Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Anglers, clubs and fishery managers urged to use review to get cormorants on the

Anglers are good at complaining to each other about problems such as cormorants, pollution, abstraction. But I don't think many anglers want to take part in surveys, because it will take too much effort.

Earlier this year the EA asked anglers to fill in a survey concerning the close season for coarse fish in rivers. Only 13,600 anglers responded. Yet about a million anglers buy an EA rod licence each year. So that's a response rate of just 1% of anglers.

Default Re: Anglers, clubs and fishery managers urged to use review to get cormorants on the

Quote Originally Posted by keora View Post
    Anglers are good at complaining to each other about problems such as cormorants, pollution, abstraction. But I don't think many anglers want to take part in surveys, because it will take too much effort.

Earlier this year the EA asked anglers to fill in a survey concerning the close season for coarse fish in rivers. Only 13,600 anglers responded. Yet about a million anglers buy an EA rod licence each year. So that's a response rate of just 1% of anglers.
    Your right of course but I think it's more a lack of faith in them is why anglers don't respond. And a lot of anglers think they are a bit loaded in the questions they ask or how they are put. I think that was the case with the AT one on the close season and some think the AT are just part of the EA anyway and wouldn’t oppose them because they receive money from them (echoes of Crow). The close season remained the same and some thought the survey was just ignored and it was always going to be ignored. Just thinking aloud there but I can see why some don't bother anymore. Oh, another survey, so what; it won't make any difference. I bet that's how a lot think.

And it's the same for these independent ones, loads of talk will follow and all the opposing interested parties will just argue the toss for months or even years and in the end nothing or not much will happen, I wouldn’t be surprised if even brexit will fade away one day despite the survey!
    Last edited by markg; 08-12-2019 at 08:57.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by keora View Post

I have no doubt that in part your comment above does hold water.
    I'll take a different stance in that I never take part in any surveys for the simple reason I refuse to trust any such surveys, petitions or any other that needs me to put any information that requires my details. I cited the AT being toothless for me not wasting time, that was pointed out to be an error on my part as the AT were not responsible for the survey, that was only part of it.
    I've read too many times of unscrupulous individuals getting into bank accounts, for that reason I never go into you tube or the like either.
    I know there are some who would think I'm more than a little over cautious but I can live with that, I can tell you my bank accounts never been robbed. My refusal to take part is nothing to do too much effort. Anyone who's had to work for a living has a good idea of effort, filling in a survey is a long way from effort.
    Sorry for banging on but I think it needed saying.
    Last edited by rayner; 11-12-2019 at 12:12. Reason: spelling error

A lack of faith does breed apathy and the poor turnout whilst alarming does not unduly surprise me. It will no doubt be echoed on Thursday. If the survey was to consult on a fishing ban would the response have been different and greater. That is a rhetorical question as I fear the answer.

The EA can only conclude that as 99% of anglers didn't participate they remain indifferent to change so we cannot complain if a change we don't like or don't want occurs.

As Martin Luther King said your life begins to end the moment you start being silent about the things that matter.

We have a vote and a voice ; use it!
    Last edited by mikench; 11-12-2019 at 16:33.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12