Otters, cormorants, mink, crayfish ... what the Angling Trust has done to tackle pred

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Summary of an article written by Mark Lloyd, Chief Executive of the Angling Trust, setting out the actions that the Trust has taken on predation over the past few years to deliver the Predation Action Plan.

More...

thecrow

Reaction score
The trust have sat on the fence so long over otter they have splinters in their bums, not so long ago they decried a petition organised by the barbel society in an attempt to get none lethal controls introduced, over 12,000 signed the trust having seen the number of anglers that had signed it they then have the cheek to use one of the none lethal methods proposed as PR for themselves.

The trust now refuses to talk to the BS at any meetings to do with predation, Stronger together? on who's terms?

Just how many are there that are licenced to trap otter inside a fence (you can have a fence but only if you pay lots towards it) for it then to be released outside the fence what a great idea that is i don't think.

It is yet another example of PR put out by the trust imo.

An adult view? that implies that all other views are not adult why is that?

john r stockburn

Reaction score
the damage that is being inflicted by these "top end preditors" can only be controlled by lethal means , shoot the ****ing things and stop pampering to the lefties

non of this **** happened until walt Disney started to give animals voices

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
the damage that is being inflicted by these "top end preditors" can only be controlled by lethal means , shoot the ****ing things and stop pampering to the lefties

non of this **** happened until walt Disney started to give animals voices

I'm with you on the right.....but not on this.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
What hypocrisy would that be then Graham.

The ATr, PAG and the BS were discussing this when the BS broke to go it on their own (in my view half-cocked) with a petition that basically was asking for what we already have, and got short shrift (if not a wholly terse) reply from the Government.

The only real way forward on the issue of Predation will be a diplomatic one, aided by sensible discussion, and debate and by the government recognised angling body.

We will just add this to the list of things we agree to disagree upon.

thecrow

Reaction score
What hypocrisy would that be then Graham.

The hypocrisy of decrying someone trying to get some action on none lethal means of control one of the control ideas being that injured orphaned otter were not released back into the wild, they wanted nothing to do with it and now come out saying that its an option to be pursued, hypocrisy is what it is and I believe that the fence sitters that did a complete u turn when they saw how many had signed the petition will achieve nothing, that is my view it may not be an adult view but I know hypocrisy when its staring me in the face.

thecrow

Reaction score
with a petition that basically was asking for what we already have

Absolute rubbish, the BS started the petition because the trust were doing nothing about none lethal control, they sat on the fence for years doing nothing other than supplying money our money from the EA to part fund fencing.

Truth is the trust think they represent all anglers, they don't far from it, ask yourself why they have so few members many of whom are forced to join in order to fish matches.

I don't suppose you have ever thought why the government are prepared to deal with the trust? couldn't be because they know how weak they are on subject like this could it?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Rather than any form of "hypocrisy" I see that more as a product of more detailed study and discussion rather than sitting on a fence.

Then when a consensus has been reached, by those groups that were still in discussion, making the appropriate statements to the appropriate audience.

thecrow

Reaction score
Rather than any form of "hypocrisy" I see that more as a product of more detailed study and discussion rather than sitting on a fence.

Then when a consensus has been reached, by those groups that were still in discussion, making the appropriate statements to the appropriate audience.

Those groups in discussion do not now involve the BS but hey ho lets take one of their idea's and put it forward as our own, hypocrisy is what it is nothing less.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
That is correct, as the BS walked out and decided to go off half-cocked on their own

I'm not sure how you can say that the ATr have taken a BS idea unless you were part of the discussions (?)

My time is limited today, so I will leave the last word with you . . . .

thecrow

Reaction score
I'm not sure how you can say that the ATr have taken a BS idea unless you were part of the discussions (?)

I know this to have been one of the idea's as it was something being discussed as an option in a place that is not viewable by everyone and no I am not a BS member.

Hypocrisy by the trust is not unusual at all, take the case of money being taken from a serial polluter as sponsorship money for matches, like I said hypocrisy.

Why is the view of the trust "an adult" one are all others not?