Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 131 offences reported as volunteer bailiffs carry out over 3,650 patrols during c

Quote Originally Posted by Molehill View Post
    The problem with any licence is that once you make it compulsory then somehow it has to be checked and enforced. A TV licence, car tax licence, fishing licence, for instance and nobody has come up with a way of cost effectively checking fishing licences.
    If every licence purchased included the cost of a single days wages for a bailiff it would hike the cost astronomically, so currently we are working pretty much on trust that anglers purchase.
    If we want any enforcement then I can only see it being practical through volunteers, the tackle industry and clubs. For starters I don't think any angler should be able to renew or hold a club membership without a current licence, nobody should be on any commercial fishery without showing their licence when purchasing a ticket and no reason why you shouldn't have to show a licence every time you make a purchase from a tackle shop.
    Not saying I know how to achieve these and there are plenty of loopholes, but it is possible. Alternatively we forget about any licence altogether, or we don't moan at anglers who never purchase a licence and ate never challenged, or we pay an astronomical licence fee to have bailiffs wandering the banks and checking.
    But, would you pay for these volunteers through whatever means to give them some recompense for the good work they carry out on your behalf? And would anyone else?

If the Angling Trust set up a donation page directly for these volunteers; would anyone donate to it?

My guess, hardly anyone and it would become an embaressment.
    Last edited by markg; 12-08-2019 at 08:42.

Default Re: 131 offences reported as volunteer bailiffs carry out over 3,650 patrols during c

I suppose that depends on the cost and again how it is collected (voluntary donations?). I do plenty of voluntary conservation work nearly all year round, I could add up the 100s of hours per year I do but can't be bothered just now - they are all recorded - as part of our red squirrel conservation scheme, I am not paid for it nor expect any payment. Is this similar and should I expect payment from the public?
    Anyway, have to go now so can't debate further.

This is a job with legal training, police work, dangerous, uniformed, employed by a big organization with Government backing, its a serious business not a bit of chariry work in someones spare time.
    And backed by a million + anglers except when it comes to giving/offering them anything because they couldn't give a s--- really. Not one angler on here has given it a it a second thought, and I have asked a few times.
    Last edited by markg; 13-08-2019 at 06:49.

My (very controversial) long term view of licencing is as follows:
    Every user of inland waterways pays the same annual (with day, weekly alternatives etc.) fee towards whatever agency is looking after our water - keeping them clean, prosecuting pollution, wildlife habitat. So this is anglers, canoes, inland sailing, wild swimmers and every beggar roaring in any sort of power boat/contraption (though I would prefer to ban them altogether!). There may be more.
    Much of this would have to be collected at source, through shops and clubs and a minimum number of enforcement bailiffs, whose sole job was enforcement.
    I know there are massive ifs and buts and problems there, but ultimately I believe every person that uses the waterways should pay something to their upkeep and cleanliness.

This has popped up on my Facebook page this morning.

This has popped up on my Facebook page this morning.

Great, we are becoming a Gestapo stooge state, if that's what you want, your welcome to it and still, no one thinks a bunch of good people doing good difficult work on your behalf should get anything for it.
    Last edited by markg; 14-08-2019 at 06:45.

Angling has plenty of money, over 30 million in licence fees, the AT get £750,000 of that I believe. Yet these people dont get one penny of that as I understand it. I think that is absolutely shameful. Anglers will spend hundreds on thier gear and clubs but none on these people and thats absolutely shameful as well.
    Where does all that money go, club toilets, crucians, golf jaunts, pensions da de da, but not one penny to those who REALLY really deserve and earn some of it and that really is criminal!
    But of course, they volunteer so, they don't count and they are worthless.
    Last edited by markg; 14-08-2019 at 08:29.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12