It’s 2019: Let’s Have a Ban on Trebles.

Brianw999

Reaction score
I stopped using trebles something like 35 years ago when I figured that if I can catch and land other species on a single hook then why not do the same with Pike. I started to use double hooks with a small hook to secure the deadbait and a single larger hook to hook the Pike. I replaced the trebles on my lures with a single hook and filed the barb to a micro size.
I am not a prolific Pike fisherman but I have never lost a hooked pike and for this reason I would support a ban on trebles. I have seen far too many deep hooked fish that have subsequently died as a result of trebles closing their gullet.

Keith M

Reaction score
Has anybody used the treble hook disgorger that is sold in some tackleshops? (See pic with a treble hook shown inside the end)

I bought one about 25 years ago but I never got round to trying it because I stopped using treble hooks a long time ago; but it certainly looks like a very useful tool that is slid down the trace wire until the treble hook is felt and then pushed a little further to realease the hook hold; and then the bulbous bit is supposed to stop the flesh being rehooked as the treble hook & disgorger is removed from the pikes mouth.

It looks like a very good tool to have for unhooking treble hooks but I I wondered does it really work in practice as I haven’t seen many being used on the bank in my area or seen them sold in my local tackle shops?

Keith

Last edited: