The 50lber – Let’s see the doubters’ ‘proof’!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Editor’s preface.

It is, perhaps, to my and Eddie Benham’s discredit that our determination to exonerate the late Martin Gay from the Carp Society’s ill-judged decree on his unprecedented carp captures has led us a little too far into Paul Selman’s fantasy world…we have indulged him for too long and at a time when the truth about Martin’s 50lb common carp (and half a ton of other big specimens) must surely be dawning on the angling world. Paul Selman knows his game is up; he knows his story is utterly ridiculous and now seeks only to muddy the water further by tossing the occasional nugget of sheer nonsense into the mix. It is nothing less than infantile.

So let’s let Eddie wrap things up with his direct request to those who lay claim to irrefutable evidence of the fish’s provenance…

Martin's UK 48lber.jpg

One of the criticisms levelled at Martin is that he did not mention dates in his first series of articles in 1989, so when he wrote-up his 1990 carp catches he made a point of putting in the dates, one of which was Tuesday 14[SUP]th[/SUP] of August. I have a copy of the minutes of the Moor Hall & Belhus A.S. and he is recorded as being present at that meeting, so not in Canada. That’s a FACT and this alone stymies Selman’s ‘explanation’.

The same Committee previously saw the untouched photos of the 50lb common and saw nothing unusual in them. Robin Monday, however (who started all this off) stated, “As far as I can remember, there was a notice board in the background which may have given something away, but the general scenery was not that of an English lake”. Well the rest of us all agree about the notice board but we all thought that the background looked exactly like that of an ordinary English lake! This too is a FACT.

Then Selman comes onto the scene with this statement of ‘fact. He says “It is a FACT that when Martin caught those fish he was on holiday in British Colombia, Canada” He goes on. “It is my UNDERSTANDING that the part of the picture blocked out did indeed show a Canadian mountain landscape. These CONCLUSIONS were also accepted as FACT by the Carp Society leadership of the time”.

Unbelievable! They destroyed Martin’s good name and reputation, NOT on any proof but on an UNDERSTANDING.

He was challenged by Geoff Maynard who said, “Interesting Paul. However, BC is not really a known big carp area to my knowledge”.
Selman responded with “Geoff, there is fantastic big carp fishing in B.C., one of my friends is a guide there”.

Then 25 years later when his story was roundly rubbished, Selman came up with a brand new set of ‘FACTS’. In a complete turnaround he told us “The fish were caught from a warm water outlet from Lennox Power Station on Lake Ontario, bits of the power station are missed off so as not to reveal the location” and continues with this little gem: “Martins relatives have always lived in Ontario and not BC and Ontario is a noted carp area, British Columbia isn’t”. What was that he told Geoff Maynard? Didn’t he previously assure us it was a ‘fantastic’ carp-fishing area?

No one who saw the photos, including Robin Monday, saw either of those contrived scenarios – and that is a FACT.
Selman has recently claimed that his mates are fishing the actual swim at Lennox power station and “…are doing quite well”.

Really?

Here’s a photo of the warm water outlet at Lennox which was sent to me by Terry Brady, the Environmental Advisor at Lennox and whose office actually overlooks the outlet. Terry told me that fishing is strictly banned there and that security-patrols would eject anyone on site without authority. Has everyone got that?

So Martin was supposed to have free-lined sweetcorn here and Selman’s mates are fishing here and ‘doing well’ apparently. Their camouflage gear must be pretty damn good then!

Selman also said that Martin should have blocked out the plants in the photos as they were not a species native to the UK. However, I was informed by a biologist at Queen’s University that one plant was “…a common introduced weed in rough soils across Britain” and that the grass was “..a common introduced upland grass across the British Isles”.

I also consulted four geologists, independently, including a Professor, regarding the pebbles in the photos. They all agreed that the pebbles found at Lennox are of a completely different type to those in the photos. Dr Peter Allen wrote “The Kame Shelf photo has flat rounded disc shaped pebbles – good for my boyhood delight of skimming pebbles on water, whereas the fish photo has angular/ sub angular equant pebbles – useless for skimming. I can say that the beach pebbles on the fish photo are not the same place as those on the Kames photo and that they are different places”.
Pretty obvious really, but it’s good to get it confirmed by an expert geologist.

So much for Selmans ‘FACTS’.

Now, I understand, that Peter Gibbinson has stated he has PROOF that the fish were caught in Canada. According to Tim Paisley in Carpworld, April 1990, Jim Gibbinson wrote a letter to both Coarse Angler and Anglers Mail SUGGESTING the fish had been caught in Canada. Further to that, in Cyprinews, June 1990, Jim wrote “In view of the fact that both Rick and I BELIEVE the fish to have been caught in Canada…” How is it then that Peter Gibbinson says he can provide PROOF when his father, Jim, and his brother, Rick, cannot? Robin Monday has also stated that he can provide PROOF but, to date, he hasn’t done so: Well,why not!

It’s because he can’t. He doesn’t have any proof. It appears that he is a weak individual who has got caught up with the fabrications regarding Canada which, incidentally, he never even mentioned.

So come on then Peter Gibbinson and Robin Monday – let us all see your proof, and how about you, Mr Selman? Benny and the rest of us would love to see it.

But we WON’T because you have none, zilch, nothing at all.

Eddie Benham.

Source Article...

Last edited by a moderator:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Sorry Cliff

is it 48 or 50 ?
When you hover over the picture the title of it is martins-uk-48lber.jpg

stevejay

Reaction score
And so the saga goes on, fuelled again by yet another new thread.

The irony is this could be brought to a clear end by those in the know publishing the evidence they have, yet are reluctant to publish and instead prolong it by asking the doubters to produce evidence.

Would it really matter now if the uncensored pictures were shared or the venue named? That fish is unlikely to be still alive so can't follow the argument that it will open up the floodgates of anglers flocking to the lake, wherever it is!

eddiebenham

Reaction score

The irony is this could be brought to a clear end by those in the know publishing the evidence they have, yet are reluctant to publish and instead prolong it by asking the doubters to produce evidence.

Would it really matter now if the uncensored pictures were shared or the venue named? That fish is unlikely to be still alive so can't follow the argument that it will open up the floodgates of anglers flocking to the lake, wherever it is!

Hi Stevejay

Martin went to the Grave swearing never to reveal the real name of the venue and Cliff and I will do the same. We've called it Gaymire and will always think of it as that. We have both fished there by invitation and I was fortunate enough to catch a lovely Mirror. As you rightly point out the fish Martin caught is unlikely to still be alive, but there are likely to be other very big fish which are descendants of those Martin caught. Martin claimed to have seen a Carp which he reckoned was 60 lb so who knows how big they could grow to. The real name of the water will remain undisclosed. By the way I've never been to Canada.
The doubters claim to have PROOF (different to Evidence) but have failed to disclose it.
You've read the rubbish spouted by Selman and his 1,000,000 percent BC changed to 1,000,000 percent Ontario.
Don't tell me that you believe it.
Look at the what the Botanist and geologists told me.
It's not Canada in the photos at all . FACT.
Compare those photos to the warm water outlet photo where Selman says Martin fished and his mates have recently fished, yet according to the Authorities you would be evicted as it's No Fishing and Dangerous.
So come on Selman, Monday and now Gibbinson - Let's see your PROOF and put this to bed.
The silence is deafening isn't it ?
If NO PROOF is forthcoming then I think we can conclude that there is none and everyone should accept that Martin was stitched up by The Carp Society back then, and that therefore his claim that the fish were English should be upheld.

sam vimes

Reaction score
There's absolutely nothing new here. Nothing is going to change, it's utterly futile. Just a couple of collections of mates with opposing views of a saga of no real significance. Regardless of anything else, Martin's captures came after a verified 51lb 8oz fish, ergo, it was never a record fish anyway. Martin's fish was not weighed properly. For that reason alone, it could never be verified, even if it could have actually been bigger than 51lb 8oz. All the other rubbish is diversionary, and irrelevant, nonsense

Everything else is just horseplop. A decades old bitching session between two parties of people that should be old enough to know better by now. Exactly where it was caught is irrelevant. Frankly, it's got to the point that I doubt anyone, other than those bitching at each other, could care less.

The real story is this:- Bloke catches big fish. It was big enough that it might have been a record. Unfortunately, he failed to weigh it properly. He also (entirely reasonably) didn't want to divulge the location of the water.

His mates believe in him and believe it was a record fish. The Carp Society don't believe. For some bizarre reason, some folks have proposed some wild theories to discredit a tale that didn't actually matter a jot anyway. Almost everyone else has just a passing interest and no more. The end.

Sadly, it won't be the end, but it really, really, should be.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Sorry Cliff

is it 48 or 50 ?
When you hover over the picture the title of it is martins-uk-48lber.jpg

Fair enough, Benny. It was reported at '48' so, yes, maybe I should stick to that line; but remember, Martin sat next to me on my sofa and told me how the fish bottomed-out a newly-purchased set of 50lb scales. He reckoned there was probably another couple of pounds to go!

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
There's absolutely nothing new here. Nothing is going to change, it's utterly futile. Just a couple of collections of mates with opposing views of a saga of no real significance. Regardless of anything else, Martin's captures came after a verified 51lb 8oz fish, ergo, it was never a record fish anyway. Martin's fish was not weighed properly. For that reason alone, it could never be verified, even if it could have actually been bigger than 51lb 8oz. All the other rubbish is diversionary, and irrelevant, nonsense

Everything else is just horseplop. A decades old bitching session between two parties of people that should be old enough to know better by now. Exactly where it was caught is irrelevant. Frankly, it's got to the point that I doubt anyone, other than those bitching at each other, could care less.

The real story is this:- Bloke catches big fish. It was big enough that it might have been a record. Unfortunately, he failed to weigh it properly. He also (entirely reasonably) didn't want to divulge the location of the water.

His mates believe in him and believe it was a record fish. The Carp Society don't believe. For some bizarre reason, some folks have proposed some wild theories to discredit a tale that didn't actually matter a jot anyway. Almost everyone else has just a passing interest and no more. The end.

Sadly, it won't be the end, but it really, really, should be.

Thanks, Sam, for taking enough interest in this to post your latest thoughts on the matter, but nobody on 'our' side of the issue - and that includes Martin - has ever focussed on the fish's status as a record-breaker...nobody is or was bothered. Also, Sam (and this is important!) it simply isn't good enough to write that 'For some bizarre reason, some folks have proposed some wild theories to discredit a tale..." That's surely tantamount to your acknowledging the Carp Society's stitch-up.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score

Steve! Have you actually read a word, mate?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Thanks, Sam, for taking enough interest in this to post your latest thoughts on the matter, but nobody on 'our' side of the issue - and that includes Martin - has ever focussed on the fish's status as a record-breaker...nobody is or was bothered. Also, Sam (and this is important!) it simply isn't good enough to write that 'For some bizarre reason, some folks have proposed some wild theories to discredit a tale..." That's surely tantamount to your acknowledging the Carp Society's stitch-up.

Whatever I believe is irrelevant. I have no interest in, or influence on, the Carp Society, or its members, past or present.

As I said before. The kernel of the story is that a bloke caught a big fish. Some believe the tale, some don't. Most don't really care either way. All this is now is a continuation of a thirty year old fued that should never have started in the first place.

If this was a gang of ordinary forum members against another bunch of ordinary members, they'd all have been banned years ago. It really is time to let it go. It does no one any good dragging it up every year.

Windy

Reaction score
The kernel of the story is that a bloke caught a big fish. Some believe the tale, some don't.

If this was a gang of ordinary forum members against another bunch of ordinary members, they'd all have been banned years ago. It really is time to let it go.

Quoted for truth.

Another Dave

Reaction score
What's the species of grass that we can see in the picture near the fish's tail?

Philip

Reaction score
Crikey I am going to sound like a broken record here but as I asked on the other thread (and the other and the other and the other....) ..is Martins wife Yvonne aware this is being dredged up again so publicly ?

By all accounts it sounded like she just wanted this to go away so I wonder that should she be made aware her late husbands name was being dragged through the mud yet again 25 years on she may now be so pig sick of it that she will magically find the unedited photos in the cardboard box in the downstairs [bungalow, noted Eddie] cupboard and make them public.

That would be fantastic wouldnt it ! ...the one (and only) bit of evidence that actually matters for us all to have a good look at.

steve2

Reaction score
This ongoing post makes you realise why many big fish go unreported. If I caught a 60lb carp tomorrow or big fish of any species it wouldn't be reported. If a well known angler can get slated what chance as mister nobody.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have spent close to 5 hours (over several days) re-reading threads on this topic both on here and on the old Fishingwharehouse site and to be perfectly honest, and looking from a legal standpoint, I see absolutely no concrete evidence to support the propositions from, either side.

Personally, I am not convinced but would not, and do not,
suggest that either party are not being anything short of honest as they view the situation.

There is a lot of circumstantial evidence but little or
no demonstrable evidence, the type of which one would
rely upon in Court. This being due to the fact that it is
a deduction based on the facts, but in this case those facts are simply not demonstrable.

There is a lot of character evidence, from both sides,
which while that attempts to prove a person's actions has
no weight unless supported by phyical evidence which in
this case appears to have been lost.

In addition there seems to be a host of anecdotal evidence which goes to explain an action, but on its own cannot be given guaranteed credence, as it can be "cherry picked" to support a proposition.

It seems that this is the classic case of "he said, she said" and while it is laudible that friends have continued to fight what they see, or deem to be, an injustice until and unless evidence of a legal standard is offered there can be no solution.

Given that one party are not regular contributors to FM, and therefore do not see these threads, then maybe the best way forward it to just let this prickly topic rest?

eddiebenham

Reaction score
As I said before. The kernel of the story is that a bloke caught a big fish. Some believe the tale, some don't. Most don't really care either way. All this is now is a continuation of a thirty year old fued that should never have started in the first place.

Hi Sam...............I think you're missing the point here. It's was not some bloke catching a big fish, it was Martin Gay catching a huge fish and lots of big fish and that is what really ****** off the Carp fraternity.
Martin never made any claims to the Carp Society or anyone else about it being a new record, he wasn't interested in records and he knew that any claim would not be accepted as it was not weighed properly and he would not reveal the location.
He never made a claim yet the Carp Society stated that they turned down his claims on an UNDERSTANDING given to them by Selman that a Canadian Mountain Landscape had been blocked out. An UNDERSTANDING that was turned into FACT.
I saw lots of the photos, as did others, and none of us, even Robin Monday saw no Mountains (or Power Stations as Selman claimed 25 years later, with his previously 1 million per cent BC amazingly becoming 1 million per cent Ontario)
The point is that this is about Martin and his previously good reputation being destroyed by these concocted stories.
This is about Martin and his good name, not a record fish, and an attempt by Cliff and I to restore that reputation. The huge Carp, which triggered this, is incidental. If it had been a 5lb Rudd we would have heard no more about it.
So if Selman, Monday and now Gibbinson have PROOF then why have they not published it for all to see. Why have we not seen this proof years ago instead of making up stories about Mountains and Power Station warm water outlets.
Well I think I can answer that - They have NO PROOF that the fish were caught in Canada.

eddiebenham

Reaction score
What's the species of grass that we can see in the picture near the fish's tail?

Hi Dave.................Terry Brady the Environmental Advisor at Lennox Power Station sent some photos to a Biologist at Queens University.
She got back to him with.
BW photo - " Tough to say, but it may be Horseweed (Conyza canadensis) - a common introduced weed in rough soils across Britain".
Colour photo - "I'm pretty sure the grasses on the right of this photo are of Poa pratensis (Kentucky blue grass), a common introduced upland grass across the British Isles".

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Crikey I am going to sound like a broken record here but as I asked on the other thread (and the other and the other and the other....) ..is Martins wife Yvonne aware this is being dredged up again so publicly ?

By all accounts it sounded like she just wanted this to go away so I wonder that should she be made aware her late husbands name was being dragged through the mud yet again 25 years on she may now be so pig sick of it that she will magically find the unedited photos in the cardboard box in the downstairs [bungalow, noted Eddie] cupboard and make them public.

That would be fantastic wouldnt it ! ...the one (and only) bit of evidence that actually matters for us all to have a good look at.

Phil: Eddie and I are dragging the good name of Martin Gay OUT of the mud...the mud so scurrilously created and stirred by the Carp Society for nearly 30 years.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Hi Sam...............I think you're missing the point here. It's was not some bloke catching a big fish, it was Martin Gay catching a huge fish and lots of big fish and that is what really ****** off the Carp fraternity.
Martin never made any claims to the Carp Society or anyone else about it being a new record, he wasn't interested in records and he knew that any claim would not be accepted as it was not weighed properly and he would not reveal the location.

Sorry Eddie, I'm missing nothing, not one thing. I'm afraid that you, and others involved, are too caught up in this nonsense to be objective about it. If the Carp Society had been remotely sensible, they'd have simply ignored the whole thing. That's what should have happened once the angling press had run with the story. However, what really should have happened is that, being so keen to keep things under wraps, the captor and his mates should have just kept their traps shut and not told a soul.

Everything else, all the claims of proof, all the conspiracy theories, claims and counter claims are unneccessary fluff that does nothing but prolong the nonsense that should never have started. Celebrate your friend, and his capture, by all means, but it's time to accept that he's never going to get any recognition from the Carp Society. As far as the wider angling fraternity is concerned, it's all irrelevant anyway.

The whole damned lot of you should be old and wise enough by now to know better than prolong this saga. At the root of it all, it was just a fish, not even a record fish, and it's just fishing. There is nothing life enhancing going to come of repeatedly dredging this up, no matter who is right or wrong.

If you (all) insist on doing so, it might be nice if you exclude the innocent bystanders from what should be private bitchfests.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Comments noted, but our viewing statistics would suggest interest 10 x that for other topics.

Serious car crashes and a good catfight attract lots of attention. It doesn't automatically follow that lots of attention means it's a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.