BBC News: Foam pollution causes River Great Ouse ‘bubble bath’

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
[h=1]Pollution along a 10-mile stretch of river has left it looking like a bubble bath and hundreds of fish dead.[/h]The River Great Ouse between Brackley, in Northamptonshire, and Buckingham has been affected by the pollution, believed to be detergent.
The Environment Agency said because of its nature nothing could be done to remove or stop the foam and it would wait for it to dilute.
One Buckingham resident described it as like a “washing machine has exploded”.
Robin Heaven added that the “foam” was showing up near weirs, drifting in the air and that he saw “a few fish lying around”.
_102273096_buckingham2.jpg

The foam is clearly visible at weirs in Buckingham
(image copyright Robin Heaven)
_102273098_ouse.jpg

Hundreds of fish are reported to have died
Image copyright@KID_12345789

_102273103_buckingham2.jpg

A smell of chemicals has been reported
Image copyright@KID_12345789

“Normally you can see the bottom of the river at this time of year as well as the fish in there, but it’s a brown sort of colour,” he said.

Another resident, who did not wish to be named, said foams were up to 5ft (1.5m) in height near a weir east of Buckingham.

The Environment Agency said its officers were collecting water samples to understand the environmental impact and urged people to keep dogs out of any foamy water and anglers not to fish.

“Indications this morning are that the pollution is continuing to move downstream,” a spokesman added.

After Buckingham, the River Great Ouse runs through Milton Keynes, Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire before entering the sea in Norfolk.

Thames Valley Police has asked people to keep out of the river and its tributaries.

Source Article...

Last edited by a moderator:
B

binka

Sickening!

It's of little consolation to the environment but the best that can now be achieved is that the source is identified and those responsible are punished to the full extent of the law.

Just how many times do we have to keep on seeing and suffering this?

john step

Reaction score
First the Witham now the Gt Ouse. I know what I would like to do to those responsible but its unprintable.

I can remember RW in an Angling Times article donkeys yonks ago foretelling the time when the only angling left would be still waters.I hope his prophesy is not slowly coming true.

Last edited: