New Animal Welfare Bill could pose threat to angling by ‘opening the door to animal r

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
New Animal Welfare Bill could pose threat to angling by ‘opening the door to animal r

The Angling Trust has written to Environment Secretary Michael Gove to express serious concerns over possible consequences for angling as a result of the government’s Animal Welfare (Sentencing and Recognition of Sentience) Bill.

More...

thecrow

Reaction score
Re: New Animal Welfare Bill could pose threat to angling by ‘opening the door to anim

Do the trust really believe that this could have implications for angling considering the amount of votes that would be lost from not only anglers but also those who rely on anglers for their living if idiots with agenda's try to get angling banned?

Anglers might not stick together on a lot of things but trying to get angling banned will see them stick together on at least one thing.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Re: New Animal Welfare Bill could pose threat to angling by ‘opening the door to anim

We are ageing and diminishing.

Don't count on an electoral threat to save us in the long run.

Hunting first

Shooting second

Then............................

This is part of the salami effect, slice by slice

At my age, I may not live long enough to see angling banned but I believe that our 'liberal' values will do for it in the end.

Stu

john r stockburn

Reaction score

Do the trust really believe that this could have implications for angling considering the amount of votes that would be lost from not only anglers but also those who rely on anglers for their living if idiots with agenda's try to get angling banned?

Anglers might not stick together on a lot of things but trying to get angling banned will see them stick together on at least one thing.

just look at what has happened in Austria and Germany
as I have said before the "lunatics are now running the asylum"

bennygesserit

Reaction score

Listen I am as liberal as they come - a guardian reading , leftie , Civil servant so I am right in the "wrong" demographic and I don't want it banned.

Not only would anglers be incensed what would your Missis do with you moping round the house all day on a Sunday Wistfully looking at your tackle?

stu_the_blank

Reaction score

Listen I am as liberal as they come - a guardian reading , leftie , Civil servant so I am right in the "wrong" demographic and I don't want it banned.

Not only would anglers be incensed what would your Missis do with you moping round the house all day on a Sunday Wistfully looking at your tackle?
An angler who doesn't want to ban angling, there's a twist!

It'll happen over time and the propaganda will make angling socially unacceptable along with all the other field sports. It may be a long way off but that's the road we are on.

Stu

no-one in particular

Reaction score

How are they going to argue a fish is not an animal, it should be separated from all other animals that might be included in a Sentencing and Recognition of Sentience Bill. I cant see any Gov doing that, there would be an uproar from just about everyone, most of all - all the other hunting groups.
The only shot they got is arguing fishing does not affect the sentience of fish and that will fail most likely. At which point going down the animal kingdom does sentience becomes null and void, fish! good luck with that.

nottskev

Reaction score

You don't have to look very far to see that amongst general populations, leaving extremist groups aside, there is increasingly a mood for seeing other species as "fellows" rather than creatures to be dominated and exploited, and a growing inclination towards an ethical view of angling that reflects that. Equally, there is plenty of scientific research working over the issues of the impact on fish of being caught - feeling pain and suffering other kinds of non-lethal damage. Both strands are the background in countries, like Germany and Switzerland, that have banned catch and release fishing. As anglers, we are convinced we treat fish well, challenge what we see as abuse, and care about the environment and its fitness to support fish. But we can't assume the wider public sees us or the sport so positively, and we need to have rational and convincing arguments and evidence ready to make our case and demonstrate that fish welfare, as opposed to fish rights, is the better framework.