day and see absolutely NOTHING is nothing less than tragic but, I'm told, it is simply 'ottered-out'. Doubtless the R.Arrow and the Teme have suffered similarly. Can anyone advise me otherwise?

The Lugg and Teme have been affected by otters but I visit both and catch plenty of Chub and Grayling, some areas are devoid of fish though but some aren't.

Re the Tidal Thames I'm going to hold judgment until they finish the new sewer as a big discharge can happen again anytime

jasonbean1

Reaction score
The Lugg and Teme have been affected by otters but I visit both and catch plenty of Chub and Grayling, some areas are devoid of fish though but some aren't.

I don't know why but I really like the Lugg...like you say there can be no fish for miles then all of a sudden you land on a few. The effort put in and the reward make for a great days fishing...even if you blank its a good workout trying to find them!

martinsalter

Reaction score
I don't know why but I really like the Lugg...like you say there can be no fish for miles then all of a sudden you land on a few. The effort put in and the reward make for a great days fishing...even if you blank its a good workout trying to find them!

I’m hearing that the Lugg is on the way back. My mate has had some great catches there this season. And yes those beans - they freeze well !

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I'm fortunate to have the Thames in Oxford on my doorstep,, over the last few years it has been steadily fishing better, not to say in the 15 years I've lived here it has ever been that bad.

It's hard to imagine how sections such as Medley and Donnington can fit any more roach and bream in them but if we keep having mild winters without severe floods I think it will keep improving.

Sections like Godstow above Medley have been gradually improving as well, we had a small match on there yesterday and we were all expecting a hard days fishing after the cold night and the icy wind but nearly 13lb won it...nothing big but plenty of roach, dace, skimmers and a few big perch.

Further up the Thames its not quite the same story though, I fish Clanfield a fair bit and to be honest I haven't seen any improvement up there at all. although recently more barbel have been showing.

The smaller Thames tributaries around Oxford are steadily improving as well, there as been some very large barbel coming out recently...these from rivers such as the Windrush and Cherwell....which were declared completely ottered out 7 or 8 years ago. The Cherwell which I mainly fish as seen a great improvement in roach and dace numbers in the last 3 years.

One thing that's has been happening around Oxford which I don't know if its happening elsewhere is the almost total disappearance of signal crayfish which I think was the main cause of reduced fish stocks, why its happening I don't know but hopefully it continues.

Martin...the Urid beans, when they are cooked can they be frozen, used and be refrozen without softening them up? tares can be a pain to get right but can be last well.

Jason, this business with the crayfish is pretty bizarre isn't it? When they first exploded in the thames, it was thick with them. Any bait you put out - mangled in seconds and then you might even have the horror of catching one of them and trying to disgorge/ untangle it.

I'm probably thinking back about 15 years or so? Can't remember the last one I came across in the thames recently, and I've been doing a lot of fishing with maggots and worms, which previously they'd have been on in seconds.

I don't know too much about their lifecycle, but given the number of perch and chub I'm catching at the moment which could definitely eat one, I do wonder if the fish (and who knows, maybe the otters and the mink and some of those other predators) have got the numbers down? I've certainly had chub and perch cough up a claw or leg in the landing net to give away their last meal....