Checks and Balances: Apex Predators and the Balance of Nature

Dave Slater

Reaction score
As an angler I have come to regard otters as an enemy. They have increased dramatically in numbers in my area and done a huge amount of damage to fish stocks. I know some anglers say they like to see them. Total idiots in my book. As more lakes have otter proof fencing to protect stocks the situation on the rivers can only get much worse as more fish will be taken as the lake option is removed from the equation. Also some lakes cannot have otter fencing as there is a public footpath on one or more banks. These will also come under more pressure, which has happened on a couple of my local lakes. It wouldn't be quite so bad if the otters only killed for food and ate the whole fish but they seem to kill fish as a form of play. I really fear for the future of river fishing if some form of control is introduced to reduce the number of otters. No good thinking that it will balance out as that is totally delusional.

thecrow

Reaction score
I have always thought maybe wrongly that rivers were the natural environment for otters, if that's the case it seems to me that they have moved to still waters and garden ponds because of the lack of prey in their natural environment.

Dave Slater

Reaction score
Rivers are, and always have been, their natural environment. The problem now is due the explosion in the otter population. This has caused the lack of prey in their natural environment as they have decimated stock levels. If the numbers are not controlled in some way I really fear for the future of river fishing. At least many still waters can be protected, otherwise we may not have an fish left.

lutra

Reaction score
Very strange (not to me) that the picture of a "comprehensively ottered 20lb carp" that started these posts shows very little sign of otter damage. Its brains and gills that are a favourite for otters look untouched, yet its guts look to have gone. Whats that about? And it looks to have the straightest line cut through it's flesh I have ever seen on a fish eaten by an otter. Do southern otters use knives and forks?

Yes otters eat fish, but if I was a betting man, I would have my money on that carp never having seen an otter and that's a fish from Hereford. A strong hold for naturally native otters. It's just a shame anglers have seen the need to stick carp holes everywhere in resent years and then cry about wildlife feeding there.............

The only bit of the articles I can agree with are when Ken sum's up by saying,
"So in conclusion, least for now, I love to see wildlife, big fish of course, I’m a fisherman, but I also love to see other wildlife and that includes otter.

However, for me this needs to be about promoting as diverse an ecology as possible. Not a love of a single species to the extent that others, vital components in a, dare I say after my comments about balance, a well managed habitat, in effect balanced ?????? habitat. A habitat that is looked after, invertebrates to the largest fish and mammals.

Also regarding anglers, I believe those who scream kill ‘em need to wind in their necks, yes we need action, but I believe we need to work with others with vested interests in the environment and especially come together as a coherent and respectful angling lobby body and frankly I believe The Predation Action Group and the Angling Trust offer the best scope and have already done considerable work in this field.

I do not support ill concieved splinter groups that take action that divides the angling community rather than bringing together for the common good of not just angling, but frankly all who have an interest in a diverse and well managed countryside".

As for rest of it, IMO angling needs or is getting a good lesson in sustainability. It's played god, but with only it's own interest at hart in resent years and now it's paying the price..........

I see the future for unpolluted waters with more natural and self sustaining fish stocks as being much brighter. And yes that seems to be a bigger problem for some anglers than others and more for some parts of the country......... There is a lot more than predators that could do with sorting out IMO, angling has been making a big mess of things as well, but I don't thing you all want to hear that.