Making own method feeder ground bait [ method mix ]

logan_paul

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum.
I need help to make my own ground bait for Method Feeder and Cage Feeder.

Well, I live in Bangladesh and I don't have any companies who supply readymade Ground-bait for method feeder or any types of feeders in general. I even made my own method feeders and cage feeders through watching videos and doing some research but I couldn't find any article on making my own ground bait and even if I found one, the recipe contains vitalin which we don't have in our country. For now, I use liquidized bread and some flavors which works fine but I need something better than that.
If you guys could share some of your recipes, please.
I wish I had access to what you guys use but sadly I don't have. :(:(:(

rich66

Reaction score
Can you get pellets like we do ? They can be soaked for a few minutes then drained and pressed into a method feeder.
I use brown bread crumbs, mixed with 4mm pellets, liquidised sweet corn and dead maggot in my cage feeder, I’ve used it in the method too. Or just mold a lump of groundbait around your leger weight

Jelster

Reaction score
I use ground pellets for the base, and add in some 4mm pellets, sweetcorn, chopped luncheon meat, hemp, and bread crumb. I use a small amount of water and also add "liquid worm" which is an amazing attractant.

You just need something dry to make the base, and something smelly to attract the fish.

O

O.C.F.Disorder

Its hard to know what you do have access to.. Bread is pretty great. What are you fishing for? catfish?

Last edited:

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
do you have access to animal feeds such as pellets for chickens? they mixed with liquidised bred make a good base. you can then flavour it with sweet things such as sugar, molasses, coconut oil or spicy (you know what does that best!)
add a few particles such as chopped up cooked chickpeas, bits of worm, sweetcorn.

only thing with the chicken pellets is you need to cover it with boiling water, let the pellets fully soften and cool then add your liquidised bread and other bits and mix. if it's too sticky cut it down a bit with some flavoured flour and you can tweak this bankside as necessary.

logan_paul

Reaction score
yes I can get pellets but the thing is I haven't found a shop that sells sinking pellet and I haven't used floating pellets yet and I don't know weather they will stay on the method feeder or not.

sagalout

Reaction score
If you grind the floating pellets into powder you will have a very good method feeder groundbait. Floating pellets only float because of the air content, once ground they have no air. I only use ground pellets for all my ground bait and paste needs. Ground pellet will also act as a good carrier for other particles. Add bread crumd for a super sticky mix.

Experiment with the amount of water added to the ground pellet to achieve the correct consistency. If it is to wet it wn't break down.

mikench

Reaction score
Lakhyaman has a recipe for a groundbait of sorts including fine oat meal, grits and water with corn soaked in a curing compound called Kokanee ( available from amazon) and it works for carp! I am sure he will be along soon enough and he is very knowledgable! Search for his posts!

logan_paul

Reaction score
I have access to most of the thing you guys use but I don't know how to use them.

In our country, we have totally different tactics some of them are harmful, like using the Japanese touch-hook method, it's harmful because some of the time you can not release the fish coz i have seen them hooked from any angle like hooked through the eyes and some of them are fish friendly, like Wagler fishing and e.t.c

the targeted species in our country is called Catla carp Aka Major carp and Rohu [ You can see the pictures below ].

You can check the Wikipedia to know more about them or you can see the recent episodes from the Monster Carp by Ali Hamidi.

thumbnail copy.jpgthumbnail copy.jpgthumbnail copy.jpg

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
To make floating pellets sink, you can put some in a polythene bag and only just covered in water, tie the bag tight, making sure the pellets cannot move about, place in fridge overnight, and they will be soft and hookable in the morning, to make them sink, squeeze lightly. Doing this expels any air that may left in them, As for a homemade method mix, just use ground pellets and flavouring of your choice.

fishplate42

Reaction score
There are lots of recipes on my blog try THIS one to start with. I use it all the time for carp on a feeder. You should be able to get all the ingredients or something similar.

Ralph.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Scrounge small bits of likely local cheap ingredients - breads, chick-pea flour ("gram" or "besan" in many parts), cornmeal, rice flour, ground-up biscuits and cereals, if available (especially Corn Flakes) and whatever the locals feed their chickens, or use to bulk out their dog-food.
Then get experimenting, find out what binds groundbait together (the maize derivatives, cornflakes and cornmeal would be a good starting point, if available) and what falls apart (bran, biscuit meal); try blending them to get a mix that holds together for ten or twenty minutes, and use that as a starting-point.
Also , consider trying to combine pulses (chick-pea flour and bean-meals) with grains; this tends to supply a better range of amino-acids than grain or pulse alone (think beans-on-toast, rice-and-peas, rice and lentil curry - this trick is why vegetarians can survive).
Once you've got a nice blend (chickens and wild birds will soon tell you if it's any good, without you having to go fishing) you might like to mix the dry mix with egg, and boil briefly to make your own, themed boilies. Adding salt doesn't hurt, either, it preserves boilies and attracts fish).
P.S. Over here, carp LOVE chick-peas, and bread.
P.p.s.: Carp prefer fermenting food over putrefying; bung a bit of yeast in a small batch of your blend, and see if it develops extra attraction. Especially true of tinned sweetcorn...