Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Angling Trust urges RSPCA to stop blaming anglers for plastic problems

The Angling Trust has urged the RSPCA not to lay the blame at anglers’ feet following the publication this morning of an article in The Guardian suggesting that the majority of litter related wildlife incidents are caused by discarded fishing tackle. Instead the Angling Trust invites the RSPCA to join with it in highlighting the issue of litter and its impacts in both the marine and freshwater environments.
    Anglers take the issue of litter extremely seriously and the vast majority are responsible custodians of our countryside and coasts. The Angling Trust runs several initiatives to educate the small minority, working with their extensive network of over 2,200 clubs, fisheries and trade members to promote angling club litter clean ups, in which anglers in their thousands take part in across the country. The Trust also runs an initiative called Take 5 to inspire anglers to collect five pieces of (non-angling related) litter when packing their gear away, all in partnership with the Environment Agency.
    Over recent months a new enterprise to recycle used fishing line has also emerged. Known as the Anglers National Line Recycling Scheme, the Angling Trust is encouraging all anglers to utilise this free service to minimise the amount of fishing line that is sent to landfill.
    Furthermore, our 500 trained Voluntary Bailiffs have guidance on how to assist injured wildlife, which was drawn up in partnership with the National Swan Convention. The Trust has had a number of meetings with the RSPCA in the past to work jointly on this issue with them but regretfully they have declined to take this further.
    According to the RSPCA’s own figures, of the 579 incidents in 2018 involving plastic litter, only 29 were litter from angling and 550 were from general litter. Moreover, The Guardian article failed to acknowledge the contribution of commercial fishing to marine litter in particular, with reference to “discarded nets” from anglers. Discarded nets are likely to arise exclusively from commercial operations – not from recreational angling – and can cause major damage to wildlife both in the marine environment through ‘ghost fishing’ and by entangling animals when nets wash up onto the shore.
    The Angling Trust recognises that litter can become a problem in some areas. However, analysis of previous data provided by the RSPCA has shown that this is an issue primarily attributed to summer school holidays on open access waters, where inexperienced anglers are using inappropriate fishing equipment. The Trust wants to see more people take up angling and to access the many health and wellbeing benefits derived from participation but would urge everyone to first attend one of our managed and supervised “Get Fishing” family events, which can be found at*www.getfishing.org.uk.
    James Champkin, Campaigns Officer for the Angling Trust, said:*“No one likes to see litter around our lakes and rivers or spoiling our beaches, least of all anglers who spend more time enjoying our waterways than any other group. Many anglers are also keen birdwatchers and nature enthusiasts, and the last thing they would want to do is cause harm to the amazing wildlife that we share our sport with. The Angling Trust is keen to work with the RSPCA to help better educate the minority.
    Anglers are the driving force behind conservation of rivers and oceans and overall make a hugely positive contribution to the protection of habitats for wildlife with rod licence fees, donations and volunteer time. Our members support work by the Angling Trust and Fish Legal to campaign and take legal action to stop pollution and other damage to the water environment”

Source Article...

Default Re: Angling Trust urges RSPCA to stop blaming anglers for plastic problems

I doubt a serious angler would deliberately leave litter but we will all get tarred with the same brush

Default Re: Angling Trust urges RSPCA to stop blaming anglers for plastic problems

Hi

Sat fishing the other Saturday - 2 dog walkers went past with bottles of water in hand, just past me finished their water and threw them in the reservoir - the wind blew them into my bank so I netted them out and put them in my bag / and later in my home plastic recycle box. Was hoping they would go a second walk round so I could have said something. Amazing how many walkers on the canals drop litter too.

KevT

I thought the Guardian article on balance was fair although a bit confusing as to which data is attributed to what! Source article:- Animals and birds under increasing threat from plastic waste | Environment | The Guardian

The problem is confusing litter with "lost" line and hooks by both the Guardian/RSPCA and the angling trust; in my opinion they are different things. And it sites 3200 cases of harm done to wildlife by anglers lines etc from 4579 cases so I dont know where the 29 comes from in this by the AT if I have read this right. Both article and response does confuse the numbers somewhat but it might be a majority.
    Going by this latest round I think a proper liaison is needed between the AT and the RSPCA, not a war of words and fake news in the media.

However, this is a poor article, blurring the lines berween litter, plastic litter, harm to wildlife through plastic, lost commercial nets etc, litter from anglers and harm to wildlife from lost lines/hooks.
    Last edited by markg; 05-02-2019 at 06:05.

The only evidence you will ever find of me having occupied a fishing swim will be 6 holes. 4 for my chair and 2 for rod rests.

I have no time for the rspca and have dealt with them professionally quite a few times! I regularly pick up litter at fishing venues from beer cans to empty cans of luncheon meat!

Those who do this merit a new adjective as moron is far too generous!

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    I have no time for the rspca and have dealt with them professionally quite a few times! I regularly pick up litter at fishing venues from beer cans to empty cans of luncheon meat!

Those who do this merit a new adjective as moron is far too generous!
    I read thier leaflet on angling once Mike, it said they recognized angling was a sport enjoyed by many and they did not want it banned. It went on to advise ways of minimizing harm to wildlife by anglers. All very reasonable I thought and its thier job to do that. And lets not forget without them cruelty to animals would be a lot higher. Dealing with them in a proffessional capacity might be different but as a member of the general public visiting one of thier centers I felt rather grateful for them and for some of the shocking cases they were dealing with. On balance I think the world would be a worse place without them.
    I think the Guardian have used some quotes and statistics from the RSPCA to paint anglers in a bad light for thier readers. The AT should take it up with them rather than the RSPCA, just my opinion and my reading of the article the way they have laid it out. It worked as everyone is reacting to it as a case of the RSPCA blaming all wildlife harm caused by litter left by anglers including the AT. They would love to start a war between the AT and the RSPCA and they have. Clever these newspapers but you have to see through them.
    I urge the AT to wise up, outflank the Guardian, talk to the RSPCA who have a grasp on reality and have a war with the Guardian who don't.
    Last edited by markg; 07-02-2019 at 09:21.

The RSPCA does excellent work but I cannot come to terms with their silence on the barbaric Islamic practice of conscious-animal slaughter. I hope readers have strong stomachs......

Blog Entries

Cliff,

I am sure that the RSPCA have many faults but cannot see any link between the thread topic and animal slaughter of any kind.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Were it not for the enormity of this issue, Peter, I wouldn't have made the link.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast