Bass Bag Limit Hopes Confirmed as Estimates of Recreational Removals are Slashed

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Angling Trust and Save Our Sea Bass have ramped up pressure on the European Commission after new scientific advice from the International Council for the Exploration of the Seas (ICES) revealed that bass mortality from sea anglers is much lower than estimated last year.

More...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Its confusing and how did they get a revised estimate, how was the first one so wrong, 87% wrong.
There is always talk about scientific methods but no one ever tells you what they are. I tried finding this out once on the ICES websites and the other EU one but couldn't find anything. Its as if they don't want to shout about it and my guess is they are not very scientific at all. All I could find was a couple of mentions of the bio mass of spawn but still nothing on how that's calculated.
The only thing I have ever had some sure feeling about for some time is that marine reserves work, plenty of information available about them and they ensure species don't become extinct and there will always be some fish to catch commercially or recreationally. This wont happen so we will be tinkering and hoping for a long time yet.

Last edited: