What goes through your mind...?

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
What do we think about on those laid-back fishing days? Anything in particular? Or do you have a preoccupation like the environment, family, politics, God, health? Do you sometimes re-assess what it is you're doing? Do you wonder what path your life might be taking (or would have taken) had you not been hooked on fishing?

john step

Reaction score
Just depends on whats going on in my life at the moment. No good dwelling too much on what might have been and the mistakes made in the past.
Sometimes just looking around a nature. Sometimes catching a snooze with the buzzers on high. (Skippy..I fish remote areas and no one else can hear!)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
In between the actual fishing I tend to be thinking about things like: what to change if not catching, bait or method?

Maybe it is time to switch location, or even part of the swim . . . .

Then, what is hapening to my bait; is it presented neatly or maybe snagged in weeds etc.

When I stop fishing for a bite to eat or a cup of coffee then my thoughts usually turn to the locality and the environment, what birds are around or other wildlife.

Even in those non-fishing periods I keep the bait going in . . . . .

At the end of the day when all packed up I nearly always stop to reflect on the day; how the fishing went and what was learned from the day, and always over a final cippa at the bankside . . . . .

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When I stop fishing for a bite to eat or a cup of coffee then my thoughts usually turn to the locality and the environment, what birds are around or other wildlife.

Funny enough, thats the time I usually get a bite!

B

binka

It's a bit of a moving target for me.

Often it's the fishing itself but other thoughts inevitably creep in, notable occasions are my regular Christmas Day sessions where I make a point of remembering those who were close but no longer with us and June the 16th often conjures up thoughts of Richard Walker for some reason.

Outside of that it could be allsorts from finances to the meaning of life in general, it really depends on what is happening in my life at that particular time.

Irrespective, fishing is the escape from the constant mind chatter of modern day life and one of two things which 'pulls the plug out' and returns me to something resembling normality.

The other thing is...

Gardening! :eek:mg:

mikench

Reaction score
I resolve all the worlds problems, devise plans to become a millionaire, contemplate whether I need any more tackle, should I change bait and then I miss the bite!!!:rolleyes:

Another Dave

Reaction score
I think about the fishing itself, everything else goes away, a big part of the attraction for me. Although if i'm taking a pic then i do think of you lot and who would be interested.

thecrow

Reaction score
Mostly about whats going on under the water in front of me, other thoughts such as I wish that bloke next to me would stop talking to his mate in such a loud voice do come into my head though.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When I’m having a bad day I think about the next trip, it happens a lot.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I resolve all the worlds problems, devise plans to become a millionaire, contemplate whether I need any more tackle, should I change bait and then I miss the bite!!!:rolleyes:

Mike,

I can maybe help you out here so that can free your thoughts in other directions . . . .

We anglers ALWAYS need more tackle . . . . . now you can concentrate more on that float ;)

rayner

Reaction score
After a couple of attempts I settled for keeping my thoughts to myself.
I've tried to explain what does or doesn't go through my mind but without sounding like I want sympathy or sounding too cheesy I've decided to keep my own council.
I can comfortably say I try to block everything.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
I often think of all the pop and rock concerts I missed because I was so utterly captivated by night-fishing, but I don't think I'd change anything if I could. Ideally I'd have made time for both. The Kinks, Stones, Small Faces, Georgie Fame, Zoot Money...they could all be seen in local pubs and dance halls for a ten bob ticket!

thecrow

Reaction score
One thing I thought while fishing yesterday was......... what is it that makes an angler pick out a particular piece of bait, what is it about that maggot that makes an angler choose it out of thousands or a piece of meat from all the rest, what makes that piece of hemp or that tare so special it is chosen before all others?

john step

Reaction score
One thing I thought while fishing yesterday was......... what is it that makes an angler pick out a particular piece of bait, what is it about that maggot that makes an angler choose it out of thousands or a piece of meat from all the rest, what makes that piece of hemp or that tare so special it is chosen before all others?

Blimey thats getting deep.

View attachment 5041

mikench

Reaction score
Graham i knew there was more to you than the reserved, diplomatic and tranquil character sometimes hinted at in your posts!!:rolleyes::):wh

The mere fact that you think whilst fishing without interruptions, noises and stresses enables a state of mindfulness which whether it's setting up, picking that maggot or tare which might make a difference, is very therapeutic ! Keep it up!:rolleyes: