Bass ban sparks fury amongst sea anglers

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Angling groups and charter boat skippers have reacted with fury to this week’s announcement by the European Commission that it is proposing to EU ministers that sea anglers should no longer be allowed to retain a single bass caught in 2018 - and face a complete ban on catch & release bass angling for six months of the year - particularly as the Commission is proposing permitting some forms of commercial fishing.

More...

theartist

Reaction score
French boats can skirt the coast off the Pompy taking the piste. Shore anglers could take at least 0.000000002 % of what they can trawl, they wouldn't wan't that would they.

Brexit, Fisheries ministers and Teresa May Pull yourself together and realise what assets you have. Shore Bass angling is worth millions as is our fishing rights so maybe it's worth saying no the Eu from now on, go on, give it a go.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Some years ago I understood Bass were common because they inhabited rocky areas where trawlers couldn't go. Then they discovered breeding grounds where they would shoal and started to decimate them however, I still believe Bass have more chance of escaping their nets than say Cod. Putting protective areas around places where they are known to shoal prior to breeding would achieve a lot more than just banning pleasure catches which will have little effect as indeed have all EU quota systems for the last 60 years; name me one!.
One of the first things we must do IF we get any control back of our own coastal waters is put protective areas around known Bass breeding shoals off our coast, off Beachy Head for example; we can do it better than the EU.
My own quota system is I will allow myself one meal of any species per year but I will forgo that on occasions, Bass for example.
As to limiting shore based anglers in general, they don't impact populations hardly at all IMO, charter boats might but if they were not allowed to fish certain areas their impact would be negligible as well.
I read a report recently where it was reckoned our commercial fishing industry was in line for a big economic boost and jobs when we leave the EU, maybe so or maybe not but it can not be any worse than it has become. But we desperately need someone in Parliament who understands it, is forward looking and innovative, not Micheal Gove who thinks we must allow EU boats in if we cannot catch them all; every last fish I presume...That's about as forward looking and innovative as a ....I will have to use restraint now........

Last edited: