Super trawlers in the Channel: Tim Macpherson comments on what it means for fish stoc

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Reports of a super trawler operating in the English Channel has sparked concerns over fish stocks from sea anglers. Tim Macpherson, Angling Trust Director and editor of Saltwater Boat Angling magazine, comments.

More...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Talk about complicated if anyone manages to understand all of that. I still say we will be better off managing a 12 mile zone or where it is equidistant with the French coast. The author says it will not make any difference to our fish stocks as these trawlers will still be catching our fish stocks outside the zone but I would offer a lot less of them and more fish and commerce will come our way; not to other countries like Lithuania or Holland. If they want our fish so badly they can buy them off us which they will and we may not have to import so many fish as well, it’s a win win and a hell of a lot less complicated.
I am not anti-EU and Brexit may turn out to be a disaster but I am convinced in the fishery area we will benefit a lot in the long term, not that I will be around to see it.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It was good to hear keen sea angler Farage talking (moaning) about this on his LBC show last Sunday (a light entertainment show, nothing to do with politics:)) he recommended that the extinction rebellion campaigners unlock and unglue themselves from Westminster and get their sorry @rses down to the south coast.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It was good to hear keen sea angler Farage talking (moaning) about this on his LBC show last Sunday (a light entertainment show, nothing to do with politics:)) he recommended that the extinction rebellion campaigners unlock and unglue themselves from Westminster and get their sorry @rses down to the south coast.

And jump off Brighton Pier :)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought the article was a well balanced description of the situation and especially where it was pointed out that whether a large vessels take fish or lots of smaller ones take the same amount then the effect on the fish stocks is the same.

The fact remains that 80% of fish caught by UK vessels is still sold in Europe or that leaving with no deal will result in huge problems for uk boars, remembering that even the pallets the fish are stored and exported on would then require health certificates.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Europe? I read somewhere that much of the catch is destined for Africa, if this is correct something is very wrong with our regulations.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The latest figures I could find show that last year 75% of all uk boat caught fish were exported to Europe with less than 10% going to Africa, and most of that went via Rotterdam which does skew the figures somewhat and is known in economics as the "Rotterdam Effect"

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Europe? I read somewhere that much of the catch is destined for Africa, if this is correct something is very wrong with our regulations.

It was the Dutch / Lithuanian trawler that sent most of the fish to Africa according to the ITV article.