Natural Resources Wales Board Ignores 83% Consultation Response and Supports Mandator

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Anglers reacted in dismay when the Board of Natural Resources Wales supported its executive’s proposals for imposition of mandatory 100% catch and release for salmon anglers throughout Wales at a meeting on January 18th. The Board will now recommend to Welsh Government that this is implemented with effect from the 2018 fishing season, ignoring the 83% of respondents to the public consultation who did not agree with the catch and release proposals.

More...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I will take an educated guess this board were going to do this from the moment they first met to discuss it; they were only ever going to pay lip service to any one elses opinions, surveys, interested bodies, logical arguments etc. The opportunity to exercise any power they have was not going to be passed by; it is often the case this is the only agenda on the table. They would have enjoyed all these people and organizations had to come begging to them to change their minds but that was as far it went.
M Cynic.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
Its what happens when politicians who have vey little idea of either the state of the environment or how it can be restored get involved in these things.

I sometimes wonder what has gone on behind closed doors to convince politicians that their decision is the correct one.

B

binka

I sometimes wonder what has gone on behind closed doors to convince politicians that their decision is the correct one.

I've got my suspicions...

2a94epz.jpg

seth49

Reaction score
Just seen on the salmon fishing website, all English rivers apart from ten, will be total catch and release as well, it’s only mentioned the Tyne and Tees so far, so don’t know which other rivers are involved.

It’s a shame, but me and my mate stopped salmon fishing last year, we could see this coming, we moved over to carp instead, haven’t regretted it one bit, lot more sport, caught a lot more fish, and it’s a lot easier as well, fishing from a chair instead of wading down a rocky river.
Enjoying the new challenges as well.

seth49

Reaction score
We have spoke to quite a few salmon anglers, who have changed over to barbel as well as carp, salmon have been in decline for a few years now.

It’s a shame, the ribble and hodder used to be stuffed with salmon and sea trout, not any more though.

seth49

Reaction score
Sorry it’s the Tyne Wear and Severn. That have been mentioned out of the ten English rivers, that won’t be total catch and release from this year, supposed to be a full announcement in February.

ken more

Reaction score
We have spoke to quite a few salmon anglers, who have changed over to barbel as well as carp, salmon have been in decline for a few years now.

It’s a shame, the ribble and hodder used to be stuffed with salmon and sea trout, not any more though.

Hi Seth, any idea's why.

seth49

Reaction score
I think it’s just that they wanted more consistent sport, than they were getting with the salmon and sea trout, and also they were paying a lot of money out, and getting very little in return.
Me and my mate have game fished for over fifty years, and decided that it wasn’t worth the effort any more, or the expense, we were paying over three hundred pounds a year, in subs and salmon license each.

We were sat in the sun, last year, happily catching carp and silvers, and we both said, we don’t miss the salmon at all. And we were very happy just doing what we were,we are happy with the fishing we have, and are quite comfortable doing what we do now,?